GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than from a GM Dealership, is this Dexos spec oil available anywhere ? Never heard of it before I bought an Equinox 2.4 ltr.
Do any of the mfgrs like Quaker State, etc offer this spec on their label ?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
when I first got my 2011 Terrain, GM didnt have Dexos out yet...let alone anyone else...

now you can find the 'Dexos' symbol on several other brands...Pennzoil, Mobil 1, Quaker State..etc...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, at least I now know it's readily available. (I really never heard of 'dexos' !!!!)

·
Registered
371 Posts
In case you haven't seen it yet. Here is the list of approved oils. Don't get hung up on finding the actual logos on the bottle of these approved oils. Logo are night they are fine. Only one sporting the logo I've seen is Mobil1.

http://www.gmdexos.com/licensedbrands.html

·
Registered
715 Posts
Any brand name synthetic oil will meet Dexos specifications; some refuse to pay GM for the privilege of being on the list.

The GM Dexos oil is a fairly good 'blend'. AFAIK, it's 60% conventional oil + 40% synthetic oil.

Most commercial 'blends' aren't that strong, but even those D.I. engines built before the Dexos specs were running on conventional oil.
It worked OK as long as you changed it at reasonable intervals.
D.I. engines are tough on oil, the 2.4L four cylinder one especially, so many are using synthetic. Some are 'blend'ing their own using the above ratio.

My 2¢

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
dwendt44 said:
The GM Dexos oil is a fairly good 'blend'. AFAIK, it's 60% conventional oil + 40% synthetic oil.
Where did you get this from ? I have been trying to get info on the percentages for the various blended oils, and I can't find it any place.

·
Registered
715 Posts
RIT333 said:
Where did you get this from ? I have been trying to get info on the percentages for the various blended oils, and I can't find it any place.
I read it somewhere, on bobistheoilguy, IIRC, some time ago when the whole 'Dexos' thing first showed up. Most 'blends', even brand name ones, can change their ratio at will due to price and profit considerations; which is why the rarely, if ever, release their own mix ratios.
Even a 5%syn+95% Conventional mix can be called a 'blend'.
Go full synthetic or blend your own is my suggestion.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you change your own oil, go with full synthetic. That's what I did with my 09 Outlook. Mobil 1 is what I have been using. The price difference at the dealership is crazy. Reg oil change is $29 and full synthetic oil change is $79. Crazy when the price difference per 5 gallon jug at Wallyworld is $5-10.

JCarm75

·
Registered
153 Posts
dwendt44 said:
Any brand name synthetic oil will meet Dexos specifications; some refuse to pay GM for the privilege of being on the list.

Most commercial 'blends' aren't that strong, but even those D.I. engines built before the Dexos specs were running on conventional oil.
It worked OK as long as you changed it at reasonable intervals.
D.I. engines are tough on oil, the 2.4L four cylinder one especially, so many are using synthetic. Some are 'blend'ing their own using the above ratio.

My 2¢
Yes, Valvoline is not on the list because they did not want to pay GM to put the logo on their oil, but in my opinion are one of the best options out there. No other company that I'm aware of will guarantee your engine 300,000 miles for free just by using their product. I'm using the full synthetic and did in my previous car as well.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sounds like the new snake oil. I hear that more and more car manufacturers come up with "their own" oil name brand, in an effort to get consumers back to the dealership for oil changes.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Or just out the door oil sales.

I'm reminded of Harley Davidson. They swore up and down that synthetic oil would ruin their engines. UNTIL they came out with their own branded synthetic oil.
Then it would work great in their engines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I bought my nox in Dec 2010 and needed my first oil change in 2011, I asked the Mobil 1 shop if the oil was Dexos & was assured it is. Now that I've been having some issues with the vehicle, my dealer is immediately saying they think the problem is with the oil not being Dexos. I've double checked and the Mobil 1 shop uses the Dexos oil and this is not the cause of the rough idle that happens off and on; not always, but it could happen once or twice a month or not for two or three months. Finally got a check engine light that shows code P0690 (see that post).

Just thought I'd share. If your dealer tries to tell you it's the oil, be sure you know what your shop is using.

·
Registered
977 Posts
amgrass623 said:
When I bought my nox in Dec 2010 and needed my first oil change in 2011, I asked the Mobil 1 shop if the oil was Dexos & was assured it is. Now that I've been having some issues with the vehicle, my dealer is immediately saying they think the problem is with the oil not being Dexos. I've double checked and the Mobil 1 shop uses the Dexos oil and this is not the cause of the rough idle that happens off and on; not always, but it could happen once or twice a month or not for two or three months. Finally got a check engine light that shows code P0690 (see that post).

Just thought I'd share. If your dealer tries to tell you it's the oil, be sure you know what your shop is using.
The 2010 model year does not require Dexo's (At least in my owners manual). Ask your dealer what proof they have that oil caused the problem.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
agreed..2011 was the first year of the 'Dexos' oil..

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Not listed what his vehicle is...but you are true about that...

·
Registered
977 Posts
I just bought some Castrol full syn. It says it "meets Dexos 1 performance requirements". It says Dexos is a licensed TM (Trademark) of GM. Dosen't say Dexos approved or show the Dexos symbol on the container. Could be like genaric Aspirn when they say compares to Bayer Aspirin TM owned buy Bayer. Just an observation.

Even in the 2011 requirements I beileve it says no Dexos oil can be used if not available.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I just looked at a bottle I have of Valvoline Syn blend. The Syn blend says it EXCEEDS DEXOS 1. The Castrol Edge Full syn only "MEETS" the DEXOS1 std.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Any full synthetic surpasses the Dexos performance levels. Dexos is a strong 'blend' level spec..

A lot of oil companies are refusing to pay the tribute to GM for the fancy label endorsement.
And YES they have to prove that the oil you use was the cause of any engine problems.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts