GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I accidentally open the rear windows tonight on the way home. Didnt look hit the rear auto down instead of the fronts. Holy WTF wind buffeting?? the Terrain was shaking something major and the front doors were pulsating a ton. Felt as if it would pull the truck apart. Has anyone else seen this?

*must remember to lock out the rear controls. funny thing is with all 4 down on the highway its just noisy but no real buffeting.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yup, known issue/condition of vehicle. There is a post or two on here about the wind buffeting.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
It happens on almost EVERY sedan type vehicle. Just a physics problem that cant be fixed without rolling down another window.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah it is weird cause if i open just 1 window in the back its fine, both open and it feels like the truck is gonna come apart. open 1 front window and it stops. so strange.

Guess i have been driving coupe's for too long haha.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The new aerodynamics of vehicles today keep the air flow extremely close to the body. Unfortunately the breaking of flow half way down the body causes massive disruptions in the flow. This happens in both our 'Nox and our Traverse. I've also seen it in some other make's models of moderns SUVs.

If you've got a sun-roof I've been told that it helps a little to have full open sun roof before you open the back windows.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no sunroof. but thats a sore spot for me. Don't know why the sunroof is a no go on a SLE model in Canada but its just fine in the USA.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If the tiny rear windows would hinged open it would relieve this situation. Gotta believe that someone saw this coming and dropped the ball.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i would love it of the rear windows opened. i was very surprised when i didnt see a button to open them and even more surprised when i opened the tailgate to open those windows and they were fixed windows lol.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Narg said:
The new aerodynamics of vehicles today keep the air flow extremely close to the body. Unfortunately the breaking of flow half way down the body causes massive disruptions in the flow. This happens in both our 'Nox and our Traverse. I've also seen it in some other make's models of moderns SUVs.

If you've got a sun-roof I've been told that it helps a little to have full open sun roof before you open the back windows.
Tried just that on my trip a couple of weeks back, and it did help a bit, but the wind was still fairly disruptive as I recall. I have not however experienced the vehicle shaking as some have described (with or without sunroof open) but with sunroof closed, my ears wont take the wind noise with the rear windows down only.

·
Registered
446 Posts
TerryG said:
If the tiny rear windows would hinged open it would relieve this situation. Gotta believe that someone saw this coming and dropped the ball.
Dropped the ball? Really? How? There is so much time available to any engineer in today's world. They have to focus on modern concerns. That concern today is MPG. Seems they took the ball and slam dunked it in the case of our vehicles. ;)

Can't have our cake and eat it to is basically what I'm trying to say...

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
We drive ALL the time with our windows down. Fronts all the way down and the rears down about 2-3". No pulsating, disrupting or anything like that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
bballr4567 said:
We drive ALL the time with our windows down. Fronts all the way down and the rears down about 2-3". No pulsating, disrupting or anything like that.
Now try friving 60mph with fronts all the way down and rears all the way up. Common problem with vehicles of this roof design. Been around for years.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Its with EVERY vehicle. In our 09 Malibu, it did the same thing. In my old 92 Sunbird, it did the same thing.

I dont understand the complaint/issue as its a physics problem that really cant be solved too easily.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
not so much complaining really, just an observation. i haven't driven ANYTHING with more than 2 doors in about 10 years let alone an SUV. Its never been an issue for me. just scared the hell out of me when i opened the rears accidentally and automatically on the highway.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Ahhh, gotcha.

Yea, its pretty weird when it happens and you dont expect it.

When a vehicle ends abruptly, like the hatch area on Terrains, it creates a huge low pressure area on that hatch. When you break the flow of air AROUND the vehicle, that low changes shapes and it tries to come INTO the vehicle but it cant because it doesnt have a way to get out aside from those same windows.

Its much like when you hold a 3L bottle upside down when its full of water. You'll notice the bottle gasping for air much like the inside of our vehicle does.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I had that same problem on my 06 Maxima.

·
Registered
441 Posts
a simple crack of another window cures this.....or just open the sunroof

·
Registered
182 Posts
There was another thread on this, but long story short, yes it happens in the terrain if the rear windows are open at speed. That being said, this happens in a TON of cars, not just the terrain. Obviously, the design affects a lot of it, but some people have been quick to blame GM thinking it's just sloppy engineering. Maybe it is, but I'd had tons of Honda and Toyotas over the years do the same. My other car, a little hyundai accent, does it too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts