GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Terrain SLE. Since I bought it 2 years ago and with this pandemic ive found myself gaining a large amount of weight and have trouble fitting in the car. the steering wheel is pushing into my stomach.

Obviously best solution is diet and exercise but thats long term. I need a short term solution and thought if possible to re-mount the driver seat back 4 inches or so. I already called a couple dealers and body shops and they said no.

any help is appreciated.
thanks

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I have a 2015 Terrain SLE. Since I bought it 2 years ago and with this pandemic ive found myself gaining a large amount of weight and have trouble fitting in the car. the steering wheel is pushing into my stomach.

Obviously best solution is diet and exercise but thats long term. I need a short term solution and thought if possible to re-mount the driver seat back 4 inches or so. I already called a couple dealers and body shops and they said no.

any help is appreciated.
thanks
There is more to just drilling some holes and moving the seat.

Will the seat belts work?
Will the wires for the seat motors stretch to fit?
How about the air bags, will they hit you in the right places?
Can you still safely use the pedals?

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I wouldn’t fool around if I were you. What if you got stuck and needed the “Jaws of Life” to get you out? That would be embarrassing!

Just remove the front seat completely, get some pedal extenders, telescope that steering wheel all the way out, and drive from the back seat.

Problem solved ... at least for a few more weeks.

Reactions: RIT333

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Mike_L....Your comment makes me thing the OP's question was a "troll" event.

Funny, because I thought OPs post was so funny that I read it to my wife, and she thought it was fake also. Guess she has better judgement that me - hence her decision to marry me ! No comment about my marriage decision !

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am 6ft5in tall, and fit fine in my Equinox. However, I can see where someone in the OP's situation may have an issue.

There are companies out there who specialize in manufacturing seat rail extenders for vehicles. It may be beneficial for the OP to reach out to a company like this and see if they can assist. The Equinox/Terrain is not typically a vehicle for which this kind of aftermarket accessory is available, but that doesn't mean one of those companies wouldn't be willing to custom build something for them. Start with this company and see how it goes http://extendmyseat.com/

No local body shop would want the liability of modifying a car themselves, however if you can get access to custom seat rail extenders for the vehicle they should be easy for any local mechanic to install very quickly. Take the seat out, install the extenders, and bolt the seat back in. Should be no more than a one hour job from start to finish. This is usually how tall athletes and other extremely tall people fit in their cars...by simply extending the seat rail. There should be very little safety concern since the original mounting points are being used and there is no change to the vehicle's actual structure.

This pandemic has affected everyone differently, and everyone's physiology is different. I have a friend who is legitimately concerned about weight gain during the pandemic. They are normally very active in three different sports to make sure to keep their weight where they would like it. Having not been able to participate in those activities has made them very stressed out that they will gain weight at an alarming rate. Being stuck at home for over 2 months can be very detrimental to people.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts