For us this Mod started with our Avalanche

Mounting a MagLight to the underside of one of the Saddle Bag Lids

as pictured below...

All pics expand, how depends on your Browser[/color]

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
So for the Nox, we also picked a location in the rear

You could pick almost anywhere but this location for us is functional and easy to mount to

We also decided to go to a smaller lamp than the MagLight although there are a couple of small Maglights that will work just fine...

We picked a newer LED design that we could not resist based on it's color alone ;D

First remove the storage bin on the rear driver side

Pull the edges of the storage bin in towards the middle to release the "clips"

Attachments

#3 ·
Once the storage bin is released...

You have clear access to the cavity inside the cover

Please reach inside and locate the wire loom which supplies voltage to the power receptacle

You will NOT want to harm this harness by accidently cutting or drilling into it.

If you choose a "D" cell Maglight...there are clips that are made by Maglight to hold the light.

We picked a different clip...but the mounting is pretty similar...

Obtain a common license plate wellnut / grommet and get a 7/16 drill bit

Attachments

#4 ·
The mount we picked has 5 holes

Really only need to use the one in the center...or the 4 perimeter

To spread the load of pulling on the rubber strap to get the lamp free

I choose to use all 5

Locate where you want the mount to go...

For this mount I drilled a center hole with the 7/16 bit and inserted the wellnut / grommet

Then drilled 4 smaller holes for the perimeter and installed it's hardware...

Attachments

#5 ·
Due to the angle of the "C" pillar over the potential mounting location

and the size of the drill you may have (My Dewalt is pretty big)

You may wish to place the drill inside the cavity and drill upwards as I did

Of course I marked my locations on top...then pushed a punch thru the plastic to mark the hole to drill upward from underneath

The security cover if you have one easily covers the LED lamp
and it's color comes pretty close to Mocha :thumb:

Attachments

#6 ·
Mounting locations are endless...

Flashlight types and sizes are endless...

Using license plate wellnuts / grommets are critical support devices especially usefull in low depth/low clearance areas...
If you pick a shallow area that will only support the use of a wellnut / grommet
you may also need to consider grinding or filing your screw to a shorter length

Pick your location and lamp size and color

Get a mount and have fun with this !!!

Get creative...mount one up front, or in the back seat area...

Attachments

#7 ·
Or, you can just throw one in the glovebox - certainly enough room. LOL Not as slick, but only takes 3.5 seconds.

Nice job... :thumb:

#8 ·
RIT333 said:
Or, you can just throw one in the glovebox - certainly enough room. LOL Not as slick, but only takes 3.5 seconds.

Nice job... :thumb:
Haha, wouldn't it be easier to just get it in your glovebox versus going to the back of the car? Maybe I do not know of the background of the mod but it seems like it belong's in a more rugged SUV/Truck.

#9 ·
Looks nice. I might look at doing something similar, perhaps with a lamp that plugs into the 12V outlet. :cheers:

#10 ·
jstpsntym said:
Looks nice. I might look at doing something similar, perhaps with a lamp that plugs into the 12V outlet. :cheers:
Last weekend, Dailycheckout.com had a nice/small LED flashlight that plugged into a cigarette lighter and charged NiMH batteries. It was $4.99 I forgot to buy it,a nd it is also sold on Meritline.com for $9.14 shipped. http://www.meritline.com/newsearch.aspx?SearchTerm=12v+led+flashlight

A friend of mine had one and loves it, and it is very bright.

FYI...

#11 ·
RIT333 said:
Last weekend, Dailycheckout.com had a nice/small LED flashlight that plugged into a cigarette lighter and charged NiMH batteries. It was $4.99 I forgot to buy it,a nd it is also sold on Meritline.com for $9.14 shipped. http://www.meritline.com/newsearch.aspx?SearchTerm=12v+led+flashlight

A friend of mine had one and loves it, and it is very bright.

FYI...

I was thinking somewhere along the lines of a trouble light. My Bonneville had one in the trunk as part of a roadside convenience package...20 foot or so cord that plugged into 12 volt outlet.

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.