GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently became the proud owner of a 2012 Equinox LTZ V6 and I just love the car.I fully understand that it takes computers and other electronics to keep a car like this running perfectly.My point is that these cars will run great as long as every electronic part is operating correctly.But, if there should be any electronic malfunction, then your car may not even start.I began driving in the 60s when cars were pretty simple and had very few if any electronics.If something went wrong with the car, then there was at least a possibility that you could diagnose and fix it yourself.With todays cars, that seems unlikely.Guess thats the price of having all these nice features in our cars,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,271 Posts
havoc said:
I recently became the proud owner of a 2012 Equinox LTZ V6 and I just love the car.I fully understand that it takes computers and other electronics to keep a car like this running perfectly.My point is that these cars will run great as long as every electronic part is operating correctly.But, if there should be any electronic malfunction, then your car may not even start.I began driving in the 60s when cars were pretty simple and had very few if any electronics.If something went wrong with the car, then there was at least a possibility that you could diagnose and fix it yourself.With todays cars, that seems unlikely.Guess thats the price of having all these nice features in our cars,
Think Ford Pinto...uncomplicated..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,406 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
Think Ford Pinto...uncomplicated..
Sounds like you'd like a carburator with points and condenser - sure you could diagnose it and fix it, because you HAD to every week ! :thumbdown: Personally, I think cars have never been more reliable - IMHO.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
931 Posts
havoc said:
I recently became the proud owner of a 2012 Equinox LTZ V6 and I just love the car.I fully understand that it takes computers and other electronics to keep a car like this running perfectly.My point is that these cars will run great as long as every electronic part is operating correctly.But, if there should be any electronic malfunction, then your car may not even start.I began driving in the 60s when cars were pretty simple and had very few if any electronics.If something went wrong with the car, then there was at least a possibility that you could diagnose and fix it yourself.With todays cars, that seems unlikely.Guess thats the price of having all these nice features in our cars,
That's exactly the reason I went with an extended warranty this time. First time ever since trading cars every few years since the '60s. In my view..they have become too high tech..to the point that most any repair out of warranty would most likely cost an arm&leg...but needed to keep everything in sync to perform together. All the complicated hardware is supposed to be a benefit for all (and some now expect..demand and appreciate it more than others)..untill finally the malfunctions rear their inevitable heads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,271 Posts
RIT333 said:
Sounds like you'd like a carburator with points and condenser - sure you could diagnose it and fix it, because you HAD to every week ! :thumbdown: Personally, I think cars have never been more reliable - IMHO.
that was my point, I just didnt express it right
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,406 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
that was my point, I just didnt express it right
Nope - your point was taken correctly. I quoted the wrong person. I should have quoted havoc's comments about not wanting all of the complicated electronics - I guess we both agree - bring on the electronics !

My bad !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
I see what you're saying (especially the fixing it yourself part) but with an inexpensive OBDII reader you can actually take the guesswork out of diagnosing problems. Even though cars of the 60's were very simple machines, the fact is they were actually more unreliable than most modern cars. My first car in high school was a 66 Mustang 289 that I loved...but was always working on and it left me stranded on the road a few times. Admittedly it was 21 years old by the time I got it....but it was restored by my uncle who is a collector (3 fully restored 64 1/2 convertibles) and put a lot of new parts on it. If I were planning a cross country trip and had a choice between a fully restored 60's era vehicle or one made in the last 5 years....guess which I would choose. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
The more components added on a car to make it work correctly, the more opportunity for something to be assembled incorrectly. The last car I owned where I could do any mechanical engine work was built in 1972. I used to enjoy working on my 66 Pontiac as there was lots of room under the hood to get at things. My 76 Chevy, it was near impossible to change spark plugs. Instead of adjusting points etc, you now need $10,000 worth of computer equipment to diagnose any problem. At $80/hr for diagnostic evaluation on a car that costs $25K gets expensive to diagnose and to fix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,406 Posts
NoobNox said:
..but it was restored by my uncle who is a collector (3 fully restored 64 1/2 convertibles)...
One of my favorite childhood memories was racing against a 64 1/2 Mustang that had the 289 HiPo (271 hp) with a 65 GTO. We would switch off winning depending on who got the jump. Yep - they were fast cars for 1965 - but needed a lot of maintenance and TLC. They didn't refer to them as Gas Tires and Oil for no reason ! They could eat up all 3 items pretty quick !
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top