GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I am on a major four lane highway, level grade, and I am cruising at 65 MPH. I am in ECO Mode and I put the trans lever into Manual to check what gear I am in. Now I am not accelerating, just feathering, no uphill grade. The indicator in the Speedo Housing reads, M-4. I thought it would be M-6?? No load, no grade, no acceleration to speak of. I checked a couple of times and it never read M-6. I did find it in 6 one time, put it into manual and drove for a while in 6, even doing a little accelerating. What say you?

·
Registered
193 Posts
In the manual it states that M mode is not for manual shifting of the transmission, but to limit the highest gear. Mine defaults to M4 also.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
It will shift it down to the gear that gets the best performance when you put it in manual mode. Only way to tell if its in 6th is to count the gear shifts.

·
Registered
978 Posts
dishdude said:
In the manual it states that M mode is not for manual shifting of the transmission, but to limit the highest gear. Mine defaults to M4 also.
Correct

From the Manual...

Manual Mode
Electronic Range Select
(ERS) Mode
ERS or manual mode allows for
the selection of the range of gear
positions. Use this mode when
driving downhill or towing a trailer to
limit the top gear and vehicle speed.
The shift position indicator within the
Driver Information Center (DIC) will
display a number next to the M
indicating the highest available gear
under manual mode and the driving
conditions when manual mode was
selected.
To use this feature:
1. Move the shift lever to
M(Manual Mode).
2. Press the plus/minus button on
the shift lever, to increase or
decrease the gear range
available.

When shifting to M(Manual Mode),
the transmission will shift to a preset
lower gear range. For this preset
range, the highest gear available is
displayed next to the M in the DIC.

See Driver Information Center (DIC)
on page 5‑20 for more information.
All gears below that number are
available to use. For example, when
4 (Fourth) is shown next to the M,
1 (First) through 4 (Fourth) gears are
shifted automatically. To shift to
5 (Fifth) gear, press the + (Plus)
button or shift into D (Drive).
M(Manual Mode) will prevent
shifting to a lower gear range if the
engine speed is too high. If vehicle
speed is not reduced within the time
allowed, the lower gear range shift
will not be completed. Slow the
vehicle, then press the − (Minus)
button to the desired lower gear
range.
While using the ERS, cruise control
can be used.[/color]

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. It is safe to assume ( :>) ) that when in ECO Mode, and cruising at 65 MPH, that the trans is in 6th gear. That was really my question. In the Cruze I buried it was different and I had my trans reprogrammed three times. Thanks to all who responded.

·
Registered
71 Posts
When you shift into M mode while at 65 it shifts to 4th, this is its default setting because the m mode acts like a LOW gear on many other vehicles, it helps in towing....if you look at your RPMs while in drive then shift to M mode they will increase dramaticly, shift into 6th with the lever on the side and you will see that the RPMS go back to how they were

·
Registered
246 Posts
With the torque and power curve for the I4, I wonder if it wouldnt be more efficient in 5th when cruising on interstate or highway, because the torque comes in around 2000rpm and intersect with power a little later, so anything over like 2300 is under the power curve and over the torque curve. In some vehicles they are more efficient in their power band, to prevent a lugging at too low of RPM and consume more fuel than at some higher RPM. It also helps to know what the stall speed of the torque converter is for knowing where cruise RPMs should be. locking and unlocking the torque converter and downshifting if going through hills could be a real efficiency drain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts