GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hold the plus button and see if it shoots automatically to the highest gear after a second or 2 and skips all other gears
Just tried it and it didn't work.

I did notice when I pull it back to L it goes to 2 instead of 1.
This will help when starting on snow or ice.

·
Registered
80 Posts
There are EPA emission regs...but start stop does not help there as the measurement are done when engine is running.

I am not aware of any EPA mileage limitation on a given class of vehicles. May be i am wrong as far as i know EPA has regulations on the average mpg of all the vehicles on offer by manufacturers. It is 25 mpg right now but supposed to go to 35mpg in 2025 or 2030 . That is why for example GM has the electric Spark which is sold in California and sell in the 10s per year...so that they can sell the Traverse.
And in low gas price times...most pay no attention to the EPA mileage tag (except for people like me).

I suspect now that China is the largest automotive market ..it may drive the design of vehicles sold there...just like California drive the emission of cars in the US. So may be if China has a reg on consumption on small SUV market and the nox is being sold there...then may be the design is a political decision

Since Toyota introduced this on its hybrids more than 10 years ago..
I think it is more everybody is doing we can do it too.....(may be engineering hubris; our starter can outlive a million starts). I drove a Mercedes B-series 5 years ago and it had it and it was way more aggressive than what is available on the nox.
I suspect start stop help on emission in congested cities more than it helps gain in gas mileage...but that is my guess, i have not read anything about it.

epa might be while it is running, but they may incorporate stops into the testing procedure.

That is imo why you have a lower city rating from the epa, to account for traffic and stopping and going.

So to calculate that city measurement, if the vehicle is "stopped" (i doubt it is actually moving to begin with, likely on a dyno) and the engine shuts down, it might contribute enough of a benefit to make it qualify for a mpg or two in the other direction even if it has very little pay off in real life.

same thing, no reading, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
80 Posts

I guess it is not consistent across models.

I just tried it in the loaner GMC Canyon I have right now, and it does it.

While stopped, I put it in low, it goes into 1st gear.

I press plus and hold it. It first changes the indicator to 2nd (doesn't shift obviously, since I am not moving, it just selects the max range of 1-2 as far as i know) and then if I continue to hold it it jumps to 8.

side note - 8 speeds, impressive for a midsized pickup

·
Registered
976 Posts
While running errands, I tried it several more times while stopped and it always went to 1.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You all are driving 1.5's and 2.0's. You really want to be annoyed??? Try driving the diesel with start/stop. The engine takes just a few moment LONGER to re-fire. And that few moments makes driving in traffic immensely more dangerous. It is so bad that I predict a lawsuit or a reprogramming to defeat the S/S on the diesel.

I have been using the L setting to defeat the system, but I often forget to put it in that mode.

And as diesels are lean burn, especially at idle, I just can't see that the system saves much fuel unless you drive in a place like Silicon Valley where the stop lights last for what seems like hours.

·
Registered
6 Posts
While running errands, I tried it several more times while stopped and it always went to 1.
My experience is that it is determined by the computer on the vehicle and is shifts into what it thinks is passing gear given the multitude of variables at the time. Like speed, throttle position, engine rpms, engine size......and when its stopped it has always gone into 1st.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
958 Posts
You all are driving 1.5's and 2.0's. You really want to be annoyed??? Try driving the diesel with start/stop. The engine takes just a few moment LONGER to re-fire. And that few moments makes driving in traffic immensely more dangerous. It is so bad that I predict a lawsuit or a reprogramming to defeat the S/S on the diesel.

I have been using the L setting to defeat the system, but I often forget to put it in that mode.

And as diesels are lean burn, especially at idle, I just can't see that the system saves much fuel unless you drive in a place like Silicon Valley where the stop lights last for what seems like hours.
I can see some applications where the S/S is an advantage; I do think it's imperative to have the ability to defeat it though. I can only imagine the frustrations with the diesel and S/S.

·
Registered
665 Posts

From my understanding:

I think going to L2 does not mean that it will start on second gear..it will just not down shift to lower than the second gear but will still start from 1st gear when starting from rest...so might not be of help when starting on ice

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
You really want to be annoyed??? Try driving the diesel with start/stop. The engine takes just a few moment LONGER to re-fire. And that few moments makes driving in traffic immensely more dangerous. It is so bad that I predict a lawsuit or a reprogramming to defeat the S/S on the diesel.

As a previous owner of two diesel engines, (a 6.5L Chev and a Cummins) I can tell you that would be a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As a previous owner of two diesel engines, (a 6.5L Chev and a Cummins) I can tell you that would be a deal breaker for me.

And it almost was....but the little 1.6 L is really fun to drive. Lots of grunt and I'm getting 36-38 mpg average(measured from at the pump not from computer), with well over 40 on long freeway hauls. I just try to always shift into L mode.

I figure someone will offer a reprogram to switch that timer variable in the cpu to 4 so it never go into start/stop mode. I know the what PID to switch I just don't have the software to do it.

LOL and I still own a 6.5. 1993, its my zombie apocalypse vehicle, the last mechanical timed and injected model.

·
Registered
665 Posts

I have the diesel too i must say that the moment i start lifting my foot it already switches on and in the 0.5 s my foot takes to move to the accelerator it just pulls without hesitation. And when it is cold it does not switch off (40F i have noticed is the line)...it has not left me in dangerous situation yet in the 5 months we have the car. But that said being in NM where most drivers are polite and not too agressive may not compare to Chicago or L.A.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Had the Equinox warmed up putting the steps on in shop, so start stop worked.
As soon as brake is released the engine is running and responded as soon as gas pedal was pressed. No lag at all.
Won't work, for driving, too cold yet, never got above freezing since we bought it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Once you get used to it the stop start is not that big of a deal. Just like it was when ABS, traction control, lane assist et al get introduced it just takes time to adapt,

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
This whole thread boggles my mind. This is a great feature that saves you money, and if you’re driving properly in traffic it should rarely activate - just don’t tailgate leave space and coast as much as you can, trying to never come to a complete stop. Presto, it also just made you a better driver. I drove a diesel opel with this feature and it worked very well.

·
Registered
9,973 Posts
This whole thread boggles my mind. This is a great feature that saves you money, and if you’re driving properly in traffic it should rarely activate - just don’t tailgate leave space and coast as much as you can, trying to never come to a complete stop. Presto, it also just made you a better driver. I drove a diesel opel with this feature and it worked very well.
There are times when you have to stop, such as picking up or dropping off a passenger, waiting at a train crossing, traffic light, etc. no matter how good a driver you are. It is these times that the stop-engine technology shines. And since it is seemless to the driver, and saves natural resources, how can one not like it ? Sure, waiting for a left hand turn at a traffic light the first time with this technology may be a little upsetting for the 1st 1/4 second, but you can easily anticipate this and get used to it.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
My experience with Starter Motors is that they last the life of the vehicle (at least 200,000 miles).

But now with X times more starts, I wonder what this feature will end up doing to that data set. A driver’s door window motor is only going to open/close that window so many times, and a Starter Motor and/or solenoid is only going to start the engine so many times.

Definitely should be a feature under the control of the driver - like cruise control.

·
Registered
556 Posts
My experience with Starter Motors is that they last the life of the vehicle (at least 200,000 miles).

But now with X times more starts, I wonder what this feature will end up doing to that data set. A driver’s door window motor is only going to open/close that window so many times, and a Starter Motor and/or solenoid is only going to start the engine so many times.

Definitely should be a feature under the control of the driver - like cruise control.
2X
Let's not forget wear on the flex plate ring gear also. Do they beef it up for that duty? That's not a plug n play part like a starter.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts

2X
Let's not forget wear on the flex plate ring gear also. Do they beef it up for that duty? That's not a plug n play part like a starter.
LOL! You’re right about that! Brings back a bad memory from years ago (mid 80’s). Once had to drop a transmission to replace a flywheel/ring gear on an automatic because nobody would weld me a new ring gear or build up the damaged teeth on the one welded to my torque converter! Cost me $800+. Couldn’t locate a used part anywhere (pre-Internet days), and had to buy new at the dealer ($500 part). Killed me! If that happens today what are you paying ... $1600 or more?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
21 - 40 of 254 Posts