GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was used to my '19 Nox being erratic when it came to deciding which key fob to recognize as the driver when both were present. Then I performed the latest software update and presto, no more indecision. Now fob #1 always takes precedence.

Switching fobs with my wife and resetting the memories is the obvious bandaid, but I want the car to work right for her and let me deal with the problems.

I have searched the archives for this and found nothing. I the only one or does this just not bother people?

·
Registered
166 Posts
My '18 Terrain has been 100% consistant with recognizing the correct fob when both are present. I recently had a surgery that did not allow me to drive. Out of habit I kept grabbing "my" fob, #1, from the key holder on the way out to the garage, and put it in my right pocket. The wife generally never drives the Terrain, but since she was driving me around in it (I had a hard time getting in and out of her Cadillac ATS) she kept fob #2 in her purse. Usually fob #2 stays in the key holder.

While the wife was driving, the Terrain always recognized fob #2 as the driver, even if I had entered the vehicle with fob #1 before the wife. How it did that, I have no clue. At first I was thinking that it was proximity to the sensor because I had fob #1 in my right pants pocket. But she was getting in and putting her purse on the floor behind the front seats, so maybe not a proximity thing. But then maybe it still was a proximity thing since she passed the purse over the center console on the way to the floor. I have no idea how it decides on which fob the driver is carrying.

Now that I'm able to drive again, and the wife still has fob #2 in her purse, the Terrain always correctly identifies fob #1 as the driver. I'm mystified that it has been 100% correct.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also am not sure how the car could be expected to make the correct fob choice either. That is why I accepted the randomness I used to see as an aggravating normal. Now I have two problems with that view:

1. At least one vehicle seems to select the correct fob every time.

2. After the latest software update my car selects fob #1 regardless of who is driving.

We are leaving in a couple of weeks for a trip to Denver (Cardinals vs Rockies) and I plan on experimenting with fob position in car to see if that has any effect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts