GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just some thoughts and observations,
First thanks for the great forum, Ive been following it for sometime.
I originally was interested in a nox, but then found the terrain and have forgotten about the nox.
we have been researching just the right color and options that we would want one to be before committing to ordering one. its been tough to find some to just drive as they got sold almost as soon as they got on the lot.

Several months ago I was in the dealership to get some work done and saw a terrain I almost bought it off the showroom floor, it was a 10 but now I know the other half would have not been happy, didn't like the cloth seats.

so our quest has started.
we just happened to drive by the dealership and noticed wooh, some terrains, pulled in and looked 2011's

we was able to drive the 2011 terrains, just dropped off the truck at a local dealership about 1/2 hour before we got there.

driving impressions was very favorable, the first one was a slt1 I4 the second was a v6 slt1.

first off I wanted to get the 4 so we drove a 2010 about a month ago and the air conditioner would not keep up, it was a white terrain basic no additions, and yes we had it in econo mode, as to say we was disheartened with the less than antiquate a/c. we decided after reading the forums here to wait for another terrain to come in. I do have to say the 2011 did cool nicely with 3 people a slt dark red color with sunroof I4 did cool the vehicle very nicely down in humid 89 degree temps.

Now some impressions, these are the fwd versions both slt1
the v6 is most definitely feels like a different vehicle as compared to the I4.
the v6 has much more hp and it is quite noticeable.

steering to me the v6 has a better response more of the road feel
the i4 seems to steer easier in parking lots

the ride in the v6 had a much more pleasant ride, i don't know why but it did.

power the v6 had considerable more power even though we had 3 in the vehicle, passing was a breeze and entering the on ramp up a long incline was impressive.

the I4, can sure run up some rpms, but the noise from the motor was very loud at high rpm, this was a distinct turn off for me and I will have to rethink if Im still interested in the I4 another drive is in order.

the one had the nav with backup camera, That is neat, even has a guide lines making it very easy to park between the lines, really slick! But at $2,000.

overall the drive in both was very pleasant, I think after the I4 gets broke in it may prove to be ok,
but addition of a turbo would have swayed me instantly to the I4,

I was originally looking at a hhr and drove the hhr with the turbo and it is impressive, but pricey.

I could go on but this may be enough for now,
take care
max

·
Registered
977 Posts
I have a 2010 and the Air Conditioning works great. In 100 degree and humid conditions the AC keeps the vehilce cold. I have never even used the recirc to make it even colder

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh just remembered the sticker on the 2011 v6 fuel mileage was 1 mpg lower than the 2010 v6, the 11 has a flexfuel label on the back.

rnox,
the ac in the 10 we drove just didnt cool the vehicle off, the salesperson was with us and commented that also, we did have recirculate on and was on the interstate. maybe just a problem with that particular vehicle.

·
Registered
977 Posts
max1 said:
Oh just remembered the sticker on the 2011 fuel mileage was 1 mpg lower than the 2010, the 11 has a flexfuel label on the back.

rnox,
the ac in the 10 we drove just didnt cool the vehicle off, the salesperson was with us and commented that also, we did have recirculate on and was on the interstate. maybe just a problem with that particular vehicle.
All I can say is my AC is more tha adequate. I can't speak for what you observed

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Unfortunately I have to join the group (small as it is) that thinks the AC leaves a lot to be desired. I drive 11 miles one way to/from work. In the latest 80/90* temps and lots of humidity it couldn't cool me fast enough until I pushed recirculation.
That brings up the vents (there is a separate thread on these). They have to be the worst placed/coveraged vents that have ever been put in a car. JMHO
I'm hoping the heating system is better.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Max,

Thanks for the detailed post regarding your driving impressions. I ordered a SLT-2 with the I4 Engine. I'm a little disheartened to hear that the engine noise is loud at high rpms. I was really swayed by the fuel efficiency, however, it appears the govt estimates aren't reflective of the real world.

It is interesting that you note that the mileage is 1 mpg less for the 2011's in comparison to the 2010. What difference was there in price?

·
Registered
297 Posts
RNOX said:
All I can say is my AC is more tha adequate. I can't speak for what you observed
I think ours is quite adequate, too. It's been in the mid to upper 90's this entire week, with heat indecies around 110-115.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
texlaker said:
Max,

. What difference was there in price?
I forgot to note that the mpg difference was on the v6 models. and not the I4

I did'nt compare prices on the 10 to the 11, it was a hot humid day and standing outside for any length of time was pretty miserable. We will be going back to test the I4 again, so I will try to check on price differences.

I did check on the gmc site and it is allowing you to build and price the 11 terrain.

GaryD,
when we drove the first terrain, which was a 10 it had the I4, and yes the ac worked itself pretty hard the entire drive, and never cooled the vehicle interior off, the drive which was about 20-30 minutes long not including the warm up time while they went and got a plate, even the sales person didn't know what to say,

now both the 11, I4 and v6 ac worked very good, not as good as our tahoe but pretty good, on the test drive we did have to turn the fan down as it cooled the vehicle off pretty good.

If we do get the terrain I will miss the dual control temp, it really is a great option on the tahoe, plus the rear heat and ac.

and yes the side vents in my opinion are not adjustable enough, in our tahoe the vents are much wider range of adjustment which to me is very nice.

One other thing, one model had the two tone silver, black leather and the perforated leather seats are much cooler feeling to me.

One other thing we did notice the silver dash tended to be reflected in the windshield more so than the black dash.

My wife and I was just talking about the differences between the v6 and I4, she felt the v6 was more stable to drive and ride in, I felt, it was stable, but also was quieter on the road, seemed to have less road noise it seemed more sure footed in the handling.
take care
max

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
ckmullin said:
I wonder if they did change anything of value or concern between the '10 and '11 models.
The 2011 Equinox doesn't have any changes beyond the Flex Fuel/E85 compatibility for the V6 and a couple of new colors...I expect the Terrain is pretty much the same.

·
Registered
306 Posts
As for price difference between the 10 and the 11, I'll offer up my experience. I bought my 10 in July 2010 and it had a list price of $32,785. I priced out a 2011 on "build your own" and it was exactly $100 more list than on my 2010. I hope this helps, Ron

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
RSchleder said:
As for price difference between the 10 and the 11, I'll offer up my experience. I bought my 10 in July 2010 and it had a list price of $32,785. I priced out a 2011 on "build your own" and it was exactly $100 more list than on my 2010. I hope this helps, Ron
For some of us..that increase and wait is well worth jumping up a model year and hopefully sidestepping some first year problems.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
IceMan said:
For some of us..that increase and wait is well worth jumping up a model year and hopefully sidestepping some first year problems.
The first run of 2010 Equinox's/Terrain's seem to not have any major widespread issues beyond the center stack software for models made during the first 4-5 months of production. Even that is a quick fix from the dealership.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts