GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Navigation require Onstar subscription?
Somebody asked me the question yesterday.
Will Nav work after Onstar expires?
I know bluetooth is independent of Onstar, but is the Nav?
Is the only fee map updates?
Some features utilize XM, so if XM expires do you lose some functionality?

· Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks Snow. I was pretty sure about Nav not being linked to Onstar but not 100%..thanks.

· Registered
2 Posts
I purchased a 2019 Terrain in September. Called Onstar to cancel the trial period before they could charge me. Today when I clicked Navigation, I received a message that the SIM card had been removed. Navigation does not work unless you pay Onstar. My workaround is using Waze. Onstar can pound sand and GMC should be ashamed of sucking customers into that tech ditch. GMC can pound sand as well.

· Registered
336 Posts
Both the Terrain and the Equinox came with two flavors of Nav if the option box was ticked off, ONstar did provide it but it was turn by turn and of course you had to pay a fee after the first 30 days, very chinitzy of them. The other option was built into the radio, which was driven by a memory card located in the front of the vehicle in the cubby under the heater controls. Take this out and the nav will not work. Of course on my wifes vehicle, that nav card is now going on 5 years old and we as others have said use the google maps and waze to navigate. Up to date and faster. GM and Onstar are really falling behind on this by still trying to sell nav features.

· Registered
2022 Equinox RS AWD, 1.5T, Iron Gray Metallic, Build Date 12/10/21 Purchased 12/17/21
365 Posts
I purchased a 2019 Terrain in September. Called Onstar to cancel the trial period before they could charge me. Today when I clicked Navigation, I received a message that the SIM card had been removed. Navigation does not work unless you pay Onstar. My workaround is using Waze. Onstar can pound sand and GMC should be ashamed of sucking customers into that tech ditch. GMC can pound sand as well.
Your Nav should work without Onstar. Your SIM card error is a separate issue, my 2022 had the same error and it was a bad SIM card. Once the dealer replaced my SIM card the Nav worked again, and I do not have Onstar.

Same with my 2013, I never had Onstar and the Nav worked just fine for over 5 years.

· Registered
2022 Equinox RS AWD, 1.5T, Iron Gray Metallic, Build Date 12/10/21 Purchased 12/17/21
365 Posts
Does Navigation require Onstar subscription?
Somebody asked me the question yesterday.
Will Nav work after Onstar expires?
I know bluetooth is independent of Onstar, but is the Nav?
Is the only fee map updates?
Some features utilize XM, so if XM expires do you lose some functionality?
You do not need Onstar for the Nav to work. I let my Onstar expire and the Nav works just fine. If you want to update the Nav maps, you need a new SIM card or purchase a firmware update, depending what year you have. So yes, the Nav is independent of Onstar.

XM basically adds real time traffic updates but if you don't renew XM the Nav will work minus real time traffic. Not all XM packages include the traffic updates, it is an add on I think - I have XM but did not purchase the traffic component. In my 2013 I noticed during free XM I would get traffic updates but didn't find it very useful.I had the 2013 for over 5 years and never had Onstar or XM, the built in Nav worked just fine.

Depending what year your car is, you may have Andriod Auto and CarPlay. These work just fine for real time traffic, I use AA when I need to scope out traffic issues. I use built in Nav when I am not concerned about traffic.

· Registered
2 Posts
Your Nav should work without Onstar. Your SIM card error is a separate issue, my 2022 had the same error and it was a bad SIM card. Once the dealer replaced my SIM card the Nav worked again, and I do not have Onstar. Same with my 2013, I never had Onstar and the Nav worked just fine for over 5 years.
Somehow when they ended my subscription, Onstar managed to eject the 'card'. I pushed it back in, and then Maps worked again - without OnStar. You have to bend over to see it, but the location is at the back of the open area right in front of the cup holder, and under P-R-N-D. So, maps are working but I still use WAZE. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts