GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the 'Timer' for in the DIC ? Mine reads 0 all the time.

What is that 'Navigation' picture that appears in the display, what does it do ?

·
Registered
289 Posts
The time is exactly that, a timer. What the purpose is, me and my dealer couldn't figure out a true and honest use for it. Something someone at GM thought a car needed. You press the set button and it will start counting up. Press set again and it stops. Hold set and it resets.

The navigation is if you have Onstar where they will send you the turn by turn directions too.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Some people like to time a trip. So they use it for that. Maybe for clock challenged people.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
yeah, I really dont get that..I have no use for a timer..

·
Registered
241 Posts
Wife goes in the store and says, 'I'll only be a few minutes.' you start timer.... 30 min later, wife comes out, you point at timer.....

·
Registered
289 Posts
wkeatonjr said:
Wife goes in the store and says, 'I'll only be a few minutes.' you start timer.... 30 min later, wife comes out, you point at timer.....
Hmmm, I like that idea except in my case it would be....brother wants to meet for lunch. I start timer and then point to it when he shows up 45 minutes later.

·
Registered
142 Posts
long trip...kids are supposed to actually read a book for 10 minutes. presto you have a use for a useless timer, wish i had garage door integration instead...

·
Registered
300 Posts
ChevyMgr said:
Some people like to time a trip. So they use it for that. Maybe for clock challenged people.
I haven't tried it myself yet, but a friend said if you use it as a trip timer it only times while the car is moving, which would be handy if you wanted to know just your actual travel time. I had a hand held GPS that would do that, you could set it to start timing when the car hit a certain speed.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
EquinoxFF1063 said:
What is the 'Timer' for in the DIC ? Mine reads 0 all the time.

What is that 'Navigation' picture that appears in the display, what does it do ?
I see that you question about the timer has been answered, but I would like to look into your concern about the navigation display. Please feel free to contact me privately with the last eight of your VIN for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Ive used my timer on my Traverse.
on a trip from Los Angeles to Florida.
Started it- and stopped it when we arrived.
If im not mistaken its timing as long as the engine is running. Shut off engine- it stops.
restart and it begins counting...
It showed me the actual road time- so it didnt count the pit stops etc.
Though I dont use it often.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Don B said:
I haven't tried it myself yet, but a friend said if you use it as a trip timer it only times while the car is moving, which would be handy if you wanted to know just your actual travel time. I had a hand held GPS that would do that, you could set it to start timing when the car hit a certain speed.
It only runs when the engine runs. I assume the idea was to give you an idea of drive time, as stops for various reasons and times vary with different people. So they could have made it a true elasped timer, a running only timer, or left it out of the design completely. It appears as though the decision was made to make it a running time only timer, which I alwalys find interesting when comparing it to my total elasped time. We apparently stop a lot. ;D

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
The Nav on the DIC is for exactly that your Navigation system (if equipped) so you don't have to look at the screen. I find it quite handy. The timer is another feature that I like as well. Timing the actual time it takes to get from point A to point B is nice to know. [/color]

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
If you have OnStar, and no NAV unit...when you use OnStar directions, you will have the driving routes on the radio display, and on that Navigation page too..NO OnStar...or NAV..its useless..

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good info, I found it in the manual. I see now how to set/reset it now, and yes, it's only active when the engines runs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts