GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Drivers seat sucks!

45K views 48 replies 25 participants last post by  Mochaman 
#1 ·
I bought my SLE on July 6, and had it to the dealership twice for them to recushion the drivers bottom seat. I still have something jabbing me on my upper right thigh. I have aksed for them to take the seat apart so I can see what the prob is. Anyone else have seat probs? Mine are heated cloth.

#2 ·
That thing jabbing you is called "bolstering" I do agree that the bolstering on these seats is a little too aggressive for a non-sporting vehicle.....and the seats aren't made for anything larger than small/medium butts. :D

#7 ·
cirks1996 said:
I bought my SLE on July 6, and had it to the dealership twice for them to recushion the drivers bottom seat. I still have something jabbing me on my upper right thigh. I have aksed for them to take the seat apart so I can see what the prob is. Anyone else have seat probs? Mine are heated cloth.
I am glad to see that you are working with yoru local dealership regarding your concern. Please feel free to keep me posted. You can contact me via private message as well. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

#8 ·
cirks1996 said:
Dealer and district manager said they are done trying to fix the seat problem. So I have a $30,000 vehicle that I HATE to drive! I have a call into GMC. I am VERY upset!
So was there really something wrong with the seat or is it the overall design you don't like? Thankfully I'm a fairly slender build at 6'1 175lbs, but I do have a brother-in-law who is an ex college offensive lineman (300+) and he says the seats are too small for him..

#10 ·
Re: Drivers and passenger seats suck!

We have leather heated seats and my right leg goes to sleep after 1 and 1/2 hours of driving. I've tried cushions and pads, but nothing helps except getting out of the vehicle every hour. Even when I sit in the passenger seat it goes to sleep. I'm small to medium build and have had the Equinox since April of 2010.

#11 ·
Re: Drivers and passenger seats suck!

2010 Nox 2LT said:
We have leather heated seats and my right leg goes to sleep after 1 and 1/2 hours of driving. I've tried cushions and pads, but nothing helps except getting out of the vehicle every hour. Even when I sit in the passenger seat it goes to sleep. I'm small to medium build and have had the Equinox since April of 2010.
one would think your other leg would go to sleep if your changed seats.....maybe you have poor circulation in that leg......

#12 ·
Weird, I'm 6'3 and over 300 lbs and the Equinox has the most comfortable seat in any car that I've owned before. Absolutely no issues on long trips either. The seats in my old Trailblazer were brutal though...

#15 ·
I have to say that I did an extensive test drive and the seat felt more like a racing seat. Meaning that it hugged more to the sides and legs. Now that its been broken in it doesn't feel wuite the same. Not bad, just not as "sporty" I guess. Also, I'm 6'3 and 300 or so... ;)

#17 ·
Let's not rule out that cirks1996 may actually be experiencing a defect or genuine problem with the driver's seat. He specifically said, the upper right portion. I'm interested in seeing what the dealership concludes as a possible cause.

Cirks - are you generally a fan of supportive bolstering? or do you prefer a flatter seat? are these the cloth or leather seats?

Personally, one of the main selling points for my purchase was the nice bolstering and a welcome feature for a CUV (vs. sports coupe)

#18 ·
I'm posting this even though I may get lambasted that though I'm no longer a Terrain owner (see me again in '13 maybe) but those seats are decidedly narrow compared to other vehicles. And the sports car bolsters are no excuses and are pretty lame... this vehicle is underpowered even in V6 form. Hard to believe I wasted this much money TWICE.

Shop around people... that's my best advice...

#19 ·
Terrain said:
I'm posting this even though I may get lambasted that though I'm no longer a Terrain owner (see me again in '13 maybe) but those seats are decidedly narrow compared to other vehicles. And the sports car bolsters are no excuses and are pretty lame... this vehicle is underpowered even in V6 form. Hard to believe I wasted this much money TWICE.

Shop around people... that's my best advice...
yeeeeeoooowwwwzza

#20 ·
Don't get me wrong folks... from September 2009 to July 2011 the Terrain SLT-2 was my main squeeze. Now, I don't see how could live without my panoramic sunroof nor could I do without my 'magic' door handles, REALLY comfortable seats or push button start. This F@rd is closer than our first-gen Caddy SRX to the Terrain. Ton more power and a much more comfortable ride than either than our vehicles.

Hmmm haven't owned a Ford since an F150 in '05

#21 ·
Terrain said:
Don't get me wrong folks... from September 2009 to July 2011 the Terrain SLT-2 was my main squeeze. Now, I don't see how could live without my panoramic sunroof nor could I do without my 'magic' door handles, REALLY comfortable seats or push button start. This F@rd is closer than our first-gen Caddy SRX to the Terrain. Ton more power and a much more comfortable ride than either than our vehicles.

Hmmm haven't owned a Ford since an F150 in '05
I was taking a serious look at the Edge while researching new vehicles and I'd definitely be driving one if the Terrain wasn't a choice (or if the Edge came in a fuel efficient 4 banger). I love the way that thing looks too. Trips me out they offer 22" wheels stock ;D

One thing I haven't gotten a chance to do is test drive one. You say the ride is much smoother than a Terrain? I might have to check it out... just to have an alternative in the back of my mind.

#22 ·
I hadn't looked at the Edge either because of the high cost but I can say this... the '11 Limited with the vista roof, driver's entry and the HIDs is an excellent vehicle.

It gets better mileage than the 3.0L V6 and is oh so comfortable. Honestly.... that 3.5L growl is imminently satisfying.

Insurance is a wash as well.

Oh and I demanded the 18" wheels (245-60-18) Over the larger 19" wheels... learned that lesson with the Terrain!!!

#23 ·
TerrainLem said:
I was taking a serious look at the Edge while researching new vehicles and I'd definitely be driving one if the Terrain wasn't a choice (or if the Edge came in a fuel efficient 4 banger). I love the way that thing looks too. Trips me out they offer 22" wheels stock ;D

One thing I haven't gotten a chance to do is test drive one. You say the ride is much smoother than a Terrain? I might have to check it out... just to have an alternative in the back of my mind.
One of the vehicles I test drove before getting my Nox was an 09 Edge with 19" wheels and I thought the ride was borderline harsh. I do know that they've updated the interior since then (the 09 interior wasn't great) so they may have revised the suspension as well. One of the big factors was the sticker price though...the Edge is expensive for what it is.

#24 ·
I like the Terrain's seat side bolstering. However, I don't think the seats are comfortable. I have lower back issues and the seats are just too hard for me. My cheap Escape's seats with no lumbar support are actually more comfortable for me.

#25 ·
Terrain said:
I hadn't looked at the Edge either because of the high cost but I can say this... the '11 Limited with the vista roof, driver's entry and the HIDs is an excellent vehicle.

It gets better mileage than the 3.0L V6 and is oh so comfortable. Honestly.... that 3.5L growl is imminently satisfying.

Insurance is a wash as well.

Oh and I demanded the 18" wheels (245-60-18) Over the larger 19" wheels... learned that lesson with the Terrain!!!
The Edge is a pretty nice station wagon.. and with that vista roof one doesn't need expensive Nav system ..Get lost and you can stick your whole body up thru the roof to ask for directions

#26 ·
fourmoremarine said:
The Edge is a pretty nice station wagon.. and with that vista roof one doesn't need expensive Nav system ..Get lost and you can stick your whole body up thru the roof to ask for directions
I am thoroughly enjoying the new vehicle... I still love the Terrain and weep a little bit when I drive by the dealership and see it for sale.

I'm going to continue following this forum to see how these vehicles mature... we will be looking to replace our old Caddy wagon in a year or so and want to see how nice the '13 Denali will be.

FWIW the Edge AWD at 600km on the odo gets better gas mileage than my Terrain FWD got at 9,000km. Doesn't seem to have to work as hard to get and stay moving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.