GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through my manual today and ran across the Dexos specification for oil. I have used Quaker State oil for years so I went to their website to see if their oil has the Dexos specs. Unless I'm reading it wrong it looks like only their synthetic oil has the Dexos specs. Is this true of all brands? There was also mention on one of the websites that an oil with the API starburst symbol would also work in place of the Dexos spec. Could someone enlighten me?

·
Registered
441 Posts
yes thats true of all brands....

dexos is required when available...if no dexos oil, then an API can be subbed in place of it...no harm will come of it.....

use dexos when at all possible....

·
Registered
626 Posts
Wish I could find some with the dexos label on the shelves, but so far no dice.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Our local dealer suggested I get Dexos for the next oil change since it will cost me less than the Mobil 1 they're putting in now for me as per my request.

Should give me a few extra changes on the GM maintenance card before it is used up.

·
Registered
626 Posts
My dealer hadn't heard of dexos when I purchased in November...hopefully by now it's all they stock. ::)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
See the many other dexos/oil threads on this forum for more answers. Don't think we need to start another oil thread.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Im a big fan of Valvoline Conventional. Its regular dino oil.
But performs great in my DI with 5000 mile oil changes. this based on UOA.
Now mine is a 2010. As you know the 2011's recommend Dexos.
This oil is not Dexos Approved. yet... as its not on the label and not on their website- in the product data sheet.
The other day I went to stock up on this oil- as it was on sale At Kmart- $2.40 a quart. Cant beat that. especially since its all I use...
BUT I noticed that some of the bottles had new labels. I read the labels and found that the older labels were SM/SL ILSAC GF4.
The new labels were SN ILSAC GF 5.
So I went online and found the following.... I Looked it up.

GF-5 Standard

In addition to GM dexos, a new International Lubricants Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) standard, GF-5, will be introduced in October 2010. There will be a corresponding API category - SN Resource Conserving. The current GF-4 standard was put in place in 2004. The GF-5 standard will use a new fuel economy test, Sequence VID, which provides a statistically significant increase in fuel economy versus the Sequence VIB that was used for GF-4.
It's expected that all dexos1 approved oils will meet GF-5. However, not all GF-5 engine oils will necessarily meet the dexos1 specification.
Like dexos, the new ILSAC GF-5 standard will call for more sophisticated additives. The API will begin licensing marketers (the first license is expected October 2010) to produce and distribute GF-5 certified products, which are expected to include SAE 0W-20, 0W-30, 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils.

why stock up... wal mart 5qt jug =$15 kamrt 4 qt jug=$16.04 1 qt bottles I think is $4.25. so $2.40 is great.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I believe that the motor oil makers have to pay a fee to GM for each quart they sell. Also they have to submitt oil for testing. I guess they will just submitt the oils with higher mark ups (syns) rather than organic oil. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
13 Posts
With much reading on the internet regarding dexos, its my understanding that both Quaker State and Pennzoil have Dexos synthetic oil, but Valvoline has decided not to join the pack.

·
Registered
371 Posts
RNOX said:
I believe that the motor oil makers have to pay a fee to GM for each quart they sell. Also they have to submitt oil for testing. I guess they will just submitt the oils with higher mark ups (syns) rather than organic oil. Only time will tell.
I believe it was changed to an annual fee instead of so much per oil sold.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I read 9¢ a quart for the Dexos certification.

Several oil blenders are not going to pay for that little label. The oil will meet the specs, it just won't be on the list of approved oils.
Still good to use though.

Dexos spec is a 'blend'. Most all synthetics will meet that spec.
Most blends will too-brand name ones anyway.

OR make your own.
1/3 synthetic, 2/3 conventional. Same brand.

·
Registered
441 Posts
dwendt44 said:

Several oil blenders are not going to pay for that little label. The oil will meet the specs, it just won't be on the list of approved oils.

OR make your own.

what about additives?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
dwendt44 said:

OR make your own.
where in the hell on gods green earth woud someone come up with this??? JUST MAKE YOUR OWN dumb
you paid big money for your vehicle why would you try to screw it up with your "own" oil mix

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I talked to the service manager at my dealership and he told me he just got in his first 55 gal. drum of Dexos. I asked him how much they were going to charge for oil changes and he said he hadn't figured it out yet. Right now they charge $19.95 for an oil change.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Don B said:
I talked to the service manager at my dealership and he told me he just got in his first 55 gal. drum of Dexos. I asked him how much they were going to charge for oil changes and he said he hadn't figured it out yet. Right now they charge $19.95 for an oil change.
Around here a dealership oil change is $39.95 incl. taxes. So as you can see once again in Canada things cost more. :mad:

But for a synthetic oil change using Mobile 1 it's costing $90 incl. taxes. A 5L jug of Mobile 1 at Walmart is $42.

They told me that a Dexos oil change will be around $60-$70.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Don B said:
Wow $19.95 thats cheap. It costs $17.99 to get a filter and 5 quarts of oil at Advance auto parts.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
In the Chicago area, $19.95 only gets you a dino oil change...no way syn for that price.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I just received my Amsoil dealer newsletter and this is what it says about Dexos1.

Amsoil OE and XL 5w-30 oils meet the specifications outlined by GM for dexos1, but Amsoil has chosen not to license either through GM. Many other large oil manufactures have chosen not to license through the dexos1 program as well, including Valvoline and Castrol
According to 2011 GM owners manuals, GM also alows the use of other oils: "In the event that dexos-approved engine oil is not available at an oil change or for maintaining proper oil level, you may use substitute engine oil displaying the API Starburst symbol and of SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade."

Amsoil OE and XL 5W-30 oils meet dexos1 and API specifications, are API-licensed and carry the API Starburst symbol. They provide excelent protection and performance in vehicles specifing dexos1 oils.

There is a much larger article explaining dexos1 and GF-5 oil specifications and objectives.

......Amsoil OE and XL oils are API SN and ILSAC GF-5 licensed, and OE 5W-30 and XL 5W-30 are recommended for applications requiring the dexos1 specification.
......dexos1 oils carry an average 25-30 percent price premium.
......GF-5 oils cost about 15-20 percent more then GF-4 oils.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts