GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an 06 equinox LT awd. One morning went to start it and about 4 blocks into my trip It started making a sound I can best describe as a rubbing/grinding/whining type of noise from the rear end. I put it into park and noticed it start to roll backwards so I engaged the E brake. The noise seems to stop when it's in park but in drive it's incredibly loud. I'm still able to reverse and still go forward in drive. My friend go underneath of it and said my driveshaft was spinning but couldn't diagnose anything for me. Where the heck do I even start with this problem??? He mentioned the possibility of making it a front wheel drive vehicle by doing something to it but I was too stressed out to really comprehend everything he was telling me.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Wow, you must be stressed out, you wrote two different posts with different titles. From what you are describing, you would need to have the rear Differential assembly looked at. This is what your rear driveshaft terminates. It goes into a PDU or Diff which uses a Clutch Drum Assembly. It is probably this that has gone bad. If you know somebody in the Transmission business, i would have them look at it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HAH I guess I did end up posting this twice, sorry. Thought I was just rewording the title not actually posting it again, differential was what I was afraid of. Seems to be pretty consistent with all the research I've been able to do the last couple days. Probably going to be a hefty bill with the shop, right? I'm assuming that the growling noise and inability to stay in park means it's pretty much done for you think? Probably beyond just a differential servicing? Also had someone else suggest a bad U Joint? But they were just going off of me rambling the symptoms over a phone call, they haven't actually seen or heard the vehicle. Thank you for your response

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A new differential is waaaaaaay out of my budget right now unfortunately...is the possibility of converting this awd vehicle to a fwd vehicle even a plausible one? Just to keep me mobile enough to get back and forth to work in town until I can afford a new diff or vehicle?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Its worth a look, i did that with my Fathers 79 Ford Bronco, his rear driveshaft fell down and we removed it and had it rebuilt but he still needed the vehicle, so we tried and it worked great, chirped the front tires all the time. However for you, i would check youtube as you are probably not the first to have this. Removing this rear shaft might cause all the fluid to leak out of your PTU if its inserted into the unit instead of having a flange to connect to. The only way to confirm is to try it, you have nothing to lose in my humble opinion. Maybe a wrecker can supply you as well, there were lots of equinoxes about and the saturn version as well. Keep us posted and good luck

·
Registered
50 Posts
There is nothing in the rear end that would explain your issues with Park. The parking pawl is internal to the transmission and these vehicles are primarily FWD vehicles, which means that the front axles would be locked when in Park. The rear axles aren't even engaged or in the picture unless there is wheel slip detected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unless my ignorance is getting the best of me again and I really don't understand what you mean by "primarily fwd Vehicle" I think you're talking about the equinoxs that have the button to engage AWD but are otherwise FWD right? Mine doesn't have the button to engage AWD, I assume it's always In awd unless you're saying that it's a FWD vehicle until the sensors start to detect that awd is needed....maybe it's worth noting that my ABS light and my Traction control light were occasionally illuminated in my driver's dash display. On the way back to my house I noticed that growling noise going away when my foot was off the gas but came back if I used the brakes. It also gets really loud if I'm at a stop not moving unless it's in park...like I mentioned in my first post everything was fine when I drove the night before but within 5 hours of it being parked plus 4-5 blocks of driving now my transmission AND my rear differential are shot???? It really happens like that haha???

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I think the best thing you can do at this point is to get your vehicle professionally diagnosed.
Is there a independent shop in your area that you can trust to give you a price estimate and a list of what needs to be replaced.
At this point we are all just guessing.

·
Registered
629 Posts
2x it needs to be put on a lift with all 4 off the ground and run to really diagnose if it's the rear diff. or the transfer case.
AWD is full time.
Parking pawl is in the transmission and if it's not locking in park it's a trans. repair.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I say "primarily" FWD because the rear axle is not physically connected until the computer detects slip and engages it. In this generation, there is no manual control, but the rear axle does not engage until the computer says to.

I really wonder if you have a broken front axle? That could explain the lack of "park" being functional, the lack of noises when in park, yet the noise exists when in Drive but not moving would lead me to think the drivetrain is still spinning. I don't really know how the transfer case is connected up and such, nor do I know if the clutch is in the transfer case or the rear-end.

I would say get on the ground and take a look at the axles to each wheel and confirm they all appear to be intact.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts