GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First DIY oil cahnge on the 17 Terrain 3.6. 52K. Purolator Boss filter and LiquiMoly 5W30 Special Tec. I mis spoke. When I said Dexos 2 I meant Dexos 1 Gen 2. These are the 5W30 LM. Green bottle is a new product.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Is that brand of oil certified by Dexos ? Quite frankly, it may not mean that it is better than any other oil, it may only mean thsy they paid an extra fee, but while under warrsnty it is probably best to follow all of the rules...just in case. You don't wsnt to give GM a loophole that may allow them to deny warranty coverage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don't see these brands at your local box store. Only a specialty/ independent parts store. Or a Wholesale warehouse of some sorts.

·
Registered
309 Posts
What is the API service category of the LiquiMoly 5-30? Should be SN for :
  • High temperature deposit protection for pistons
  • Better sludge control
which is especially important for high compression GDI engines. I ask because I've seen some on Amazon that are only API service categories SL and SM.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Some LiquiMoly products are dexos licensed and some are not. If it doesn't specify the dexos license number on the bottle it probably shouldn't be used. If the bottle has the dexos logo and provides the license number, it should be fine to use

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yes it is. Other brands like Eneos or Idemitsu are Dexos 2 approved
Nope. They are not. And for the purpose of warranty, you will be denied a claim for using non-licensed oil.

It's easy to verify if an oil is Dexos certified via this link.

That being said, if warranty issues are not your concern LiquiMoly has a reputation for making a quality product.

Besides, the oil I use is sooo much better than yours its not even funny! :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
What's the best oil? I'm going to be running castrol gtx magnatec synthetic with acdelco filter.... Should I go with something else? it's dexos.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Check the website Bob is the oil guy.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
LOL! I just use WalMart SuperTech Full Synthetic. 150,000 miles now, no problems. But this is my first DI engine vehicle. Maybe I’ll be singing a different tune before I reach my 222,222 mile minimum??

Reactions: Crankme69

·
Registered
97 Posts
I seriously like the supertech full synthetic it's really clean. I used to work at Wal-Mart stocking automotive well anyhow a lot of that stuff is just re labeled from another company but that's the oil I used to run. Btw all the rod bearings looked brand new at 125k.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Many of the house brand full synthetics are the same product simply sold under a different brand. When looking at the Supertech Full Synthetic 5W-30 license number on the dexos website, it actually comes back to 21 different brands under that same license number. For my last oil change, I used STP Full Synthetic dexos 5W-30 from Autozone. It has the same dexos license number as the Supertech Full Synthetic 5W-30. I have been very happy with the oil. Engine runs very smooth and quiet, and the amount of black soot in the exhaust tips is noticeably less than whatever the dealer had been using. Most modern full synthetic dexos licensed motor oils are quality products and will do a great job (as long as you don't push them too far...even they have their limits.)

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have no issues using WM full synth. . It's made by Warren, Costco oil is the same stuff. Dexos approved .
I switch to WM high mileage at 80-90k miles. Not Dexos but it's full synth. and have not had any issues with the oil. I took my '99 Yukon and my '09 2.4 Malibu to 200k miles when both were sold running fine with zero internal engine repairs. I use it in my mowers also and small air cooled engines with no filters are tough on oil. 15+ yr. old motors going strong.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just did my first on my 14 3.6 with Pensoil platinum. My God the filter is a PITA to get off and more so to get back on.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Yes . . especially if that exhaust is still hot. Not to mention trying to keep a good grip with an oil filter wrench.
I finally got a couple of "claw" type wrenches and they worked best. But I can't tell you how many times I crushed an oil filter getting it off using my over sized channel lock pliers.

Reactions: arcee and kbz1960

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yes . . especially if that exhaust is still hot. Not to mention trying to keep a good grip with an oil filter wrench.
I finally got a couple of "claw" type wrenches and they worked best. But I can't tell you how many times I crushed an oil filter getting it off using my over sized channel lock pliers.
Yes on still hot. Got a couple slight burns

·
Registered
215 Posts
GM really placed the oil filter and drain plug on both 4 cylinders 1.5 & 2.0 motors in nice easy locations, at least IMO ;)

Reactions: kbz1960 and RIT333

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
GM really placed the oil filter and drain plug on both 4 cylinders 1.5 & 2.0 motors in nice easy locations, at least IMO ;)
I know I'll catch it from RIT333 for saying this - -

But it is really easy to access both the filter and drain plug for our 2019 Acadia. Don't even have to jack it up really.

Reactions: Crankme69
1 - 20 of 25 Posts