GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

201 - 220 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
My 1st post on 2018 Premier. And I would probably not like to spend $139 on a slightly demanding yet free fix. The "shift-to-L-then-click-++++++" works for me. It just gives you flexibility to do whatever you please. If you want - you have Auto-Start/Stop. If you don't - you just put in D and you are all set.

·
Banned
99 Posts
Ontario Red, don't be personal and call people scam artist or say they don't know what they're talking about! I do know exactly how automotive a/c works and I am not a scam artist and I have no connection to the product or company. It's hot in Texas and auto stop start is a pain when you need A/C constantly to be COLD, and not fluctuate to warm when the compressor is not running since the engine is not running. Get your head out of your 'eh', ha ha. I bought it, it works for me and I recommend it for that choose to buy it.
Are you against facts? Lets say for the sake of argument, that the engine is disabled for at its LONGEST point, about 1 minute. This would require full battery voltage, No A/C, No radio, No headlights. Lets take that 1 minute, turn the A/C which would reduce the 1 Minute to probably about 40 Seconds, but I will be generous and stick with 1 minute. The A/C coil would still be COLD and the fan would still be able to run. Thus your A/C would NOT be blowing "warm Air", lets take it one step farther, if the thermometer in the vehicle detected the temperature rising with that 1 minute, it would re-engage the engine and the A/C. Therefor a $139 waste of money, to disable a feature that is nothing more than a made up issue.

Eh?? are you kidding me? of all the Canadian Stereotypes, that is the one you chose? I would take 'eh' any day over HUH.

·
Vendor
23 Posts
The Equinox service literature specifies that an auto-stop will automatically restart when the HVAC system inside air temperature increases 3°C (5°F). Some people find this temperature excursion noticeable, annoying and uncomfortable. Other people never notice it. This is very much a personal issue. There is no right or wrong here.

·
Banned
99 Posts
The Equinox service literature specifies that an auto-stop will automatically restart when the HVAC system inside air temperature increases 3°C (5°F). Some people find this temperature excursion noticeable, annoying and uncomfortable. Other people never notice it. This is very much a personal issue. There is no right or wrong here.
Lets say that even if you were right, the Max time of an auto-stop is 2 minutes. (right of the actual literature Page 220).
Giving you the benefit of the doubt that all of a sudden the AC coil started to boil and the fan stopped working. In 2 Minutes at 120°F, the temperature of the vehicle would only increase approximately 2°F of which your body would not even notice. Heaven forbid if you did though. Simply one pump of the brake would re-engage the engine and you would be back on your way with AC. Or you could waste $139 on this useless product. It fixes a non-existent issue, but it proves people will buy anything. I have 100 Acres of land for sale on the moon.

·
Vendor
23 Posts
There are a multitude of reasons people do not like the auto-stop other than temperature changes. My product provides a simple solution for them that works.

I am not trying to convince anyone who likes the auto-stop feature to buy my product.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I'm a GM tech and honestly stop wasting your money buying these Bypass kits.. If you don't like that auto start stop simply turn on your rear defrost.. Auto start/stop does not engage if you have your rear defrost on. Simple and FREE solution.
Thanks for that work around, detailed electrical info for the 2018 is scarce.
Just curious, on my 2014 the rear defrost and heated mirrors are on the same circuit.
You turn them on and the BCM times them out and shuts them off after a short time.
Is the 2018 the same?
If so then would you have to keep turning them back on to defeat the auto stop?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thanks for that work around, detailed electrical info for the 2018 is scarce.
Just curious, on my 2014 the rear defrost and heated mirrors are on the same circuit.
You turn them on and the BCM times them out and shuts them off after a short time.
Is the 2018 the same?
If so then would you have to keep turning them back on to defeat the auto stop?
I thought the same thing, GM and the other Car companies used to have a intial 10 minute timer followed by a 5 minute extension if you pressed the Defrost button again while still lit. As we got our 2018 Terrain in May we have not checked to see if the Defrost light will stay on longer. On my 2017 Suburban the Defrost will stay on for as long as you need it too, no more timing out. I would like to assume that the Terrain is the same way.

On another note, I rented a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee with autostop, and while waiting at the lights, you could really feel the air getting warmer from the vents.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes you are correct with saying the Rear defrost also controls the heated mirrors. As for the timer it is 10 min then it shuts off. But a few other things will keep auto start/stop from activating such as having your max A/C on along with the fan speed at max, NOT auto. Pretty much Auto start/stop will not activate if your car is using alot of power. I'm pretty sure if you talked to someone who has a subwoofer hooked up to a new terrain he'd say he's never once noticed it. (just a thought) But \my simple fix is to hit the rear defrost or keep your ac on full blast.

·
Banned
99 Posts
Yes you are correct with saying the Rear defrost also controls the heated mirrors. As for the timer it is 10 min then it shuts off. But a few other things will keep auto start/stop from activating such as having your max A/C on along with the fan speed at max, NOT auto. Pretty much Auto start/stop will not activate if your car is using alot of power. I'm pretty sure if you talked to someone who has a subwoofer hooked up to a new terrain he'd say he's never once noticed it. (just a thought) But \my simple fix is to hit the rear defrost or keep your ac on full blast.
I have a subwoofer hooked up, along with a capacitor, and the stop/start still functions as intended.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've owned my new 2018 Equinox since the end of July and I'm one of those who doesn't care for the auto-stop feature. I tried putting it in "L" and setting the gear selector to "9". I also noticed if th AC was turned up enough it would disable the auto-stop, but found those "solutions" as annoying as the auto-stop. I purchased the SmartStopStart.com module. It arrived in only a couple of days. The installation was simple, took less time to install it than to read the instructions, and it works great! Steve at SmartStopStart is very responsive to email questions if you have any.

·
Banned
99 Posts
I've owned my new 2018 Equinox since the end of July and I'm one of those who doesn't care for the auto-stop feature. I tried putting it in "L" and setting the gear selector to "9". I also noticed if th AC was turned up enough it would disable the auto-stop, but found those "solutions" as annoying as the auto-stop. I purchased the SmartStopStart.com module. It arrived in only a couple of days. The installation was simple, took less time to install it than to read the instructions, and it works great! Steve at SmartStopStart is very responsive to email questions if you have any.
You probably hate, power windows, and locks too.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've posted several times to this thread to share my experience with our 2 '18 Equinoxs. I went back to the original post by JGreg7 and reviewed the following 213 posts. Few posts actually helped in answering his request for a solution. Some of the "work arounds" might have helped some, but why do those who are satisfied with the SS feature bother? A few posts took up the "nanny" theme re. fuel mileage and pollution concerns, still no solution for JGreg7! Finally Steve steps up with his product (SMARTSTARTSTOP) and he has to endure criticism for sharing his product in the post section of this thread. Then we have the resumes of those that are electronics experts. I commend those who have this knowledge; my question is where's your product? Finally we have one guy who feels he can sell his line of crap by accusing others of scamming. What the **** does that accomplish? The same guy suggests that others may not like power windows and locks! WHAT? To the scam and "snake oil" guy. Please share YOUR actual experience with the product ie. put up or shut up!
Last but not least, I bought the $139 product for our diesel and it works perfect. It was MY choice and I spent MY money. Any questions??
Howard

·
Banned
99 Posts
I've posted several times to this thread to share my experience with our 2 '18 Equinoxs. I went back to the original post by JGreg7 and reviewed the following 213 posts. Few posts actually helped in answering his request for a solution. Some of the "work arounds" might have helped some, but why do those who are satisfied with the SS feature bother? A few posts took up the "nanny" theme re. fuel mileage and pollution concerns, still no solution for JGreg7! Finally Steve steps up with his product (SMARTSTARTSTOP) and he has to endure criticism for sharing his product in the post section of this thread. Then we have the resumes of those that are electronics experts. I commend those who have this knowledge; my question is where's your product? Finally we have one guy who feels he can sell his line of crap by accusing others of scamming. What the **** does that accomplish? The same guy suggests that others may not like power windows and locks! WHAT? To the scam and "snake oil" guy. Please share YOUR actual experience with the product ie. put up or shut up!
Last but not least, I bought the $139 product for our diesel and it works perfect. It was MY choice and I spent MY money. Any questions??
Howard
I get it, you wasted your money. When down the road, anything fails in the drive system, and GM denies your warranty, you will really love that you spent $139 on a useless feature. Get over it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
A baseless concern. The SmartStarStop module can easily and quickly be removed anytime the vehicle it taken in for dealer service and it does not cause any codes to be stored. Ignore the nay-saying of RedOntarioNox. If you don't care for the StopStart feature get the SmartStopStart module. I did and I'm also happy with my purchase. I've put on my fireproof suit so I ready to get flamed for my decision!

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Howard

It's a forum. Part of the nature of a forum is question, and even critique. At the time of many of the comments, work arounds ( And I would call a work around a *solution *) and early comments about the product, "Steve" was not even a vendor. Just another registered member who was developing a product. It is natural to question and critique and view with skepticism anyone new especially if they are aiming to sell something and have little forum history.

I think "Steve" did a good, clean job (and I said so) of the product and when I commented about the price and asked a leading question, he provided more detailed information. I would think asking about what exactly a person is paying for is a prudent thing to do.
So . .. . being a forum, and for all the reasons I just mentioned.. . what's the beef with any questions, critiques, or comments?

And certainly if a person does not wish to use any of the mentioned work arounds as a solution, it is their prerogative to purchase a now available and developed forum vendor product. If you don't care for the work around, buy the product. If you don't care to spend $140 and maybe risk warranty issues, use one of the work arounds.

·
Banned
99 Posts
A baseless concern. The SmartStarStop module can easily and quickly be removed anytime the vehicle it taken in for dealer service and it does not cause any codes to be stored. Ignore the nay-saying of RedOntarioNox. If you don't care for the StopStart feature get the SmartStopStart module. I did and I'm also happy with my purchase. I've put on my fireproof suit so I ready to get flamed for my decision!
Hahaha they know, You think that GM, does not purchase these modifications, and knows everything about them? It leaves a foot print. You can believe the guy that sells it if you want, ask him where he will be when GM DOES find it and voids the warranty.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My business, not your

As
I get it, you wasted your money. When down the road, anything fails in the drive system, and GM denies your warranty, you will really love that you spent $139 on a useless feature. Get over it.
It doesn't appear that you do "get it"! You seem to have a problem with those who make their own decisions and aren't willing to sign up for your retoric. Maybe you should share your vast knowledge with us and tell us what you know about the drive system failures associated with this product or are you still blowing smoke as in your other posts. I have nothing to get over and the $139 I spent is really none of your business.
BTW, at my last oil change, I showed the service manager the SS module installation on my diesel and he had no problem with it from a warranty standpoint. In fact he asked for information about it because he's had several customers ask about deleting the feature.
Howard

201 - 220 of 254 Posts