·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: tizan and buggsy

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Interesting technology, but this looks like one of those advancements that benefits society in general more than an individual’s pocketbook. The bigger the engine the bigger the savings, but if you’re already driving a 4-cylinder engine getting, say - 30 mpg, is 32 mpg going to save you much money after the $350 invoice price turns into $1000 or more on your MSRP?

I think I’d rather see this technology available only on the bigger, gas-guzzling engines. Doesn’t seem like the added complication would be worth it on a 4-cylinder engine.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting technology, but this looks like one of those advancements that benefits society in general more than an individual’s pocketbook. The bigger the engine the bigger the savings, but if you’re already driving a 4-cylinder engine getting, say - 30 mpg, is 32 mpg going to save you much money after the $350 invoice price turns into $1000 or more on your MSRP?

I think I’d rather see this technology available only on the bigger, gas-guzzling engines. Doesn’t seem like the added complication would be worth it on a 4-cylinder engine.

Yeah, GM is will be using it on the Silverado and Seiera V8 engines. Claim +15% to maybe 20% fuel savings. VW is the one interested in the 4 banger use.
With a computer already running the engine . . who knows what else they may come up with. Look at the Skyactic X Mazda is coming out with. A type of HCCI.

·
Registered
554 Posts
With AFM issues in the 5.3 that's why I'm running a AFM deactivator in my Tahoe. What's AFM worth in my truck? About 1 mpg so it doesn't justify the cost of AFM related failures of the cam and lifters.
More complexity to lighten your wallet and decrease service life like auto stop/start IMO

1 - 4 of 4 Posts