GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced dark discoloration around the exhaust cutouts on the V6 model?

·
Registered
109 Posts
On the plastic or the actual exaust?

I haven't noticed on the plastic part, but I use something called "Back to Black" that is basically a waxy material that keeps the plastic type parts outside of cars that deep color that they came with, instead of fading

It's probably from just normal wear and tear, should be able to be scrubbed off. Also depends what type of gas you're running and if your terrain might be burning oil

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is on the plastic itself. Tried removing but will not come off. It showed up less than 1000 miles on truck. The truck is running Mobil One oil since new. Always check oil level and doesn't seem to be burning it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Umm...any chance of posting a picture we can look at?

Hint...please make it fairly close-up so we can see the problem (say no more than a couple feet away...
and
when you size the picture...it would help if it is at least 600 pixels wide...and even larger if you can

Oh...and you will need 1 more post to enable your ability to post pics on this forum

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, sounds good. I will try to post them this weekend

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, first picture is the best one I took. Around the top of the exhaust cutout you can see the discoloration, a brown look.

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
I'll take a look at mine in the bright daylight... but I have to say I'm not sure I would even notice. Looks kinda normal to me.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Hmmm, IDK. It looks like its normal because it has the same discoloration on the side as well.

Also, you do know the inside of the tips can be cleaned too right?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Here is my take...I assume you are refering to the "halo" area above the pipe.

In the pics below you will see I own an Avalanche to which I installed a thru the body Corsa exhaust pipe.

The point is...the heat generated by that exhaust on Avalanche cladding and the product I use to keep discoloration away and the success I have is related to a product which may be of some interest to you as well...or not.

First I would suggest you try something far less expensive to "test" and see if indeed what you are experiencing can be "corrected".

I believe what is happening is the heat of the exhaust pipe is drying out the plastic. Chevy learned a pretty important lesson with the Avalanche...yet is fixable if you know how to deal with it. What I think is happening to your plastic is different yet similar.

First I would suggest you take Simple Green and a stiff bristle brush and thorughly clean the entire plastic bumper area. ALL of it. Clean it well, scrubing with the brush and rinsing completely and drying with a towel.

303 products are very good but wash off rather quickly and may streak with exposure to rain etc

To save money try a tire dressing on the plastic which has 303 in it. Eagle One is a good one to test with. Dress the entire bumper area with it. Let it set for an hour. Then come back and wipe off any excess with a microfiber towel. If this treatment lasts for 4-6 weeks and keeps the discoloration from returning then the next product may be of interest to you.

We have tried them all...

Refinish Restorer is by far the best IMHO

There is a consensus that this product is a Varnish/Linseed oil based product
It IS expensive
It DOES last a long long time...over a year between applications
It leaves a HARD (almost like clear nail polish) shiny finish to moldings
It requires a very small amount for coverage-one can will last years on the NOX
It smells really bad and should only be used in a well ventilated area
It needs time to dry between application and driving (a couple hours at least)
It is amazing

Here is a link to order...

http://yhst-13811118617756.stores.yahoo.net/carere1l.html

I included a pic of our Avalanche so you can see what this stuff looks like
FYI...Our Av is a 2004 which we have had for 7 years and IS NOT garaged
I think the picture speaks for itself...

The pic expands...how it expands depends on your browser

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts