GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
driver door speaker was not performing well. seems driver was blown but high mounted tweeter worked ok. i replaced speaker and it is better but lacking in bass. the midrange does work which seems odd as there are only 2 wires to speaker. can a speaker fail in some frequencies but not others? its like there is no 0-4000hz oomph. so i inspected wire bundle thru door jamb and it is taped and i see that ALL wires were cut and respliced. i wiggled the bundle and the bass kicked in? why the heck did some monkey cut the wires since there is a disconnect plug 2" on the door jamb? is it too hard to see a disconnect? so, i think i might have to go to the boneyard and get a replacement door harness. for the locks,mirror,window motor, speakers and so on. 12+ wires.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
its an 06 nox with base radio. i pulled harness out of door and soldered all the wires. speaker seems to work ok. the speaker buzz/crackle i got may be gone too? all the colors matched up but there are 2 red/black wires which is annoying. the speaker lead is gray wire and tan wire and they are side by side in connector but there was another tan wire on a different part of harness. i wired them as it seemed proper and no blown fuses. window motor works. door locks work. speaker works. but the radio will not shut off when i open the door. and there is no power button for radio.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Looks like the door was replaced from a crash would be my guess. Only reason someone would cut/splice the door harness.

·
Registered
268 Posts
It's common for the wires to break after years of opening and closing doors.

Sounds like someone did a poor repair job that had the car before you.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
It's common for the wires to break after years of opening and closing doors. .

I have owned cars for over 20 years, and have driven some up to 200K miles, and have never had, nor heard of a wire loom breaking until this mention.

Maybe because I crawl in and out of the open window to get in/out of my vehicles. LOL

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, i have seen youtube videos showing the equinox wire bundle with cracked insulation so i think it is common issue if folks have gone thru effort to put a video online. along with cat videos

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
well, i have seen youtube videos showing the equinox wire bundle with cracked insulation so i think it is common issue if folks have gone thru effort to put a video online. along with cat videos

Maybe the new soy-based wire insulation is more prone to cracking. My cars are all carnivores, so I don't have any soy products. LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts