GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked the level of antifreeze in my 07 Nox yesterday. The level was about 1"-2" below where it should be in the coolant surge tank. I had checked it last wk. and it was at the line.
Looking for suggestions on what I should do:
a) Buy some DEXCOOL and fill the surge tank up to the proper level.
b) Have the coolant flushed out and refilled w/DEXCOOL.
c) Have the coolant flushed out and refilled with another type of anti-freeze.

Have seen on the 'Net about possible issues w/DEXCOOL is the reason for c)

Is there a topic/thread on this forum concerning DEXCOOL?

Thank you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ADDENDUM to DEXCOOL problem

I cannot find any signs of a leak anywhere, not on the ground, not in the oil, etc.
Could it be getting into the tranny somehow?

Thanks,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
Are you checking the level when cold?

If so, add the dexcool or dex/water and keep an eye on it.

If it's losing coolant you can make guesses all day as to the problem, but until you pressurize the system and see if it has leaks (ie the pressure drops) it's all a guessing game.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
nox07 said:
ADDENDUM to DEXCOOL problem

I cannot find any signs of a leak anywhere, not on the ground, not in the oil, etc.
Could it be getting into the tranny somehow?

Thanks,
It could be a head gasket. I'd add either water &/or dexcool until you can find the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Many mechanics refer to DEX-COOL as DEX-KILL.
You can't use any other coolant in GM vehicles.
If you have 60,000 or more miles on the Nox you should have the system flushed and refilled at a radiator shop.

Just my opinion of course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
43sbest said:
Many mechanics refer to DEX-COOL as DEX-KILL.
You can't use any other coolant in GM vehicles.
If you have 60,000 or more miles on the Nox you should have the system flushed and refilled at a radiator shop.

Just my opinion of course.
Their are universal coolants now that can be used in vehicles that have used DEX-COOL. My mechanhic changed mine about a year ago .. No problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
I've been having the same problem, I'm with RnB on the head gaskets. I'm going to get new gaskets put in, in a few months. For now, the shop I go to put block sealer in and it hasn't been losing any coolant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Not 100% sure but I thought I read somewhere that Dex-Cool in the 3.4 and 3.1 v6 engines attacks the intake manifold gaskets, causing coolant to be drawn into the cylinders and "burned" with the fuel mixture. Again, not sure about the validity of this, but is one more area to look at. At least all the carbon will cleaned off your piston tops, combustion chambers, and valves if this is happening! Good luck in diagnosing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
rip66 said:
Not 100% sure but I thought I read somewhere that Dex-Cool in the 3.4 and 3.1 v6 engines attacks the intake manifold gaskets, causing coolant to be drawn into the cylinders and "burned" with the fuel mixture. Again, not sure about the validity of this, but is one more area to look at. At least all the carbon will cleaned off your piston tops, combustion chambers, and valves if this is happening! Good luck in diagnosing.
I believe you're right, I was reading the acids in Dex eats away at the gaskets. I know my shop uses some kind of different dex coolant, I'll have to ask when I go in Thursday to get some winter tires...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
The troublesome intake gaskets were corrected sometime in 2003 with updated part.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Terra-Nox said:
The troublesome intake gaskets were corrected sometime in 2003 with updated part.
Are we talking about head gaskets or intake gaskets??? ;) Well it seems they didn't.. My 05 is need of replacing the gaskets, and here's a video I found where he's talking about the head gaskets and the problems he was having before he decided to change the gaskets.

Equinox 3.4L Blown Head Gasket
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top