GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - my daughter just inherited a sweet, well maintained 2006 SRX with just 58K miles from her grandparents.

Of course, her being a 21 year old, she would like to replace the factory stereo with a new double-din touchscreen with Bluetooth etc. My concern is that when she does that she will lose the DIC information that is built in to the factory stereo. Is there anyway to get that information onto a new Pioneer or Kenwood or other brand head unit?

Thanks - Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After much research, including talking to Cruthfield.com (very helpful btw), I found that there are no aftermarket head units that will display the DIC information. Some people have kept the DIC/stereo unit and have replaced the CD player with either a single or double DIN head unit in its place. However, the latter method takes a lot of skill as you must take apart the OEM stereo's CD unit off as it is all built in as one unit. Then you must also know and understand the proper wiring schema to splice and dice up all the wires. THEN, on top of that you need someone who is also very skilled in cutting out the panel of the area of the CD player to place in your new head unit. There are several YouTube videos showing how this is done but none that I found that methodically showed step-by-step on how to do it. Doable? Very much so. Skill level? High/Expert.

Sooooo, we decided to go with one of these:

SCOSCHE BTFM BTREQ Universal Bluetooth that connects into the car charger

https://amzn.to/2ZxFsmu
- or -

Nulaxy KM18 (Upgraded version) Car Bluetooth FM transmitter for car charger

https://amzn.to/2UE2xAf

Now, we also could have gone with the USA SPec BT45-VETTE which is a Bluetooth integration kit that is designed to plug into the XM. However, that would have required to connect this device into the XM receiver itself but unfortunately that is located in the rear passenger side panel and to get that off and to the actual XM receiver is very difficult and plus you need to run wires up to the front. Not something I wanted to tackle.

I hope this helps anyone else who has run into this problem.

Cheers - Bob

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have used that one and its quite good. The call sound quality is a little more "hollow" than talking on the cell phone, but very good for what it is. Another nice feature is you can stream music via Bluetooth to your car radio; something the factory units wont allow you to do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
After much research, including talking to Cruthfield.com (very helpful btw), I found that there are no aftermarket head units that will display the DIC information. Some people have kept the DIC/stereo unit and have replaced the CD player with either a single or double DIN head unit in its place. However, the latter method takes a lot of skill as you must take apart the OEM stereo's CD unit off as it is all built in as one unit. Then you must also know and understand the proper wiring schema to splice and dice up all the wires. THEN, on top of that you need someone who is also very skilled in cutting out the panel of the area of the CD player to place in your new head unit. There are several YouTube videos showing how this is done but none that I found that methodically showed step-by-step on how to do it. Doable? Very much so. Skill level? High/Expert.

Sooooo, we decided to go with one of these:

https://amzn.to/2ZxFsmu
- or -

Nulaxy KM18 (Upgraded version) Car Bluetooth FM transmitter for car charger

https://amzn.to/2UE2xAf

Now, we also could have gone with the USA SPec BT45-VETTE which is a Bluetooth integration kit that is designed to plug into the XM. However, that would have required to connect this device into the XM receiver itself but unfortunately that is located in the rear passenger side panel and to get that off and to the actual XM receiver is very difficult and plus you need to run wires up to the front. Not something I wanted to tackle.

I hope this helps anyone else who has run into this problem.

Cheers - Bob
I understand that there is another unit out there which replaces the GM Onstar module allowing normal bluetooth phone calls and music capabilities without losing any other features. I need to do more research but it sounds like a neat way to go as I will never be subscribing to Onstar.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The unit I am considering is: costartech.com - BlueSTAR
Apparently it also retains the steering wheel controls as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts