GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new 2011 Nox about 4 weeks ago and have 1100 miles on it--question about the dexos oil. Does the new car come from the factory with dexos synthetic oil or regular oil. I just wanted to add a little oil, and have Quaker State synthetic (approved dexos), but did not want to add synthetic to regular oil.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don't think anyone really knows what the factory fill is, but you can safely add the synthetic to conventional oil without harm.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I never used syn before I got my terrain and when I changed the oil I could tell right away that it was not dino. It has to be a blend or full syn.

·
Registered
715 Posts
A synthetic blend would satisfy the Dexos requirements.
The factory fill is supposed to be Dexos spec oil. But GM oil is middle of the road oil, nothing special.
Adding some synthetic oil for top off is fine.

Most blends are lucky to be 1/3 synthetic/ 2/3 mineral oil.
Some are even less.
Real cheap, no-name synthetic oil is likely only about 5% synthetic.

Using oil at 1100 miles?

Hmmm.

·
Registered
481 Posts
texasnox11 said:
Just got my new 2011 Nox about 4 weeks ago and have 1100 miles on it--question about the dexos oil. Does the new car come from the factory with dexos synthetic oil or regular oil. I just wanted to add a little oil, and have Quaker State synthetic (approved dexos), but did not want to add synthetic to regular oil.
Synthetic is fully compatible with regular oil. It won't hurt to mix it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts