GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2011 Equinox with 6k miles. When driving with the AC or the defroster I notice an intermittent chirp / squeak / whine coming from the engine compartment. The interval is every 2 to 3 minutes. It does not exist at idle. The best way to replicate it is to put the AC on, car in neutral, and give the engine a little gas. I suspected it was something due to the compressor, so I brought it in to the dealer for warranty service. The response I got was "the noise you hear is the expansion of the gas from high to low pressure in a module that is on the firewall. This is normal, and exists can be replicated on other Equinoxes and other models." Due to this response, there is no fix, and I am supposed to accept this. :-\

So I ask, does anyone else notice this? Does this explanation sound reasonable? I can hardly imagine that if this is normal, I am the only one that is noticing this.

I would think that there would be some sort of baffle around this module if this truly is the case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I had a 2010 LS that did not have the noise you are referring to. I now have a 2011 LT2 that does not have the noise. I don't believe it is normal. The 2010 was a manual A/C and the 2011 is automatic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
I would be happy to look into verifying this for you. In order to do so, I will need your VIN. Please feel free to contact me privately. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
The AC in my 2011 Nox makes the same noise too. Please keep me posted if this is not normal and if there is a fix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@KD123 - Thanks for that feedback. It is good to know the dealer was being honest and upfront about the issue. Hopefully Tricia can help raise the issue to GM.

@Tricia - I emailed you with my VIN and a note. Thenks for helping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
The only noise the A/C makes in my Nox is the relay clack (usually at idle) as the compressor engages/disengages. That noise is only heard outside. In fact other than the fan in high speed - the noise inside is very low. Quietest car I have driven in a long, long time.
:thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
Mine didn't do this initially but I noticed it over the summer and wondered if it was normal. Now seeing this thread, I guess maybe not?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason you noticed in the summer is because it is related to the AC compressor. It is normal - just not right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Have a whine as well... but it's fairly faint. Almost a hissing sound that seems to cycle on and off - which would seem to match the description of gas expanding. Thought it was limited to AC, but think I've heard it with AC and defroster off (but I may be mistaken). Will have to check again and test different settings. Loud enough to be noticeable and therefore annoying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
Lithrum said:
Have a whine as well... but it's fairly faint. Almost a hissing sound that seems to cycle on and off - which would seem to match the description of gas expanding. Thought it was limited to AC, but think I've heard it with AC and defroster off (but I may be mistaken). Will have to check again and test different settings. Loud enough to be noticeable and therefore annoying.
I can understand your concern. Has this been resolved? I would be happy to look into your concern for you. Have you brought this to the attention of your local dealer? Please feel free to contact me with more information, including your VIN for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
DJ:

I have a 2011 Equinox and love the car. I have EXACTLY the same issue you described. I have had my equinox at the dealer twice. Yesterday, they bled down my ac system and recharged it. After consulting a GM Engineer, the tech was told that the sound was "normal." The tech went the extra mile and test drove a brand new equinox that made exactly the same noise. My vehicle still makes the same groan/whine/hissing sound when the ac is turned on. I agree with you it is extremely annoying as you can hear gas expanding and it happens every 30 seconds or so, mostly when I accelerate or maintain a constant speed.

I am considering calling GM as this is such a stupid design flaw. It certainly isn't serious and I love my car, but how the heck can they design something like this that does not insulate the sound? I have never heard an AC system make such a racket.

In the end, I am willing to overlook it as the Equinox has so many plusses.

Let me know if you have any new information. All of the Equinoxes do this; it is a matter of the owner noticing it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
Stewie979 said:
DJ:

I have a 2011 Equinox and love the car. I have EXACTLY the same issue you described. I have had my equinox at the dealer twice. Yesterday, they bled down my ac system and recharged it. After consulting a GM Engineer, the tech was told that the sound was "normal." The tech went the extra mile and test drove a brand new equinox that made exactly the same noise. My vehicle still makes the same groan/whine/hissing sound when the ac is turned on. I agree with you it is extremely annoying as you can hear gas expanding and it happens every 30 seconds or so, mostly when I accelerate or maintain a constant speed.

I am considering calling GM as this is such a stupid design flaw. It certainly isn't serious and I love my car, but how the heck can they design something like this that does not insulate the sound? I have never heard an AC system make such a racket.

In the end, I am willing to overlook it as the Equinox has so many plusses.

Let me know if you have any new information. All of the Equinoxes do this; it is a matter of the owner noticing it.
I would be happy to look into this for you as well. Please feel free to contact me privately and I will be able to apass along your concerns. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
All of them do not have this noise -- I have listened and strained and tried -- sorry. teh only noise I get is teh clack of relays when teh copressor pulls in -- and then only outside the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I too am having a very noticeable loud whine when the compressor engages. It just started doing this a few months ago. Has anyone found a fix? The air blowing is cold so maybe it is a pulley issue when the compressor engages? My car is out of warranty so this really concerns me. I have a 2011 Equinox with around 51k miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
jeeepersmitty said:
I had a 2010 LS that did not have the noise you are referring to. I now have a 2011 LT2 that does not have the noise. I don't believe it is normal. The 2010 was a manual A/C and the 2011 is automatic.
My old 2010 Nox had an automatic A/C. The auto came with the 1LT model, not on the LS model.

My 2010 1LT had a very distinctive click when the A/C kicked on and off...about every 3-5 minutes. My father's 2011 1LT Nox has the same click. My new 2012 1LT is perfectly quiet, with no click or noticeable whine or noise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Yes I am currently experiencing the same issue. When my ac is on I hear a whining noise. When I cut the a/c off the noise stops. My a/c is not cooling at all in my 2010 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ. The dealership has diagnosed a failed compressor which is $1500. I am paying monthly for my vehicle which is not even a good 4 years old and the a/c compressor has Already failed!!! I am currently working with GM in hopes that they stand behind the product they manufactured, and replace the a/c compressor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Oh I replied earlier but wanted to note that my whine is Loud and annoying! And my truck should be quiet and free of rattling noises and whines it not 15 years old it's 4...Thanks GM for your help in this matter!
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top