GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Are you happy you opted for the 2.4 Ecotec versus the 3.0 V6?

• Yes, very happy with the 2.4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's ok and gets the job done

• I like it, but wish it had more power

• I appreciate the gas mileage, but wish I had the V6 for towing

• Don't like it, wish I had gotten the V6

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned some good 4cyl engines in the past including an Acura Integra and a Toyota Corolla GTS with the legendary AE86, but I have to say that neither of those engines could motivate something the size/weight of the Equinox without destroying themselves. I would put the smoothness on par with Acura/Honda 4 bangers, and loads more torque than the twin cam/16 valve Toyota engine. The Ecotec 4cyl is never going to provide the kind of acceleration you get with a V8 or good V6 (or the smoothness at idle)...but is surprisingly good if you really get into the throttle and realize that inline 4's are meant to be revved. Getting anywhere close to 30mpg with a vehicle of this size and weight without sacrificing a great deal of performance is a major achievement for GM in my book..

·
Registered
446 Posts
GM ECOTEC I4 engine has a long and very interesting history. I personally LOVE this engine. We had a similar power plant in our HHR before we bought the 'Nox and I give that engine alone the reason why both these vehicles were/are so fun to drive.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mixed emotions. I know that the DIC is supposed to be noisy, but why can't the ME's figure out how to do it more quietly; like replace my fuel pump so my engine sounds more like my Camaro V-6 (2010) which is a lot quieter. If I did it over I would get the V-6 . Also, you have to drive this Nox like a little old lady to get any decent mpg. The best I can average is 22 mpg. That's with 75% intown driving. I now have 3500 miles.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Charlie, the V6 uses a different DI system. They actually have isolators on the FI so that they dont rattle like our I4 does. I remember reading that GM tried to do it with the I4 but it gave even worse feedback.

As with your fuel mileage, thats not true at all for us. We can really drive it and still get around 24-25 MPGs. We dont take it that easy but let the RPMs climb to 3k or so before it shifts to the next gear. If you take too long to get to speed, it seems to do much worse in the MPG.

I personally enjoy driving the Terrain. Its very smooth for a I4 and has plenty of power if you need it. Id seriously rather have the better MPG and so-so power than so-so MPG and so-so power (the 3.0 V6). My mother in law is averaging 16 MPG in pure city driving with her V6.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I've had 2 - 2.2 Ecotech engines and they have been great. The 2.4 has 182 hp. is fuel efficent and has good power. It's also very easy to do your own oil changes as it uses a cartridge filter that is mounted on the top of the engine.

·
Registered
698 Posts
bballr4567 said:
Id seriously rather have the better MPG and so-so power than so-so MPG and so-so power (the 3.0 V6). My mother in law is averaging 16 MPG in pure city driving with her V6.
My feelings are the opposite. I can't imagine driving a Terrain with any less power than the V6. And I wouldn't want to preclude myself from future towing. You never know when you might want to buy a boat, ski-doo, travel (tent) trailer, etc. Unless of course your Terrain/Equinox is your secondary vehicle...

At 11,000 kms, I'm seeing just over 20 US MPG in 95% urban driving.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Terrain said:
My feelings are the opposite. I can't imagine driving a Terrain with any less power than the V6. And I wouldn't want to preclude myself from future towing. You never know when you might want to buy a boat, ski-doo, travel (tent) trailer, etc. Unless of course your Terrain/Equinox is your secondary vehicle...

At 11,000 kms, I'm seeing just over 20 US MPG in 95% urban driving.
Our Terrain is a secondary vehicle and we never haul anything. If we did, I would get a truck no questions asked.

Im sorry but after driving both, back to back for over 300 miles each, the I4 is clearly the better engine. If there was a 3.6 underhood, it would be no contest, with the 3.0, GM screwed all you V6 buyers.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I love the 2.4. Tons of grunt down low.

All of the reviews are right, it's the engine to get (unless you're hauling stuff). I've driven both extensively (own the 2.4), and I would get the 2.4 again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
315 Posts
You guys should define "extensively"....What a test drive?

I get to drive the I4 for work (lots of miles) and my V6 on the weekends

The V6 is so much more fun to drive

With 2 people in the I4 and my work tools....I hear and feel the car straining to drive to my style.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I drove ours from Evansville, IN to Nashville, TN. Then I drove my MILs V6 from Nashville, TN to Pigeon Ford, TN.

By far, the I4 is the better engine to ME. Like I said, if it was the 3.6, it would be no brainer and we would have a V6 under the hood. Comparing the two engines, if you dont haul anything heavy, the I4 is the obvious choice. If you need the hauling "power" of the V6, then spend the $1500 and getting it but just to have the V6, it seems like an awful waste of money to ME.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
grometsc said:
You guys should define "extensively"....What a test drive?

I have 26k in a I4 (1LT for work) and 4k in my V6

The V6 is so much more fun to drive.
I can't speak for the other guys, but I'll admit that my only experience with the V6 was a short test drive. I actually thought I was driving another 4cyl just in a different trim level until the salesman spoke up...I had to pop the hood when we were done to make sure. It really didn't feel any stronger to me, but then again I didn't get on the gas pedal enough to make any difference. I used that experience plus the overwhelming majority of professional reviewers saying the I4 was a better choice to make my decision. That and the fact that my brother has a 03 Silverado I can borrow any time I need to tow anything. (which is practically never) To each his own though, if you prefer the V6 and need the towing capability then that is fine....nobody really has to justify their choice of engine.

·
Registered
830 Posts
bballr4567 said:
Our Terrain is a secondary vehicle and we never haul anything. If we did, I would get a truck no questions asked.

Im sorry but after driving both, back to back for over 300 miles each, the I4 is clearly the better engine. If there was a 3.6 underhood, it would be no contest, with the 3.0, GM screwed all you V6 buyers.
You and everybody including reviewer who tryed the V6 all get misled by it first miles. (are you more happy now Terrain)

I was also thinking that way when i got my Terrain, because during the initial break-in the motor is sluggish and seems to be low powered...

But now i'm 3000km and the motor is very powerful. When we kick-down the truck almost fly.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Terrain said:
SuperMat I get a kick out of some of your responses... "who tried the V6 all get screwed". What the heck were you trying to say? Not trying to bust your chops... I went to the University of Ottawa and had lots of francophone friends, so I understand that sometimes things get lost in translation.

Unfortunately, this thread has already degenerated into an I4 vs V6 similar to a sunroof vs non and leather vs cloth. People will always defend what they have. There's no sense arguing...
Maybe i don't always get the right words but at least i'm trying to write english at my best.

In the opposite : are you able to find a lot of english speaking persons who try to speak french ?

And why are you coming back to me with my "screwed" and not the one of bballr from who i took the word. If you don't understand what i want to say just ask me or help me find the right words in place of bitching me.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SuperMat64 said:
Maybe i don't always get the right words but at least i'm trying to write english at my best.

In the opposite : are you able to find a lot of english speaking persons who try to speak french ?

And why are you coming back to me with my "screwed" and not the one of bballr from who i take the word. If you don't understand what i want to say just ask me or help me find the right words in place of bitching me.
I got what you were saying, but I don't think the V6 owners got "screwed" because they do have the power to tow a reasonable amount of weight...but it comes at the expense of a little fuel economy and not much more everyday performance. Like I said before, my only experience with the V6 was a short test drive..but I just didn't feel the extra 82hp, and I did have a V6 in mind when I was looking at small SUV's since I didn't want to feel underpowered like the Honda CRV I also test drove.

·
Registered
830 Posts
NoobNox said:
I got what you were saying, but I don't think the V6 owners got "screwed" because they do have the power to tow a reasonable amount of weight...but it comes at the expense of a little fuel economy and not much more everyday performance. Like I said before, my only experience with the V6 was a short test drive..but I just didn't feel the extra 82hp, and I did have a V6 in mind when I was looking at small SUV's since I didn't want to feel underpowered like the Honda CRV I also test drove.
That's exactly what i said about the V6... i was also a little disappointed when i took my Terrain out of the lot... (the one i test drove was a 4cyl, there wasnt any 6cyl available to test when i ordered back in february)

But now the more km's i put on it the more i feel the real power !

So what i wanted to say is that anyone who tried the V6 brand new for a couple km was misled by it break-in performances...

Don't worry i was not really responding to your comment when i answered Terrain's comment... I do my best to write english and to get understanded by everyone and i really prefer to get help to get better than a comment like Terrain left...

·
Registered
698 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
Don't worry i was not really responding to your comment when i answered Terrain's comment... I do my best to write english and to get understanded by everyone and i really prefer to get help to get better than a comment like Terrain left...
Wow. Unreal.

You just don't get my euphemism. I shouldn't be surprised and have subsequently deleted my comment. For the record, I can't write in french worth sh!t, but I can carry on a pretty good conversation. I am, after all, a Canadian and as such was forced to take french language classes pretty much from kindergarten all the way up to the upper years of high school.

BTW I still don't get the point you were trying to make by saying V6 owners got screwed. I don't feel I got screwed at all!

To everyone else... sorry to hijack.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Terrain said:
Wow. Unreal.

You just don't get my euphemism. I shouldn't be surprised and have subsequently deleted my comment. For the record, I can't write in french worth sh!t, but I can carry on a pretty good conversation. I am, after all, a Canadian and as such was forced to take french language classes pretty much from kindergarten all the way up to the upper years of high school.

BTW I still don't get the point you were trying to make by saying V6 owners got screwed. I don't feel I got screwed at all!

To everyone else... sorry to hijack.
Just go up to read bballr post.

·
Registered
698 Posts
^ I DID but he just seems to be justifying his purchase of the 2.4 and saying the 3.0 is unnecessary.

Ahh I just give up. I love my V6 and wouldn't even test drive the 4-cylinder. End of story for me. I LOVE the sound of my 3.0, especially when it's revving to 4,000 - 6,000 RPM. mmmm sounds awesome!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Terrain said:
^ I DID but he just seems to be justifying his purchase of the 2.4 and saying the 3.0 is unnecessary.

Ahh I just give up. I love my V6 and wouldn't even test drive the 4-cylinder. End of story for me. I LOVE the sound of my 3.0, especially when it's revving to 4,000 - 6,000 RPM. mmmm sounds awesome!
I love it too... That's the point... i was referring to his comment about the lack of performance of the V6 and to all the reviewers that said the same thing. The V6 when new seems to lack of power but this is changing when completing the break-in the engine become a lot more smoother. So everybody who was not satisfied when was trying the V6 was misled by that...

Let me know if you understand now.

·
Registered
698 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
I love it too... That's the point... i was referring to his comment about the lack of performance of the V6 and to all the reviewers that said the same thing. The V6 when new seems to lack of power but this is changing when completing the break-in the engine become a lot more smoother. So everybody who was not satisfied when was trying the V6 was misled by that...

Let me know if you understand now.
I know... that's what's making me laugh here. I get that you love your V6. I love mine too. Don't know what it sounds like from the outside but on acceleration from the inside it sounds pretty darn cool. Revs so smoothly up to 7,000 rpm. If you love yours now at 3,000 km you are going to LOVE how smooth and how it pulls at 12,000 (where I am now).

And besides, you don't get the dual chrome exhaust outlets with the 4-banger.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts