GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have I new 2011 equinox. It has the most painful, uncomfortable, and unsafe driver's seat I have ever driven including subcompact rentals. Within 30 minutes of driving my neck and thighs are throbbing. I bought it as a road car for my wife and I. I need the headroom. I am 6'-2" but very long waisted, 270 lbs (gut and muscle). The bottom of the headrest jabs me in the back at the base of the neck. All my weight is on my thighs nothing at my center of gravity pushing me back into the seat. The wings things in the seats cut into my thighs. The car was designed with enough height but the headrest does not adjust high enough to accommodate this height. I consider this a design flaw which could prevent whiplash protection (i think it meets the CFR but that does not make GM not liable) . I have gone to my dealer and talked with GM Customer Support. They were no help. Have made an appointment with a local upholstery shop to have the seat reworked. $400.00+

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I agree that the front seats aren't well suited for large people...but I do like the firm cushioning for my back. You can remove the front seat headrests and turn them around...but then they'll be too far away from your head to provide any support at all.

Btw, I'm assuming these are things you didn't notice at all during test drives?

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
Interesting.
I'm 6'2" 182 lbs. Just returned from a 1500 mile round trip through the mountains. I thought that the Equinox leather driver's seat was quite comfortable. My wife adjusts it to be quite firm....but I soften it up when I'm driving (rear switch on lower lefthand side of drivers seat). No headrest problem..but the back of my head doesn't even come in contact with it....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the very same issue. Speficailly the plastic trim on the left side of the driver's seat comes up as much as 4 inches compared to the right side of the seat to allow for the seat controls. This plastic pushes thru the angled cushion into my thigh. Sadly I bought it used and did not notice this until I had it a few days and had gone for longer drives.

I would be very interested to hear how the shop is re-working it and if that worked for you.

2010 Equinox LS

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
madsteintist said:
I am having the very same issue. Speficailly the plastic trim on the left side of the driver's seat comes up as much as 4 inches compared to the right side of the seat to allow for the seat controls. This plastic pushes thru the angled cushion into my thigh. Sadly I bought it used and did not notice this until I had it a few days and had gone for longer drives.

I would be very interested to hear how the shop is re-working it and if that worked for you.

2010 Equinox LS
Their putting a big ass pillow on the seat and lowering the seat all the way down

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
madsteintist said:

2010 Equinox LS
Have you brought this to the attention of your local dealer? Please feel free to keep me posted. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts