GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone buy the "DuPont – Automotive Protection"? It was $495 at the dealer.

The sales pitch it you never need to wax for 5 years. Also, you don't need to reapply anything every few months.
I did a google search and didn't find much about the product on the internet. A few people calling it snake oil and others saying it's too expensive.
I am sure the clear coat is fine and will last 5+ years, but for $100 year to keep my car looking like it's just waxed seems like a good deal.

Would would be a better deal is something "very similar" without the high cost or the paint warranty.

What are "chemically bonds cross linking agents"? Sounds good, but maybe it's just wax, I really don't know.

Thoughts?

==========================================================

PAINT PROTECTOR
DuPont Paint Protector chemically bonds cross linking agents to the exterior painted surface of your vehicle which provides additional protection and durability to the painted surfaces. Vehicles’ paint finishes are challenged every day to resist oxidation, fading, and loss of gloss. To help maintain your vehicle’s appearance and shine, the DuPont Paint Protector provides additional protection against:

Bird Droppings
Tree Sap
Insect Damage
Acid Rain
Road Salt
Helps Protect in High Temperatures

FABRIC PROTECTOR
DuPont Fabric Protector seals the fabric making it easier to clean up spills, and helping to extend the life of your vehicles carpet and fabric seats. As vehicles are being used much more often, upholstery fabric and carpets are exposed to more spills, splatters and everyday mishaps. DuPont Fabric Protector will help provide protection against everyday staining and discoloration caused by:

Coffee
Soda
Milk
Tea
Grape Juice
Chocolate

LEATHER PROTECTOR
DuPont Leather Protector chemically bonds cross linking agents to your leather and vinyl surfaces to help protect and extend the life of your vehicles leather and vinyl. While leather and vinyl are known for their durability, even these surfaces are not immune to wear and tear. DuPont Leather Protector creates a barrier to help protect against stains, premature aging, cracking and fading due to such things as:

Coffee
Soda
Milk
Tea
Grape Juice
Chocolate

PROTECTED
New Vehicle Product Guarantee: Five Years
Pre-Owned Vehicle Product Guarantee: Three Years
No Cost Transfer to Subsequent Owner
No Mileage Limitations
No Year Model Limitations
No Deductible
No Need for Re-Application
Customer Friendly Claim Process[/color]

·
Registered
481 Posts
Re: Did anyone buy the "DuPont – Automotive Protection"? It was $495 at the dealer.

Snake oil. the "Protection Package" won't protect the paint any better than a good coat of polish or wax. Plus depending on who does it and how it is applied you could end up with swirl marks that you dont want. BTW, Meguiars NXT is a very good polish that lasts a long time and its easy to apply and remove. I have used it for years on my Corvettes. There are also other brands that perform very well also.

If you have a cloth interior it is treated at the factory for water and stain protection so aftermarket protection isn't required. For leather, an occassional treatment with a conditioner will give the same results for protection.

Dealers push these packages because it adds profit to their bottom line with very little cost. Save your money.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Re: Did anyone buy the "DuPont – Automotive Protection"? It was $495 at the dealer.

ummmm NXT is not a polish...is a syn wax....polish has cutting agents....nxt doesnt......its a decent syn wax....doesnt last too long though....if you want something to last get a quality sealant....the bond it much tighter on sealants then waxes....not as shiney typically, but thats nothing a top coat of meguiars yellow cant fix ;)

but yes, stay far away from dealer crap like that....

wash and wax it as you normally would, and for the interior, use scotchguard (thats all they are doing)

·
Registered
977 Posts

They put the paint/ fabric protection on my car for free as well as a VIN Etch. I think they caused the buff mark that went down to the primer and they had to repaint my spoiler. I didn't like that when he wrote the order the saleman wrote in $100 for VIN etch. I told him I didn't want it and he crosswed it right off. The police in my town do it for free anyways.

·
Registered
157 Posts

High profit items for dealers. My dad tried dealer paint protection once - I think it did more long term damage than good.

My previous vehicle (2003 Chevy S-10) got waxed once a year with Nu-Finish. Even though it spent 24 hours a day outside - when I traded it in 2 months ago, it still looked good after 110,000 miles.

Now on my 1996 Impala SS, I used pure carnauba wax (Xymol Carbon for a couple of years, then Pizzaz by Top Of The Line) The Pizzaz goes on and comes off so easy - I don't mind doing it more often. Car actually looks better now than it did 10 years ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
626 Posts

Very nice! 8)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts

Snake oil! Just wash and wax regularly.
You can buy Scotch Guard spray at any parts store if you want to protect your seats.

Remember rust profing? Dealer and after market dealers made a killing doing that back in the 70's and some dealers are still trying to push that.
I personnally don't think you need anything other then a wax a couple times a year. My 10 year old Aztek just got a wax - maybe - twice a year. That's it. when I traded it in it still shined beautifully. That's the whole reason for clear coat....to keep it looking new for a lot longer time. Most people trade in their cars around 5 to 7 years. So unless you put your car in car shows every year, why go to all that extra work. Wash it regularly and wax once in a while and just enjoy driving it.
I had a 15 year old Vette that I showed at all the local concourses......lots of 1st and 2nd place trophys.....but it's a real PITA prepping a car to show. I had fun then when I was younger, but I would never do it again.

·
Registered
321 Posts

There is quite a bit of good information over on the detail threads. Also, some posts were deleted when former members decided to leave. Anyway, I have the Dupont Paint/Fabric protection package which was negotiated as part of the deal ($795). The dealer ended up including it as no charge because I shopped around and bought below invoice.

I have used Xzilon, Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, Glare Professional Polish, Rejex, Meguiars Professional Polymer Sealant, Jet Seal 109, Wet Mirror-Finish, Blitz, and Clear-Seal Detailer.

I now plan to top off the car with Butter Wet Wax, Gliptone Paint Sealent(with Dupoont Zonyl), and finally Collinite No. 476 Super Double Coat Auto Wax.

I have been washing in between detaining sessions with Chemical Guys Extreme Body Wash and Wax, but I plan to change to something that less agressive that does not remove so much wax.

The initial Dupont Paint/Fabric protection package works well for a start. But I'm not confident that it is as permanent as it advertises.

Perhaps this thread would be best under Detaining.

Of all the products used, check out Glare Professional Polish. But be aware, no single product will give you magnificent results. You just have to layer, layer, and layer. Don't be too agressive-just continue layering and follow the directions exactly! I guarantee you will be very happy.

Finally, for the interior-check out a true auto fabric protector. They are much better than Scotch Guard for carpeting and fabric.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts

WOW! Do you have a Rolls Royce? All that for a common car? When do you have time to drive it? ;D
Or was this said with tongue in cheek?
Bought below invoice....again with tongue in cheek?

I didn't go that far when I use to show my Vette in concourses.
Way too much time, energy and money for me.

Bottom line, if you're happy that's all that counts.

·
Registered
321 Posts

GARYD said:
WOW! Do you have a Rolls Royce? All that for a common car? When do you have time to drive it? ;D
Or was this said with tongue in cheek?
Bought below invoice....again with tongue in cheek?

I didn't go that far when I use to show my Vette in concourses.
Way too much time, energy and money for me.

Bottom line, if you're happy that's all that counts.
The ride is exceeding my expectations. Time is very scarce, it's a matter of priorities.

Tongue and cheek serves no purpose except social.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts