GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very aware that the design intent of the Theta platform was a maximum value feature content transportation appliance.

We unexpectedly were required to replace our previous similar vehicle and the Chevy Equinox was by far the least expensive large compact/mid AWD crossover, considering the promotions/discounts/financing and my GM card points.

4 cylinder DI engine and 6 Speed Auto is adequate moving a porky crossover, considering their station in life but the mileage just stinks.

The care rides smooth, quiet, and does not wallow. Brakes work fine.

Comfortable seats and decent interior even for the basic LS model. It has all the options of a well appointed rental car.

Lots of nice std features,

That being said, the Equinox is the most boring soulless vehicle I ever hope I’ll drive.

It will put you to sleep. It is the electronic steering. No tactile feel, as steering becomes visual point and shoot.

The car stresses crash protection at the expense of safe visibility. At 6’3’ 200 lbs, I still can’t see out of this thing well.
You should not need a camera to back up or just see what is behind you.
The rearmost side window is all of 4 square inches visible opening.

The B and D pillars block 1-1/2 cars. The windows are almost as tank slit sized as the new Camaro. All for style and to fit airbags.
Whatever happened to the AMC Pacer?

This car is made for some who likes to drive just sit in the back, recline and take a nap. Never made to be a BMW, doesn’t even come close to a Mazda.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
Wow...
Sure glad that you didn't purchase it before this test drive..!
Let us know what you do end up getting!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Wow, and to think that the Terrain/Equinox outsold every other midsized CUV on the market last month.

·
Registered
120 Posts
mike69440 said:
I am very aware that the design intent of the Theta platform was a maximum value feature content transportation appliance.

We unexpectedly were required to replace our previous similar vehicle and the Chevy Equinox was by far the least expensive large compact/mid AWD crossover, considering the promotions/discounts/financing and my GM card points.

4 cylinder DI engine and 6 Speed Auto is adequate moving a porky crossover, considering their station in life but the mileage just stinks.

The care rides smooth, quiet, and does not wallow. Brakes work fine.

Comfortable seats and decent interior even for the basic LS model. It has all the options of a well appointed rental car.

Lots of nice std features,

That being said, the Equinox is the most boring soulless vehicle I ever hope I’ll drive.

It will put you to sleep. It is the electronic steering. No tactile feel, as steering becomes visual point and shoot.

The car stresses crash protection at the expense of safe visibility. At 6’3’ 200 lbs, I still can’t see out of this thing well.
You should not need a camera to back up or just see what is behind you.
The rearmost side window is all of 4 square inches visible opening.

The B and D pillars block 1-1/2 cars. The windows are almost as tank slit sized as the new Camaro. All for style and to fit airbags.
Whatever happened to the AMC Pacer?

This car is made for some who likes to drive just sit in the back, recline and take a nap. Never made to be a BMW, doesn’t even come close to a Mazda.
Who went into driving a Equinox thinking it was going to be an 'exciting' drive? If you went into this thinking it was made to be a BMW you may have to rethink other things in your life. This is obviously a CUV made for daily driving/kid hauling.

Also, I do no think most vehicles other than Large Trucks (Suburbans, Tahoes, etc) are made to fit overweight people as comfortably. Maybe this had to do with the lack of 'fun' you had during your drive?

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
For me..it is a very relaxing...quiet..smooth..comfortable CUV to drive.
I love driving 'my' car...a sporty top down two seater turbo 5 speed stick. It is an enjoyable driving experience that I look forward to everytime I slide behind the wheel. On the other side of the coin...my wife's Equinox offers what is important to most for that type of vehicle. An easy drive that doesn't sacrifice trying to be something that is,quite frankly,offered elsewhere. The attributes of this CUV is evidentally not offered anywhere else except for the Terrain.
Yes...the sporty sleek design does make some sacrifice...but then for many..it has upgraded from the bland utility look of the norm. Best of both worlds. A little plush and electronics..and it seems to be quite the winner.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Aren't a lot of cars coming out with electronic steering?

·
Registered
11 Posts
barhoc11 said:
Who went into driving a Equinox thinking it was going to be an 'exciting' drive? If you went into this thinking it was made to be a BMW you may have to rethink other things in your life. This is obviously a CUV made for daily driving/kid hauling.

Also, I do no think most vehicles other than Large Trucks (Suburbans, Tahoes, etc) are made to fit overweight people as comfortably. Maybe this had to do with the lack of 'fun' you had during your drive?
I really wouldn't consider 6'3" and 200 pounds overwieght. This is a tall person but certainly not overweight.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
What were you really expecting? I always get a laugh when people buy an Equinox/Terrain and then seem shocked that aftermarket companies aren't making tons of performance parts for these vehicles. To the OP...have you driven any of the competiton to the Nox/Terrain in the same price range? Performance and driving excitement aren't what this segment of the automotive world is about. If you want real neck snapping acceleration and sports car handling in an SUV you can have it....just be prepared to spend more than twice as much.

Oh, and did you really just reference the AMC Pacer in a fond manner? :eek: :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
mike69440 said:
Never made to be a BMW, doesn’t even come close to a Mazda.
This is probably the dumbest statement I've ever read on the forum. Thank you for pointing out it's not a BMW. I had no idea. I hate it when a cuv doesn't drive like something twice it's price as well. What did you expect, a sports car?

·
Registered
978 Posts
WARNING:
Please don't feed the Troll

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I guess the OP was looking to stir up this forum..makes for fun reading.

I'm still enjoying my terrain since getting it November 2010. So much more enjoyable than my privious vehicle, Chevy HHR. I wanted a vehicle with AWD for the winter months, lots of room inside for my business use. Lots of comfort,handles well..I havent been sorry about this purchase.

·
Registered
120 Posts
eastex said:
I really wouldn't consider 6'3" and 200 pounds overwieght. This is a tall person but certainly not overweight.
Its overweight, trust me. We are just used to seeing overweight people in the US so we got used to it.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
barhoc11 said:
Its overweight, trust me. We are just used to seeing overweight people in the US so we got used to it.
Body Mass Index (BMI) is a much better indicator of "overweight". IMHO

·
Registered
120 Posts
MOCHANOX - Well done, I see the original was removed but I liked it

·
Registered
978 Posts
barhoc11 said:
MOCHANOX - Well done, I see the original was removed but I liked it
The original is still there...several posts up...for now anyway

I removed the "revised" second one because I thought it was borderline bad taste

·
Registered
120 Posts
MOCHANOX said:
The original is still there...several posts up...for now anyway

I removed the "revised" second one because I thought it was borderline bad taste
Thats what I was referring to, I don't think it was bad taste but I understand

·
Registered
297 Posts
RIT333 said:
Body Mass Index (BMI) is a much better indicator of "overweight". IMHO
Except when it considers body builders "overweight".

1 - 20 of 40 Posts