GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey gang,

perhaps there is already a post like this somewhere here, but please post ideas here. What are your thoughts on consistently improving mileage? Is it best to get to speed quickly, and then cruise? or accelerate slowly? What's the optimal freeway cruising speed? etc...

·
Registered
60 Posts
The best thing you can do is set your display to show instantaneous gas mileage. When accelerating uphill I try to give it a bit more gas to get up to cruising speed because if you try to accelerate slowly, you end up with 9-11 mpg still and take 45 seconds to get there rather than 5-7 in only 20 seconds....I think the savings by a slow acceleration is lost in the time you take getting there.

Downhill I give very little gas from a stop and accelerate fairly slowly. This keeps the gas mileage up.

When on the highway, I don't bother with cruise because I stay in the slow lane and let my speed fluctuate 5-10 mph. When going up inclines, I give just enough gas to keep the car from coasting to a stop. It slows down but not too bad. Going donhill, that's where i make the speed back up again.

This can be annoying to drivers behind you so definitely don't do this in lots of traffic. As far as my average speed, I honor the speed limit and don't choose to drive 60 in a 70 mph are just to save mileage. That's too extreme. I just try to make the best mpg's given the posted speed limit.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just a bit outta line there Steve. Some folks are not ex-racers and have legitimate questions. Might wanna give them some slack.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Will my gas mileage go up once I get some more miles on my Equinox? I only have 700 km (400 miles) on it now and so far it is considerably low on the mileage scale (11litres/100 km or 25 mpg - Canadian gallons which works out to be about 21 mpg US Gallon) all city. In all of my previous vehicles I get close to or over the government ratings for the vehicle so I think my driving habits are pretty good with resepct to gas mileage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My previous vehicle was an 2008 Buick Enclave a.w.d.. It was out of service for 63 days straight. During that time G.M. gave me a f.w.d. Enclave to use. My commute to work is 45 miles per day. The interesting thing was I got the same m.p.g. with the a.w.d. as I did the f.w.d. even though the f.w.d. was rated 2 m.p.g. better.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Mileage does seem to improve with mileage. I'm over 1K now and average about 28MPG w/60-70% hwy. I've run it out a few times and the I4 drinks it up when the peddle is down. But can easily see 32-34 hwy at 65MPH.

·
Registered
79 Posts
There is a slight difference between a facetious answer - meant to elicit the stray giggle - and cutting someone some slack.

I sincerely hope that no one took that as serious advice. Although - like many political answers - it is absolutely factual and totally useless !!! ;D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Steve A said:
There is a slight difference between a facetious answer - meant to elicit the stray giggle - and cutting someone some slack.

I sincerely hope that no one took that as serious advice. Although - like many political answers - it is absolutely factual and totally useless !!! ;D
I thought it was a funny answer. It also would give you the best gas mileage. ;D :p

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Steve A said:

well, giggle, yes, but regarding the facts...mileage = distance/gallons of fuel. So, straying into the divided-by-zero area does not lend well to 'absolutely factual' and some may consider highly-debatable. But totally useless, yes, indeed, unless you count the giggle factor.

thanks all (including Steve) for advice/input. My odometer is up to 1600mi, and I have noticed a slight increase in mpg over time, but suspect this has more to do with my driving habits rather than any mechanical break-in, but who knows. Right now, my average (pretty much even between city/hwy) is around 26, which I'm very happy with. I have slowed down some on the highways (especially compared to my last car, which was a porsche 951). But with my bad-a$$ premium sound and smooth ride, I am not in any hurry.

D

·
Registered
163 Posts
First actual measurement. Last one away from the light, not over 70 and in Eco mode. 18.71 mpg. Im NOT impressed yet.

·
Registered
60 Posts
TerryG said:
First actual measurement. Last one away from the light, not over 70 and in Eco mode. 18.71 mpg. Im NOT impressed yet.
you need to adjust your right foot.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TerryG said:
that does seem low. Perhaps the others at the light were Corvettes and Camaros, or the distance was just to the next light? Sorry, couldn't resist ;) But some more info would be helpful to understand why it is that low, like distance and average speed...maybe you do have an issue like your car isn't getting 6th or something. or maybe scooby is right.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had the foot adjusted! 13 weeks in a cast and I still walk in circles. Guess they should have shortened the long leg instead. I used the calculator feature on my Droid and the fillups were full to the neck each time.

·
Registered
446 Posts
SnowItch said:
The DIC is more accurate because it measures the actual amount of gasoline used by the engine.
LOL. I guess measuring the gas between fill-ups doesn't do the same? Sorry Itch, but that was funny.

You have to wonder how effective the measuring of the gas to the engine is by the DIC computer too. Right?

Overall, from reading on forums like this, the DIC is typically up to 10% different than the hand method. In both directions up and down, which is not a real problem. In a few cases it's been much worse, and was reported fixed by a warranty repair at the shop.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's interesting how my Enclaves D.I.C. would consistently read 5% lower than actual m.p.g. and my Terrain consistently reads 10% higher than actual m.p.g.. I always fill up at the same station but not necessarily the same pump unless on a trip. Maybe the pumps aren't calibrated to perfection which brings up my next question. If you are paying for & filling up with premioum fuel are you actually getting premium??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts