GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guys are burning any amount of oil? I'm wondering about all motors. I'm hearing that normal consumption rate on the 2.0 turbo is 1qt per 2000 miles... R you experienceing that? Also want to know about diesel motors too. I'm not having any problems just looking to maybe buy a new used gm vehicle soon and I don't want any surprises. I want the 2.0 turbo but I saw that they still burn oil but still not a deal breaker.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Not a drop

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Seems like after the 2.4L issues, burning oil seems to have been controlled very well.

Reactions: christopherlompoc

·
Registered
54 Posts
2017 Equinox with the 2.4L engine. Now at 134,500 Km ( 84,000 miles ) and changed the oil one week ago. Burn't about 1/3 of a litre of oil in 8,000 km ( 5000 miles ). So not all 2.4L engines are oil burners...

·
Registered
526 Posts
2019 Equinox Redline FWD, 20,000 miles - 2.0 - Change oil at 5,000 intervals, no noticeable oil consumption.

Reactions: christopherlompoc

·
Registered
67 Posts
'15 3.6, appears to have either started burning or leaking oil at the 70k mark. Nothing on the garage floor yet, so assuming burning. 1 QT low at about 7k miles since the last oil change isn't horribly bad. I had gotten out of the habit of checking the oil often since my 15 year old TL didn't burn a drop at 185k miles and until now, the Terrain wasn't either. Now that I know the Terrain is...I am checking it at least monthly now...my wife only drives a few hundred miles a month these days.

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Jackass - you should probably be changing your oil closed to 5000 miles, than your 7000+ miles. Cheap insurance for your engine.

Reactions: jackass

·
Registered
334 Posts
2017 Equinox with the 2.4L engine. Now at 134,500 Km ( 84,000 miles ) and changed the oil one week ago. Burn't about 1/3 of a litre of oil in 8,000 km ( 5000 miles ). So not all 2.4L engines are oil burners...
My wife's Nox is also a 17 with the 2.4L but only has about 32k miles on it, we're both retired and only doing grocery store runs as of late, no oil usage. With the mileage you have on yours and if you can afford the down time on your Nox, you might want to think about pulling the intake manifold and cleaning the PCV orifice and pathway. In the northern climes it may save you a blown rear main seal with resultant engine loss. You may also find that what little oil loss your seeing may return to almost nil, I've seen anecdotal evidence of this on another forum.

·
Registered
54 Posts
garagerog, I'm actually one or two steps ahead of you... I've closed off the intake PCV orifice and added an external PCV valve into the valve cover. Also added a catch can, which does seem to be working very well, changed the oil filler cap to have some over-pressure protection, and modified the plumbing on the clean side to prevent freeze-up. Old post but have a look
2.4L with a true "Dirty Side" catch can - Yes!

·
Registered
2018 Equinox LT 2.0T
8 Posts
How many of you guys are burning any amount of oil? I'm wondering about all motors. I'm hearing that normal consumption rate on the 2.0 turbo is 1qt per 2000 miles... R you experienceing that? Also want to know about diesel motors too. I'm not having any problems just looking to maybe buy a new used gm vehicle soon and I don't want any surprises. I want the 2.0 turbo but I saw that they still burn oil but still not a deal breaker.
I've only driven my 2018 NOX 2.0T 5000 miles since purchasing it used in March (thanks COVID-19) but it hasn't used a drop of oil since then. Now has just over 20K miles on the odo.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm getting close to 3 years ownership on my 2018 2.0 and there currently is no oil usage. However, I don't let the oil get to the point where the oil life monitor tells me to change it either. I've seen too many cars from too many brands not showing oil on the dipstick when allowed to go until the monitor notifies you it's change time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 2018 2.0 Turbo 4 Terrain Denali has 22,000 miles and has never burned any oil between changes. I check it about once a month and it's always at full level. I do a combination of hwy and city driving. I've never heard that they burn oil any different from any other engine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Jackass - you should probably be changing your oil closed to 5000 miles, than your 7000+ miles. Cheap insurance for your engine.
Understood...we rarely push it this far. COVID has us not really wanting to go to the dealer and I really don't want to deal with oil changes myself anymore. We had an '08 Equinox Sport with the 3.6....had a fully extended timing chain tensioner at 55k miles which was blamed on oil changes not happening soon enough. Pretty sure before the TSB, that car went 8-9k before the alerts...after the TSB it was closer to 5-6k.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol I'm hearing a lot of good responses I like how turbo owners aren't actually burning oil... I'm leaning towards another gm vehicle. Probably for xmAS OR bday in January.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2019 Equinox Diesel - uses no oil

1 - 20 of 32 Posts