GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011 Terrain 4 cyl had a noisy start up issue at 1100 miles .As per GM bullitens i brought it to dealer and the replaced solenoids and cleaned screens and what ever the bulliten said to do..This seemed to fix the problem till recently. My dealer had a $69.00 4 oil change special so i took advantage of that and got a oil change..Sortly there after the noise on start-up returned but more often on cold starts. I asked the dealer what oil he put in and he said it wasnt Dexos synthetic. My question i live in a cold climate and does the oil type have anything to do with noisy engine starts in cold conditions??? . Isnt Dexos the recommended oil for these motors.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
forgot to mention the vehicle now has 14,00 miles on it and has been noise free on start ups till just lately and sinnce the oil change strange

·
Registered
682 Posts
It does sound like this is normal if the dealer did not use a semi or full synthetic oil. Regular oil does not flow well when cold as compared to semi and full synthetic oils. In cold temps regular oil take longer to be pumped up and into the valve train thus making a rattling sound at start up thus adding to wear. I would have the oil changed to an oil that is compatible with the engine. The dealership should not have used a oil that is not specified for use in your engine. In your post you don't say how cold it is and if you are using the block heater. If you are not using the block heater then try a start up with the block heater plugged in for a few hours if the noise is gone then it is just the oil. Hope that this helps.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I dont know why the dealer didnt put in Dexos...

but if you check the many threads regarding this issue, you will see many of us have had the Tech Bulletins,recalls done...And the problem comes back...

2011 I4 engines have the problem, and GM has not come up with a solution..

I had mine in the shop a half dozen times...still didnt fix it...I did the lemon law, got a money settlement, and traded in for a 2012 V6 Terrain..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what route did you take to produce the lemon law. i dont see this issue getting any better if GM doesnt own uo to the problem.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
check with your state on lemon laws...not all are the same..in Michigan, it was 3 repair attempts for the same issue during a certain time frame.(I cant remember that..but it was long, a year or two)

once you have that many repair attempts, you contact the lemon law atty. they see if you have a case, if you do, they take it... GM pays the atty. fee. you would pay nothing..

·
Registered
368 Posts
LarryDee said:
forgot to mention the vehicle now has 14,00 miles on it and has been noise free on start ups till just lately and sinnce the oil change strange
I can't tell from your posts how many miles rolled onto the clock from the time the work was done to oil change to noise. But if I'm following you, the work that was done followed the early 2011 bulletin to check the solenoid screens for debris and then they replaced the solenoids? I don't recall your posting anything about ECM updates? And if your vehicle needs ECM updates (especially the one to revert the frequency for durability concerns), then replacing the solenoids without the update(s) wouldn't be expected to resolve it. So without more information it's hard to tell. Actually, though, even just changing the oil seems to often take care of the noise for 2,500 to 3,000 miles. This is one reason why Sumr and others have posted about that "sinking feeling" when they thought it was fixed and then the noise or other symptoms returned.

But the latest guidance is bulletin 562. In summary, the steps involve ECM updates, replacing the solenoids (and there are now newer solenoid parts than were originally used; the new parts end in 83/84), replacing both actuators (again there are newer parts), and changing the oil and filter for good measure. This work needs to be done at the same time, or at least in this order. There are now numerous instances where this work has resolved the symptoms for a month or more, which has been my "rule of thumb" for marking repair as a success. With your build date of April, you want to check on recall 11195 also. This would address the ECM updates and solenoids; then bulletin 562 would address replacing the actuators. All of this is mentioned in 562. Also, from the data and other information, a "key" to this is making sure the timing chain doesn't slip when replacing the actuators.

There are successes being reported out there, so hopefully this may help you. Good luck.

By the way: my thanks to those who have contributed to this information... yuns know who you are!

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
The engine requires engine oil approved to the dexos specification. Oils meeting this specification can be identified with the dexos certification mark. Look for and use only an engine oil that displays the dexos certification mark of the proper viscosity grade. This can be found on page 11-6 or your owner’s manual. You can also get more information in the section titled Engine Oil on page 10-10. I hope this helps. Please feel free to contact me directly if you need more assistance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I would ask the dealer if it wasnt Dexos, was it Dexos certified?...and if not.....WHY?!

·
Registered
194 Posts
With what model year did the dexos thing start?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
The engine requires engine oil approved to the dexos specification. Oils meeting this specification can be identified with the dexos certification mark. Look for and use only an engine oil that displays the dexos certification mark of the proper viscosity grade. This can be found on page 11-6 or your owner’s manual. You can also get more information in the section titled Engine Oil on page 10-10. I hope this helps. Please feel free to contact me directly if you need more assistance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
Tricia .. The statement is not true for the 2010 models.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
RNOX said:
Tricia .. The statement is not true for the 2010 models.

Did you ever think that...maybe it should be? Adopted for 2011 MY..it was too late to back up and include Dexos in the 2010 manual...but just what is used when 2010s are now seviced by a dealership? Was there such a drastic mechanical change for 2011 engines to warrant the difference..or just the realization by GM that engine oil 'Dexos approved' was better used for these engines? Perhaps something to think about.

·
Registered
977 Posts
IceMan said:
Did you ever think that...maybe it should be? Adopted for 2011 MY..it was too late to back up and include Dexos in the 2010 manual...but just what is used when 2010s are now seviced by a dealership? Was there such a drastic mechanical change for 2011 engines to warrant the difference..or just the realization by GM that engine oil 'Dexos approved' was better used for these engines? Perhaps something to think about.
The manual states you do not have to use DEXOS on the 2010 model. Just stating a fact from the manual on the 2010 that says GM spec 6094 is required for the engine. I don't know why DEXOS was required in 2011 GM vehicles. GM should answer that question which they won't. Here's some info on DEXOS. I do use syn blends and they are marked DEXOS but no logo. I have a 2010 4 cyl. :

If you own a 2011 GM vehicle, there are some big changes in store for you.Until now, GM consumers had the choice of any major brand of oil and did not worry about whether that would void their warranty. But starting in 2011, GM is insisting on new motor oil restrictions far different from the rest of the industry. In fact, GM owners are being told to exclusively use GM's own dexos brand of motor oil. This raises several questions.

Q. Do I have to go to the dealer to get my oil changed?
A. No. You have the right to choose where your vehicle is serviced for routine maintenance. According to the Federal Trade Commission, it is illegal for a dealer or manufacturer to void your warranty simply because you did not have your vehicle serviced at a dealer.

Q. Besides dexos products, there are other products that meet or exceed dexos specifications but don't appear to be licensed by GM. Which can I use?
A. You can use any product that meets dexos specifications. You are not required to use the dexos brand. GM has chosen to grant licenses only to companies that pay them a substantial fee - a fee that will be passed on to consumers. So, some companies have chosen to make a product that meets the same standards as a licensed product without adding an unnecessary cost to the product that consumers would be forced to pay. Non-GM-licensed products that meet the dexos specifications will likely have a statement on the product like "meets dexos specifications" or something similar.

Q. If I don't use a GM-licensed motor oil, will my warranty be voided?
A. No, federal law prohibits a manufacturer from requiring the use of a specific brand in order to maintain the warranty. The FTC recently issued a consumer alert to remind consumers and businesses that the manufacturer or dealer must prove that a given product caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage on the basis of the product simply being used.

It is also worth noting that GM itself has acknowledged alternative engine oils may be used if dexos is unavailable: In the event that dexos approved engine oil is not available at an oil change or for maintaining proper oil level, you may use substitute engine oil displaying the API Starburst symbol and of SAE 5W30 viscosity grade. Use of oils that do not meet the dexos specification, however, may result in reduced performance under certain circumstances.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
It seems to me..that GM is 'requiring' that the oil run in these engines should meet or beat the Dexos specs. In order to insure this..'look for the Dexos symbol'. Then they are charging for that easily found GM authorized symbol with some oil companies. However..any blend will do..if..it 'meets or exceeds' that criteria.
What might not be so good anymore is your favorite sound good: Ultra Silver...Platinum Champagne...Gold Medallion...Liquid Magnum...or Nobel Mobile IF it 'doesn't meet the standards' for this direct injection 4 cyl engine that GM has decided to require as a minimum. Better performance can include alot of things.
Some would rather run their personal brand..cause surely it is as good or better simply because they've used it for decades..and that brand now even offers the new super duper 'Premium Performance'. Maybe even not a blend..but they like it ...somehow..some way. It just feels good in the car and has always served them well in other engines.
Who knows..maybe Dexos specs is only another $$ scam...or 'just maybe' it is better for this engine. 2010 or '11. Evidentally oil with the GM Dexos symbol for sure is the real deal..others..probably should read the label a little closer. If you don't really care if it meets GM requirements..then run what you want. It is legal since you're the one who owns the CUV.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts