GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been talking to my service guy about my mileage concerns (I'm constantly at 20-22 mpg) and while I'm only at ~5200 miles he has been telling me to wait for the "magical" 6000 before he's going to look at it. By no means am I expecting 30 -32 mpg during my daily driving, I certainly am expecting 25-27 given that my 48 mile round trip daily commute is almost all highway and speeds range between 30-60 the entire way. That being said, and forget about the weather and A/C on/off or hills and stops and starts and lead foot and all the other reasons for mileage fluctuation, I just want the answer to 1 question to see if the reading is the same for everyone.

When I fill up, i reset my avg. speed, trip 1 mileage counter, and avg. mpg. While I'm at the pump and immediately after turning on my car my car ALWAYS reads that my FUEL RANGE is 400-405 Miles. It's never been more or less than that range. For those of you that are reporting consistent MPG that is mid to upper 20s what does your FUEL RANGE counter say after a fill up?

Thanks!

Adam P. Cassidy

·
Registered
749 Posts
I dont know my exact number but it is the 400,s.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
Mine is usually in the 500s. I assume that is is dependent on what your previous average MPG was. I also reset the stuff you do, except my average speed.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Between 405-408.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Took on a document on the gm website... HOW THE HELL DO THEY ACHIVE THAT ???? Rolling down a hill on the neutral ???

Two new engines are offered on all Terrain models, each with fuel-saving direct injection and variable valve timing technology. Vehicle highlights include:
• New 3.0L DOHC direct injected V-6 engine rated at 264 horsepower (197 kW), which delivers 8.0 L/100 km on the highway and 12.1 L/100 km in the city
• New 2.4L Ecotec direct injected I-4 engine rated at 182 horsepower (136 kW), which delivers 6.1 L/100 km on the highway and 9.2 L/100 km in the city. AWD models are estimated at 6.9 L/100 km highway and 10.1 L/100 km in the city.
• Highway driving range of 1,166 km with the 2.4L engine and more than 975 kms with the 3.0L engine mean less-frequent fill-ups

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Plenty of MPG threads on the board. Do a search and you'll find lots of information to get the best MPG out of it you can. :D

Trust me, during our break in period, I was pretty ticked off at the MPG. Now, I can rub it in peoples face. lol

·
Registered
468 Posts
RIT333 said:
Mine is usually in the 500s. I assume that is is dependent on what your previous average MPG was. I also reset the stuff you do, except my average speed.
Wow cool, I have yet to ever get mine that high

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate the reference for searching to get the best MPG, I wanted to avoid that discussion on this thread and just focus on the DIC reading immediately after fill up. I'm now interested in how that is calculated since at a dead standstill with ~18 gallons of gas in the tank I would think the car would have 0 data in there and only update it after every restart or every X miles driven or over X number of minutes while driving. In contrast, it seems (in my case) to give me the worst possible scenario based on their mpg estimates and as I mentioned gives me 18 x 22 = 396 (or 400-405 like I mentioned).

Thoughts?

Adam

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I noticed on our road trip that it seems to calculate it from the last average.

There were was one time after a fill up I got a fuel range of 568 miles. That tank we actually went right at 500 miles before we had to stop.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
bballr4567 said:
I noticed on our road trip that it seems to calculate it from the last average.

There were was one time after a fill up I got a fuel range of 568 miles. That tank we actually went right at 500 miles before we had to stop.
That makes sense...use the data from the last trip.
Never thought about checking the range since obviously it will vary with driving conditions that your vehicle cannot account for.
I think the only time we've ever used it (on any vehicle) is on the rare occasion when we're running out of gas on an out-of-town trip and are sweating bullets far from any known gas stations.
;D
Will check the next few fill ups and post back.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Its pretty hard to go 500 regardless.

When Im on a road trip, if we stop, Im filling up. Its why I had 493 miles on one tank and had over a gallon gas left in it. I really wanted to cross that 500 mile gallon mark but after driving for 6 hours without stopping the wife really had to go. lol

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
bballr4567 said:
Its pretty hard to go 500 regardless.

When Im on a road trip, if we stop, Im filling up. Its why I had 493 miles on one tank and had over a gallon gas left in it. I really wanted to cross that 500 mile gallon mark but after driving for 6 hours without stopping the wife really had to go. lol
82 MPH average !!! And almost 30 MPG. I guess you disprove the theory that higher speeds hurts gas mileage !

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
RIT333 said:
82 MPH average !!! And almost 30 MPG. I guess you disprove the theory that higher speeds hurts gas mileage !
Well, I think that segment was closer to 7 than 6. I dont know, it was a long segment from Nashville to almost Texarkana. lol IIRC, I had the cruise set at 73 or 74.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is my first and last GMC product. I made the trip to Tallahassee Fl from Jacksonville Fl down Interstate 10 (for those that know it, it has NO hills and is probably the most boring stretch of road I've been on in a long time) with the cruise set at 77 I got an average of just over 20 MPG for that trip. Sadly, I get above that for my daily 48 mile roundtrip commute to and from work. Now I understand this is a larger car with a 4 cylinder engine, but come on, if I can get better gas mileage in stop and go traffic than I can with cruise set at 77 on a flat road I have to rethink my car choices - esp. when neither of these MPG average are within the range that the car is advertised to provide.

I'm chalking it up to opportunity given, lessen learned and I'll go back to supporting the overseas car market when I trade in my second car for sure.

Adam

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
ROFL!!!

Now, going 77 in an aerodynamic brick sucks. The best MPG Ive got going that speed is around 26 MPG. My in laws V6 will only get about 22 going that speed too.

Do you honestly think that any other car is different when traveling at over 80? Plus, if you used cruise, the car probably spent a lot of time in 5th gear.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm lost on your points. You indicate you've gotten 26mpg at that speed, so my 20 mpg would suck. Are you agreeing there? Your in laws V6 would only get about 22 going 77 - that's one of my points, this is a 4 banger acting like a V6 = sucks. And you're asking if I think any car going over 80 would get over 20 mpg? My answer is yes, but I was cruising at 77 on a dead flat road for 150 miles each way and when I returned I got a whopping total of 356 miles on a tank of gas. As my original post states, I get right at 400 using it as my daily commuting car (which sucks also). As for the cruise comment and being in 5th gear, if you're going after a "high rev" situation to explain the horrible gas mileage, don't. I was at roughly 2500 rpm if my memory serves me correctly.

Adam

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
First, both our Terrains have over 13k miles. The V6 my in-laws have almost 18k now and its getting about 20 average and has been for a while.

Second, 2500 RPM is a lot when at 70 its at 1700-1800 IIRC.

Third, you still have under 6k miles on your vehicle. Give it time. Direct injection engines take longer to break in. Its been like this for every single direct injection Ive seen on the market.

Fourth, if you really feel there is a problem MAKE your dealer look at it. However, like Ive said, you will probably get the wait until it breaks in comment.

Search for some of my mileage threads to get some tips on what to do. Very simple things add up to quite a few MPGs.

I think its a little naive to just blame GMC/GM when your gas mileage hasnt been good. Ive pointed this out way too many times here but GM orginally said that the Equinox would get 30 MPG on the highway. The EPA returned 32 for some reason. Now, 30 MPG is certainly doable even during winter. 32 is a whole another thing.

·
Registered
141 Posts
APCassidy said:
This is my first and last GMC product. I made the trip to Tallahassee Fl from Jacksonville Fl down Interstate 10 (for those that know it, it has NO hills and is probably the most boring stretch of road I've been on in a long time) with the cruise set at 77 I got an average of just over 20 MPG for that trip. Sadly, I get above that for my daily 48 mile roundtrip commute to and from work. Now I understand this is a larger car with a 4 cylinder engine, but come on, if I can get better gas mileage in stop and go traffic than I can with cruise set at 77 on a flat road I have to rethink my car choices - esp. when neither of these MPG average are within the range that the car is advertised to provide.

I'm chalking it up to opportunity given, lessen learned and I'll go back to supporting the overseas car market when I trade in my second car for sure.

Adam
a. did you have eco on? not that it would make a world of difference, but over a long stretch of driving it might have an affect.

b. i've noticed the faster i go, the worse my mileage gets. if i set cruise at 55, i got up to 30.6 mpg average and i only have around 3k miles on mine. i expect it to get better in the next few thousand.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts