GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
New to forum. Just wondering if anyone has installed the GM chrome mirror covers themselves. I ordered the chrome door handle which look easy enough to install, but I'm a little concerned about the mirror covers. Any info/advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
4sight said:
Hello,
New to forum. Just wondering if anyone has installed the GM chrome mirror covers themselves. I ordered the chrome door handle which look easy enough to install, but I'm a little concerned about the mirror covers. Any info/advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
I had ordered them when I first got my vehicle when the mirrors came in I looked at the instructions and It seemed to hard for me to tackle. I asked body shop at dealer to install them and they said they didnt want to do it because there are some tabs that usually break off when they try to and I may end up having to buy all new mirrors..
I returned the chrome mirror caps and ordered chrome mirror covers online for half the cost and they were very easy to install and cover the original mirrors just great
They have been on my vehicle for over a year now and no problems at all

·
Registered
10,394 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
I had ordered them when I first got my vehicle when the mirrors came in I looked at the instructions and It seemed to hard for me to tackle. I asked body shop at dealer to install them and they said they didnt want to do it because there are some tabs that usually break off when they try to and I may end up having to buy all new mirrors..
I returned the chrome mirror caps and ordered chrome mirror covers online for half the cost and they were very easy to install and cover the original mirrors just great
They have been on my vehicle for over a year now and no problems at all
Any close-up pictures ?

THX

·
Registered
7 Posts
i just order both the oem mirror covers and handles today.... hopefully going to be here by wednesday.... i can let you know how difficult it is as i will be tackling it myself

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Mine should show up next week some time. I'd love to hear how you made out with the installation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
so my handles and mirror covers arrived today.... the handles are very easy to install, took me all of 20 minutes.... the mirrors on the other hand are a little difficult.... the instructions they give are very vague and dont explain anything.... you have to undo some clips behind the actual mirror apparently so the mirror doesnt crack, but i can not find the clips as the mirror barely comes out for you to see behind it.... I tried to do it without taking the mirrors out, but the original mirror covers are on there very strong and im not sure how you even unclip the covers past the 2 clips you can see, so i was afraid of applying too much pressure and breaking something...... does anyone in this forum have experience with installing these covers that they can give us some help?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the follow-up addhero. Hopefully someone here has some words of wisdom to help with this task. :help:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tried to see if there is anything helpful in this catalog image. Don't think so . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
addhero said:
so my handles and mirror covers arrived today.... the handles are very easy to install, took me all of 20 minutes.... the mirrors on the other hand are a little difficult.... the instructions they give are very vague and dont explain anything.... you have to undo some clips behind the actual mirror apparently so the mirror doesnt crack, but i can not find the clips as the mirror barely comes out for you to see behind it.... I tried to do it without taking the mirrors out, but the original mirror covers are on there very strong and im not sure how you even unclip the covers past the 2 clips you can see, so i was afraid of applying too much pressure and breaking something...... does anyone in this forum have experience with installing these covers that they can give us some help?
Didn't the instructions tell you to use a dental pic or something like that to pry the mirror out of those clips?
If my dealer didn't want to do it.....I sure as hell wasn't going to try break a clip on one of those motors, your going to be buying a new mirror

·
Registered
7 Posts
the instructions tell me to undo at least 4 clips on the mirror so the mirror doesnt crack, not sure if that means to "pry" the mirror off or to simply get something small behind the mirror and physically undo the clips?..... im also not too sure how the cover and mirror are related for the mirror to crack by taking just the covers off....... I am going to look at it again tomorrow see what i can find out.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
addhero said:
the instructions tell me to undo at least 4 clips on the mirror so the mirror doesnt crack, not sure if that means to "pry" the mirror off or to simply get something small behind the mirror and physically undo the clips?..... im also not too sure how the cover and mirror are related for the mirror to crack by taking just the covers off....... I am going to look at it again tomorrow see what i can find out.
Might be wise to use a hair drier on the mirror for a bit to warm things up Just a thought

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
addhero said:

I'm not sure I understand why anything would have to be removed/unclipped from the mirror glass itself. I would think the cover attaches to the mirror housing only.

·
Registered
7 Posts
4sight said:
I'm not sure I understand why anything would have to be removed/unclipped from the mirror glass itself. I would think the cover attaches to the mirror housing only.

my thoughts exactly..... so im not sure why the instructions tell me it will

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
addhero said:
my thoughts exactly..... so im not sure why the instructions tell me it will
look at your replacement caps don't they have tabs on them that will snap into the mirror base I think you have to remove the glass(mirror) to release these tabs on your vehicle then the chrome covers snap into these tabs good luck

·
Registered
977 Posts
I myself don't care for the look of the chrome mirrors but looks like it would be cheaper and easier to buy the chrome covers

·
Registered
7 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
pics of aftermarket mirror covers 5 min install have been on for over a year now

where did you get those from though?.... from what i have seen itll cost me about the same as the oem ones i got.... ive also had terrible luck with non oem chrome products in the past......if i cant install the oem ones myself tomorrow i might just ask my dealer to do them (hopefully for free)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes they do.
I actually have some tools like the one you posted that are plastic. I don't know if they would be strong enough to do the job.
I was peeking between the mirror and the housing to try and locate the tabs for the cover. If I only knew where they were, I'd try and undo them without removing the mirror glass.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts