GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Equinox 1LT 4cylinder. I was wondering if anyone uses the ECO mode button? I used it for an hour long interstate trip and I think it helped. Anyone leave it on all the time?

Anything bad about using the eco mode?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Nothing bad will happen if you leave it on all the time...all it does is change the shift points to maximize economy to a slight degree. Sometimes mine is on, sometimes off...I seem to hit the button quite a bit when I'm getting things out of the cd slot/power outlet cubby.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
NoobNox said:
Nothing bad will happen if you leave it on all the time...all it does is change the shift points to maximize economy to a slight degree.
That is not all it does. It changes a few other things as well.

We have been leaving ours off until the last tank and it upped the MPG 1.4. Pretty much only thing that changed was the ECO mode was on the full tank.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We've had our ECON on since new and average 28 mpg for the 4000 miles we've put on since April.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The wife always has ECO on but when I drive the Nox I turn it off since I like a little more performance and don't need it shifting any sooner than it already does.

Doesn't ECO also lower the idle speed somewhat? I was under the impression that it does and it's the reason the 4 cyl has the button and the V6 doesn't, because the V6 idles smoother and doesn't need the provision to allow it to be on or off since it's basically always on.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
bballr4567 said:
That is not all it does. It changes a few other things as well.

We have been leaving ours off until the last tank and it upped the MPG 1.4. Pretty much only thing that changed was the ECO mode was on the full tank.
Like what? Maybe it lowers the idle rpm a bit as well as the shift points, but I can't think of anything else..

·
Registered
977 Posts
yep

Eco mode locks up the Equinox’s torque converter at lower speeds — most automatics do this at highway speeds — and changes shift patterns in the four-cylinder’s six-speed auto. It cuts the engine’s speed at idle, too, but it doesn’t affect the accelerator pedal. The net effect? About 1 mpg more with it on, Smith said.

What are the compromises? For starters, in Eco mode the engine may start lugging at 40 or 50 mph, Smith said, like a manual transmission that’s shifted too early into its topmost gear. At idle speed, the engine can come off a bit coarse-sounding. The Equinox has an Active Noise Cancellation system that can lower undesirable sounds by up to 20 dB at certain frequencies, according to GM engineer Jim Vallance.

When Eco mode is engaged on the highway, there isn’t a burst of acceleration when you hammer down the gas pedal to pass; there's no big kickdown in gears by the transmission. Instead, you must learn to push the accelerator with gusto, and you’ll be greeted with steady acceleration but not enough to get out of the way of barreling traffic. Since the fuel efficiency gain in Eco mode is relatively minor, most drivers will likely leave it off in highway traffic.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
ECO mode also changes the AFR as well. Not much but it does.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I tried Eco mode again after reading these posts. I haven't used it for a few months. I didn't like the rough idle that I noticed right away. So I switched it off. Not worth the weirdness for 1 mpg savings IMHO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I posted my overall fuel economy notes in another thread but I wanted to pass on that I have NOT seen any effect from the ECO button on actual fuel efficiency. I understand that GM is saying +1 MPG but in my documented experience, that is not the case.

Eco On: 1795 miles >> 24.12 MPG
Eco Off: 13,282 miles >> 24.41 MPG

Although Eco was 'only' on for 12% of the time, the 1795 miles did give it ample opportunity (5 full tanks) to show the improvement. That being said, i have run with the Eco on a bit more so should have more data next time i update my tracking spreadsheet.

(FWD, 4cyl)

·
Registered
303 Posts
My wife leaves Eco Mode on all the time. When I drive, I usually leave it on except for areas with twisting and turning hilly roads.

I imagine Eco Mode doesn't do much for highway driving since the torque converter is locked anyway and shifting is minimal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
DavidPJ said:
I imagine Eco Mode doesn't do much for highway driving since the torque converter is locked anyway and shifting is minimal.
Fully agree! I leave mine at the Eco mode all the time. There is indeed a difference when accelerating or slowing down but not when driving on a highway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts