GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts
Ok, I got to ask why you would buy a new vehicle with a seat that is uncomfortable? I too am 6ft2 and my inseem is 32, so long trunk here as well. I find the seat in the terrian to be extremely comfortable, and I weight just over 300lbs. I like the power adjustments, and have headroom even when only the seat is half way lowered as far as it will go down. I think you must be extremely long in the trunk, and you obviously knew this as you have stated about what seats fit you best. I just find it unimaginable you bought a truck and then complain about the headroom when it obviously is always a problem for you. I want anyone reading this and considering this vehicle, to consider the author of this post judgement. As for the back issue, well I have had back surgery, I have 3 herniated disk in my lower back still, and sitting for long periods of time is always difficult, but I find the seat to be the most comfortable thing I have to sit in. I think you are a complainer. You really spent $300 to have a brand new car seat dissected?

aljolley54 said:
The test drive went; My neck hurt because the dealer only had cars with skylights which made the ceiling to low. A sat in, did not drive, one at another dealer 50miles south and it had enough head room. We, the dealer and I, decided to order. The dealer found one close to what I wanted being delivered to another dealer. We made a deal for it. I had to put a down payment down. When I picked it up i figured it might take me a while to adjust the seat comfortable; impossible. I bought the car because I wanted headroom and good mileage. There are only a few cars out there with adequate head room. I am only 6'2" but long waisted. I will have to deal with the seat. Even the Toyota FJ did not have enough head room.

I am a Design Engineer and hate seeing poor design like this. I would guess young or foreign designers sitting in front of a CAD System. Then testing with mister 95th percentile dummy and matching the CFR's to the letter.

Had $300.00 work done by Bright Auto Upholstery in Portland OR. They modified the padding under the leather seat. I can not say it is now comfortable but is much better. They could not do anything about the plastic on the left. My left side is also worse. I think is so partly because my right leg braces against the center consol. In the seat they modified those wing things and added more padding. It now does not feel like my thighs on sitting on a log with my rear end hanging over. Have not driven much since the modification but will be driving from Portland OR to San Jose CA (600 miles one way) next week.
I recently talked to a doctor who said they have had many cases of leg Thrombosis that was cured by modifying/padding their car seats.
The Upholsterer said this is not unique to the equinox. He is working on new car seats all the time. My most comfortable seat is my 93 ford pickup.
what's in the 93? a stratolounger the bed of the truck? or a lazyboy?

All - if your leg goes to sleep while driving, you might need to adjust your seat. That's not normal after only an hour or two in a seated position. If you sit in a chair, or at a desk for the same amount of time does your leg still fall asleep? If so, then it's probably not your seats fault. (And I'm not trying to be a smart*ss about it) You should adjust your seat so that it sits lower, this will relieve the pressure on the bottoms of your thighs, and will help with circulation. If this isn't possible because of maintaining a proper field of vision through the windshield, then you might have to look into another car. Just sayin'.

aljolley54 said:
I have I new 2011 equinox. It has the most painful, uncomfortable, and unsafe driver's seat I have ever driven including subcompact rentals. Within 30 minutes of driving my neck and thighs are throbbing. I bought it as a road car for my wife and I. I need the headroom. I am 6'-2" but very long waisted, 270 lbs (gut and muscle). The bottom of the headrest jabs me in the back at the base of the neck. All my weight is on my thighs nothing at my center of gravity pushing me back into the seat. The wings things in the seats cut into my thighs. The car was designed with enough height but the headrest does not adjust high enough to accommodate this height. I consider this a design flaw which could prevent whiplash protection (i think it meets the CFR but that does not make GM not liable) . I have gone to my dealer and talked with GM Customer Support. They were no help. Have made an appointment with a local upholstery shop to have the seat reworked. $400.00+
How's that seat working out for you now???? broke in yet???

old thread here, but this is exactly what I am going through. Everything the original poster is explaining as to seat issues I am experiencing, and then some. I noticied the seat feeling a couple months after I purchased on Sept 2011, by March of 2012 it had began to intermittetly stop working going up and down, and making odd clicking noises, it eventually collapsed to the floor while I was driving on a major highway (not fun!), had that repaired and it acted up again, sezing this time, then the knee lumbar motor conked ..now I have it in as we speak as it has sezed going up and down once again. This is my 4th major repair to the seat. I have requested that they go over the seat with fine tooth comb, repad, add more bolstering etc. Basically, rebuild and improve on what was provided through factory installation.

The best way I can describe is the seat cushioning shifts, feels to loose in the seat wherby I feel like I am sagging in the seat, sitting off kitler other times, a huge lump pucshing in my bach (even with back lumber adjust correctly). The back lumbar motor got louder after a couple months, and doesn't always seem to pop put the same distance. My cushioning over the knee lumbar pinches in the plastic molding, sometimes on the right, sometimes on the left (my theory that the seat cushion is shifting) . Under my knee gets pinched and leg falls asleep. I spend 3 plus hours in my vehicle a day due to my commute, so I know my seat very well and I am certain either factory assembly may have been the issue or simply the design of the 8 way power is greatly flawed ..not to mention the quality of parts they use now.

All in all, if one part of the assembly is off, I have a feeling it could put more stress load on other parts of the assembly. Say it's isn't sitting in the track quite right, and is leaning or warped there could be bolds that is putting stress on, thus increasing wear. I just think with the number of repairs I have had, at this point they need to basically rebuild the full seat and make sure it is right!

I'm sure every person is different as far as their body build. With that being said, there is no one seat that is going to fit everyone the way they feel it should.

I have found the seats in the 2013 Terrain one of the most comfortable I have had. They fit my body to a tee. I have had many cars over the last 10 years, all GM and the only one that is as close to the comfort of the Terrain, is the 2007 Envoy Denali.

I commented to my wife and she agreed before I ever read this post that these seats are very comfortable. :thumb:

Thats just my opinion, from my own use.

Mike

DavidPJ said:
I like the Terrain's seat side bolstering. However, I don't think the seats are comfortable. I have lower back issues and the seats are just too hard for me. My cheap Escape's seats with no lumbar support are actually more comfortable for me.
I agree with DavidPJ. My (manual) seats kill my lower back on long drives. It's like a 'fist' coming straight out into the base of my back. Really uncomfortable. Starts to bother me after about 200 miles (or less). Fortunately, it's the wife's car and I rarely drive it.

The SLE are the "cheap seats" SLE2 and above are not. Sometimes being cheap does not pay. :cheers:

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.