GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Equinox is a 2012 1LT that did not come with the factory GM chrome handles. I really liked how they looked on the chrome packaged models. Plus I think the chrome window trim blends well with the chrome handles and if you also have chrome roof rack covers. If the window trim were painted, I prob would have stayed with my painted ones.

Here is a How to install of the handles since I have not seen a full DIY thread or Video on how to do this. It does come with instructions which is rare for Gm parts lol but they are easy to put on and I thought many of you would like a visual. Hope it is helpful!

DIY How To Install GM Chrome Door Handles Chevy Equinox 2010 2011 2012 GMC Terrain 2008-12 Malibu

I was going to just get the chrome stick on covers, but I live in AZ and in the 115 degree heat, I have seen some pull off when you grab the handle lol So the factory ones will be a much better option.

GM part# 19212052 (All 4 handles come in one box) Retail Price $145 Online price$110-$120.

I recommend Amazon, or fastgmparts.com or I am sure everyone here on the forum has prefers their own place to buy gm parts from. Just beware of gmpartsdirect website since they have outrageous shipping charges.
Also keep an eye out for ebay, I watched for months and got a steal on mine brand new on ebay for $45. I was shocked no one else outbid me. I just kept searching for the part number or Malibu, Equinox or Terrain chrome door handles. There is a lot of chrome handle covers on ebay as well so beware and make sure your getting the actual handles not just stick on covers.

Tools you will need:
-T25 Torx bit or Screwdriver
-Plastic card
-Soft clean cloth dry/damp or I used Meguiar’s Quick Detailer to clean around handles once old ones are removed.

Enjoy! ;D

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it and hope it helps others!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice job on the video.. Glad to see that someone is glad to spread the knowledge.

Keep up the good work

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Nice work on the video I have the stick ons and they have been holding up well for the last year and a half but seeing how easy it is to change them out I'd go with factory next time JMO

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BGM10 said:
:thumb: you are the official DIY video guy going forward,awesome job! :thumb: :thumb: :cheers:
Haha thanks I will get a offical DIY man t-shirt.

That's great to hear for people that run the stick on ones. I have seen them in person and they look identical to the full handles.

·
Registered
472 Posts
No one can own a LT1 Equinox, that is a C4 Corvette engine, but you may own a 1LT just sayin' :banghead:

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mochaman said:
No one can own a LT1 Equinox, that is a C4 Corvette engine, but you may own a 1LT just sayin' :banghead:
Trying to figure out what you mean here lol

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
bowtieman said:
Trying to figure out what you mean here lol
He means that in your sig you have your Equinox listed as a LT1..which is actually an older Corvette engine ID...where your Equinox model is a 1LT to be correct.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahhhh haha yea i was not thinking right, I will correct it. I prob even said it wrong on the video, oh well guess will just have to put a LT1 engine in it instead if redoing the video lol

·
Registered
99 Posts
another great video, thanks for your time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Bowtieman....it may be a simple thing, but thought I'd ask....When you loosen the Torx head screw, about how many turns did it take before the cap becomes loose? I am wondering this because the last thing a guy would want to do is...loosen it "a bit" too much and somehow have the screw drop down in the bottom of the door!

When I was telling both my wife and my main long-time mechanic about this and how easy it was gonna be to swap out the handles, they both immediately replied, "yeah, but what if you take the screw out too much and drop it?" And, I'll have to admit, I thought they had a good point.

Anyway, I'm gonna do it. I have the handles ordered off of ebay...should be here any day.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hillcogolfer said:
Hi Bowtieman....it may be a simple thing, but thought I'd ask....When you loosen the Torx head screw, about how many turns did it take before the cap becomes loose? I am wondering this because the last thing a guy would want to do is...loosen it "a bit" too much and somehow have the screw drop down in the bottom of the door!

When I was telling both my wife and my main long-time mechanic about this and how easy it was gonna be to swap out the handles, they both immediately replied, "yeah, but what if you take the screw out too much and drop it?" And, I'll have to admit, I thought they had a good point.

Anyway, I'm gonna do it. I have the handles ordered off of ebay...should be here any day.
Hello, yes when your loosing the screw you don't want to go to much. Not the end of the world if it falls out but just a p.i.t.a and time to take the door panel off.

But you wont have to worry about it falling out. When your loosening do about 3 turns and then place your other hand to grab the cap piece and start to pull out to see when it is loose while your loosing the torx screw. On the video about the 2:00 mark you can see what i mean.
You will find it easy just go slow on the first handle to get a feel. You don't want to go fast and loosen the bolt more than it needs to and and not feel if the cap piece is loose. Just feel both and you will know, it doesn't take much.

Once the cap is loose you prob have about 3 or more turns to were the bolt would actually come out and fall.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
I find it interesting that with the Equinox, people are will to pay to have chrome handles versus body colored, while on the Nissan Maxima Forum, people would pay to trade their chrome handles for people's painted handles ! I guess people always want what they don't have !

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
RIT333 said:
I find it interesting that with the Equinox, people are will to pay to have chrome handles versus body colored, while on the Nissan Maxima Forum, people would pay to trade their chrome handles for people's painted handles ! I guess people always want what they don't have !
Or, they will spend almost 30,000 for a vehicle and then spend 7 bucks more for a rattle can of plasti-dip and cover the vehicle.. To each their own

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
Or, they will spend almost 30,000 for a vehicle and then spend 7 bucks more for a rattle can of plasti-dip and cover the vehicle.. To each their own
You just won't t let up on the PlastiDip ! Be prepared to get trashed !

·
Registered
26 Posts
This video was a great help! Thank you sooo much, appreciate it!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts