GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The speakers on the driver's side cut in and out sporadically. Has anyone else had this problem. Had have it to dealer 5 times and they say they cannot duplicate the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
Not exactly, My driver's side door speaker sometimes distorts like it's been blowen and them a little while later it's fine.
Everytime it's been at the dealership it's fine and they don't do anything with it, I suspect a poor connection at either the speaker itself or at the amplifier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
I hav e had the same problem too. I have a 2010 and it may be the worst audio system ever put in a car. I have had my Nox at the dealer no less then 10 times for various audio and nav issues. The speaker innthe door issue was one of them. I have had crappy reception multiple times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Yes, I've had a similar problem. 5 visits for me.

First, I reported 'crackling' in front speakers on the driver side. Indicated problem occured in the front midrange door speaker and the post mounted tweeter.

Also indicated problem could be one of two things:

1. ground in the harness on the front, left channel intermittently causing crackling sound, or more probable;
2. bad channel (front, left) causing this issue.

Visit 1, they diagnosed problem. Believed it was the driver's door speaker that was failed/cracked. Ordered new one, scheduled visit 2
Visit 2, replace door speaker, diagnosed problem as tweeter in the post, ordered new tweeter, scheduled visit 3
Visit 3, replace tweeter. Believed problem was solved, it wasn't, schedule visit 4 with 'Audio Expert' from 3rd party
Visit 4, "audio expert' ignored input from owner (me) and did a software upgrade on the stereo. Problem still existed. Told my wife that some level of distortion is expected/acceptable in the stereo (wrong answer). My wife advised to order 'every part not previously changed' and schedule visit 5.
Visit 5, replace amplifier. Problem gone away.

Now, I can also tell you that for 4 months after, the problem never existed. That's the good news. The not so good news, is i heard the problem re-appear twice last week. The even worse news, I traded the vehicle in last week so I cannot confirm/deny whether the problem is or will progress.

There is a possibility that since its always the same speakers/channel everyone is reporting, that #1 of my list the issues I reported initially exists as part of an installing issue, causing #2 to occur. Not likely. More likely, is there is a design flaw in the Pioneer amplifier being supplied always affecting the same channel. (could be bum resistors, capacitors, etc on the amp itself)

Good luck finding resolution but I've had the amp replaced and it solved the issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I have been experiencing a similar issue with crackling in my front passenger speaker. The issue seems to be intermittent and somehow related to other electrical systems. I hear the crackling both when the radio is on and even when the radio is turned off. At first I suspected a lose wire on the speaker but realized when turning the sound is repeatable. The crackling also is also related to the fog lamps and some other electrical systems which could be either a computer related issue or possibly a short in the system that bleeds current to the speaker. Wire chafe issue?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
Aircraft mechanic said:
I have been experiencing a similar issue with crackling in my front passenger speaker. The issue seems to be intermittent and somehow related to other electrical systems. I hear the crackling both when the radio is on and even when the radio is turned off. At first I suspected a lose wire on the speaker but realized when turning the sound is repeatable. The crackling also is also related to the fog lamps and some other electrical systems which could be either a computer related issue or possibly a short in the system that bleeds current to the speaker. Wire chafe issue?
Have you brought this to the attention of your local dealer? Please feel free to keep me posted. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
ALL of my speakers are cutting in and out. :(
We only have 2200 miles on a March 26th delivery of a 2011 Equinox.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
My wife has been experiencing this problem in her 2010 Terrain. The Dealers says they can't replicated the problem so they don't know what to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
Shanks12 said:
My wife has been experiencing this problem in her 2010 Terrain. The Dealers says they can't replicated the problem so they don't know what to do.
I can also look into this further for you. In order to do so, I will need some more specific information from you. If you could please send me your full name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, current mileage, and dealer name via private message, I will be able to take further steps. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
Shanks12 said:
My wife has been experiencing this problem in her 2010 Terrain. The Dealers says they can't replicated the problem so they don't know what to do.
Your dealer should be following this PI bulletin if it has 2.4L. We have fixed a few with this repair:

#PIT5091A: Speaker Buzz Noise In Left Front Or Right Front Speakers - (Jun 29, 2011)

Subject: Speaker Buzz Noise In Left Front Or Right Front Speakers

Models: 2010-2011 Chevrolet Equinox

2010-2011 GMC Terrain

With 2.4L (RPO LAF)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Customer may comment on a static buzz type noise from the left front or right front door speaker with the radio on or off. This buzz noise can be intermittent and hard to duplicate, The buzz noise maybe engine rpm sensitive.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Verify the buzz noise and related speakers. Technical assistance has received calls related to a buzz type noise from one or both front door speakers. This noise may be RPM sensitive. During diagnostics vehicles equipped with the Active Noise Cancelation module will find that after disconnecting the module the buzz noise is gone. This may be due to low audio electrical magnetic interference, poor connections, ground, speaker, or possible a loose speaker. Please do not replace the ANC module. The ANC operation may exaggerate the rpm buzz but is not the cause of the noise. To diagnose please follow Service Information under Speaker Malfunction use the EL-50334-6 Audio Test CD to test for any speakers for distortion, if a customer indicates it only happens using a certain CD or music this may help in diagnosis.

Repair instruction; If after testing the door speakers and there are no related speaker sound issues, Inspect the ground terminal for the ANC module circuit 1550 at the X1 connecter terminal 11 by removing the terminal and checking the wire crimp to the terminal. The ground terminal may be broken inside the insulation just behind terminal 11. Replace the terminal and test drive vehicle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Some of these dealers are so useless I had Tricia open a case for me for this issue. Why in the hell do I have to give the service manager the bulliten information. I know I have spent more time researching this issue then anyone at the dealership ever will.

Maybe GM should give me some warranty dollars for this repair too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
In case someone is having this issue, I wanted to reply to this old post. I think "TRADEMYTERRAIN" is no longer an owner but I owe him a HUGE thanks.

My 2011 Terraine began having the exact issue he described after about 6 months of ownership. It was intermittent and i just dreaded taking it to the dealer as they just don't have the time to sit in the car and await for it to happen. I found the below description and resolution (replacing the amplifier). I printed it out and drove to my dealer. The service manager looked in his computer for bulletins and didn't find anything on point with my issue. He read this posting and had me leave my car. Of course they could not replicate the issue but the service manager simply decided to order and replace the amplifier. After 3 week the problem which was daily, has not repeated itself. So 5 visits for "TRADEMYTERRAIN" resulted in just 1 for me. THANKS AGAIN WHEREVER YOU ARE!




TradedmyTerrain said:
Yes, I've had a similar problem. 5 visits for me.

First, I reported 'crackling' in front speakers on the driver side. Indicated problem occured in the front midrange door speaker and the post mounted tweeter.

Also indicated problem could be one of two things:

1. ground in the harness on the front, left channel intermittently causing crackling sound, or more probable;
2. bad channel (front, left) causing this issue.

Visit 1, they diagnosed problem. Believed it was the driver's door speaker that was failed/cracked. Ordered new one, scheduled visit 2
Visit 2, replace door speaker, diagnosed problem as tweeter in the post, ordered new tweeter, scheduled visit 3
Visit 3, replace tweeter. Believed problem was solved, it wasn't, schedule visit 4 with 'Audio Expert' from 3rd party
Visit 4, "audio expert' ignored input from owner (me) and did a software upgrade on the stereo. Problem still existed. Told my wife that some level of distortion is expected/acceptable in the stereo (wrong answer). My wife advised to order 'every part not previously changed' and schedule visit 5.
Visit 5, replace amplifier. Problem gone away.

Now, I can also tell you that for 4 months after, the problem never existed. That's the good news. The not so good news, is i heard the problem re-appear twice last week. The even worse news, I traded the vehicle in last week so I cannot confirm/deny whether the problem is or will progress.

There is a possibility that since its always the same speakers/channel everyone is reporting, that #1 of my list the issues I reported initially exists as part of an installing issue, causing #2 to occur. Not likely. More likely, is there is a design flaw in the Pioneer amplifier being supplied always affecting the same channel. (could be bum resistors, capacitors, etc on the amp itself)

Good luck finding resolution but I've had the amp replaced and it solved the issue.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top