GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2013 GMC Terrain with 96000 miles 4cyl. I’ve read a lot after the fact about the oil consumption/engine issues I love the car and so does wife, I have the option to trade it for a 6cyl model and was wondering if it is as troubled. Thanks for reading I’ve searched around and cannot find a straight answer.

·
Registered
880 Posts
The 6cyl is typically the better option in these vehicles. There was a timing chain issue with the V6, but GM supposedly resolved that starting with the 2012 model year. Like most other vehicles it is important to make sure the oil is kept at the correct level and changed regularly.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
The 3.6 will eventually use oil.
The reason being.. direct injection.
Carbon buildup in the cylinder and valves .... little pieces break off and scratch the cylinder walls. This happens over time.
Its practically a given that it will happen.
This affects all manufactures di engines. New versions i believe have added stuff to help with this.

But my 2010 traverse with 187,000 now burns about 1.5 to 2 qts in 5000 miles depending on how its driven.
My 2013 equinox with 115,000 now burns about 0.5 to 0.8 qt in 6000 miles.

My 2010 did dino oil until about 135,000.. then i transitioned to semi syn, then to full syn.

The 13 has used nothing but pennzoil platinum all its life.
It does mostly in city driving.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 179k miles
4,611 Posts
@Jameshow : I’ve got the 3.0L V6 in my 2011 (GM put the 3.0L engine in the Equinox from 2010 to 2012 then switched to the 3.6L in 2013).

I’ve got 180,000 on my V6 and, as far as I can tell, if it’s using any oil, I can’t see it in the standard black oil pan I use when changing the oil. It still goes right to the lip of the pan, and it’s still a delicate dance pulling that pan out from underneath. You’d think I’d just use a bigger pan, right? LOL! Almost 50 oil changes this way to date.

What are the details on the V6? How many miles? Any maintenance history? Any CarFax? Can you get it checked out by a mechanic? Personally, I would be valuing “major mechanicals” over appearance and options. I’m guessing the 4-cylinder looks better and has more toys, but it could very well be the proverbial “wolf in sheep’s clothing”...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Jameshow : I’ve got the 3.0L V6 in my 2011 (GM put the 3.0L engine in the Equinox from 2010 to 2012 then switched to the 3.6L in 2013).

I’ve got 180,000 on my V6 and, as far as I can tell, if it’s using any oil, I can’t see it in the standard black oil pan I use when changing the oil. It still goes right to the lip of the pan, and it’s still a delicate dance pulling that pan out from underneath. You’d think I’d just use a bigger pan, right? LOL! Almost 50 oil changes this way to date.

What are the details on the V6? How many miles? Any maintenance history? Any CarFax? Can you get it checked out by a mechanic? Personally, I would be valuing “major mechanicals” over appearance and options. I’m guessing the 4-cylinder looks better and has more toys, but it could very well be the proverbial “wolf in sheep’s clothing”...
Thank you for the response, it has 96000 miles and has been maintained well no major repairs. I’ve pretty much decided that I’m gonna try to trade it for a 2017 4cyl with 90000 miles do u know if thise models are more reliable

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Get the 2013 and newer 3.6L V-6 and don't look back.
The V-6 gives you a heavy duty transmission and a long list of upgrades.
My lower mileage 2014 has been perfect with no oil consumption.

Reactions: Colt Hero

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 179k miles
4,611 Posts
Thank you for the response, it has 96000 miles and has been maintained well no major repairs. I’ve pretty much decided that I’m gonna try to trade it for a 2017 4cyl with 90000 miles do u know if thise models are more reliable
Wait! You already mentioned the 96,000 miles on the 2013 4-cylinder. Now you're talking about a 2017 4-cylinder with 90,000 miles? What happened to the V6? That's what I was asking for the details on (if you have them).

As far as the two 4-cylinder models ... GM said (believe it or not) that the 2013 2.4L engines (IF built after May 2013) did not have the defective piston rings (and, in fact, they were not included in the Lawsuit), but personally ... I wouldn't trust that statement. We've seen Oil Consumption complaints here from post-2013 2.4L engine owners. Are they real? Who knows ... but it scares me enough to avoid owning one of these 2.4L engines too close to what I call the "Hot Zone" (2010-2013) ... so ... no 2014, no 2015. Would I take a chance on a 2017 (the last year they were made)? You'd think GM would've fixed the problem by then, right? It's been 5 years now (for a 2017). I don't think there have been many complaints here (but you should do a Forum Search to be sure). When the 2010's through 2012's failed, it happened fairly quickly, IIRC. Maybe the 2017's are OK?

Still ... I'd try to find a V6 first ... but no AWD (unless you live out in the "boonies" of a snow belt state). You don't need that Transfer Case headache ...

·
Registered
2013 GMC Terrain SLE-2 3.6L Crystal Red Tintcoat
136 Posts
Not aware of the purge valve solenoid issue on the 3.6L. I guess I'll be keeping my fingers crossed, unless it was already replaced before I purchased the Terrain in 2020.

·
Registered
880 Posts
GM issued a service campaign for it. When mine failed I bought a replacement at AutoZone, did the work myself, and submitted a reimbursement form to GM. They sent me a check within 3-4 weeks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts