GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm having an issues with my Equinox's paint. I went through a touchless carwash twice thinking that it was just a crappy touchless wash. But after each of the wash's there was a real fine grit left behind on the paint. and the only thing that has taken it off (for about a day) is a clay bar. It seems that the equinox is attracting this fine grit and making the paint constantly look matte red. After the car is clay barred and waxed, the paint looks amazing, but it just wont stay clean for very long.

Has anyone else had this issue? if so, how do you fix it? I just dont have the time to be hand washing my equinox every other day.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Sounds like a environmental issue.

Odds are there is some kind of environment that generates the deposits on the paint. Not sure what you have around or where you take the car but I would clean it and start to watch where you are when you start seeing it.

The clay bars were first invented to remove the metal flakes generated on railroad during transportation. The cars would get to the dealers and have the metal flakes stuck to the paint. The clay removed it with out repaint or massive buffing.

Might check to see if you park near a rail line or some industry that can generate flakes like this.

There is nothing with the paint as it will not magnetize or attract this. Clear coats just catch these flakes from the source and then they rust and you see them. Feel the paint as you will feel it before you see it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live out in the boondocks and when I run my finger across the stuff, its black. my previous vehicle (2012 Captiva same color) never had this issue. and when I took that through the same carwash, it came out clean. so IDK whats going on with this car.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Camaro69car said:
I live out in the boondocks and when I run my finger across the stuff, its black. my previous vehicle (2012 Captiva same color) never had this issue. and when I took that through the same carwash, it came out clean. so IDK whats going on with this car.
All I can say is paint does not attract metal. I have too little info on where you are and where you go but you are getting something from where ever the car has been.

Paint can not magnetize.

Just because you are in the boondocks does not prevent what ever it is that is in the air from being deposited on the car. It could be airborne or even coming from a road paved with something in the material or even a rail line that is near by.

I would just keep a feel on the paint surface and see where it is when it starts to feel ruff.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
This does sound like some kind of environmental issue. What happens it you try and hand wash your car?

Maybe there is some mineral build up or contamination of the car wash system.

Have you tried another car wash?

I know one "high presssure" touchless car wash I go to leaves a film on the car finish. If I take a towel and some spray detailer to the car right after I exit the car wash it removes any residual film. I like to do this as a general practice anyway.

Also, twice a year use of a good polish, followed by a wax will lessen chances of any build up. Also, the spray detailer products work muc better when the paint has had a good polish and wax. Then the washing and the spray detailer is all that is needed.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I agree with hyperv6 , this is definitly something in the enviroment . One thing I have noticed is a freshly waxed vehicle will seem to catch more stuff from the air . Like pollen in the air just sticks the the vehicle until its washed or even driven a bit and it will usually blow off . You said you live in the boondachs , is someone near you burning there trash or maybe leaves so the soot is blown your way . Do you park outdoors alll the time . Are you BBQ-ing near your car . Really hard to tell what may be going on , but its air borne and ends up on your car . Acid rain used to be an issue on some GM cars that wre clear coated , had it happen to me back in the mid 90's . Good luck .

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've even gone as far as clay barring the entire car, it cleans it all off, but the next day or 2 its got this real fine grit to it, that water will not rinse off. The reason im so confused is that my last vehicle, parked in the exact same spot for over 6 months never had this issue. its just a real fine dust almost, that just does not want to go away without a handwash. The enviroment has not changed, just the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Check your breaks. Bad break pads can give off a dust that almost embeds in paint within days. I don't know how to prove that it is or isn't your breaks, it's just something I've heard from a detailer.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It does make sense that it could be brake dust, but throughout the whole car and the liftgate? what kind of pads could produce that much brake dust, and have it not be on the wheels?

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Camaro69car said:
It does make sense that it could be brake dust, but throughout the whole car and the liftgate? what kind of pads could produce that much brake dust, and have it not be on the wheels?
I agree that it is unlikely that you can produce that much brake dust.

Where about do you live ? Any chance of any new coal-fired power plants that have just started operating in your area ? Or, maybe one has just come out of its Spring maintenance period and come back on-line.

Have you asked any neighbors/friends if they are seeing the same thing happening to their cars ? Check out some parked vehicles to see if they are affected.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Well, I would say the wheels are moving a lot faster and the dust is collecting in the turbulence of the car.

The road in front of my house has been unpaved for several months now. I can assure you the dust collected on the rear hatch very easily.

I can really only guess at it though, sorry. Maybe you can get some good high-res pics of it next time?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
You can not see or feel the environmental issues that cause this. This is the kind of stuff you just don't see it coming.

Brakes can be a cause if they are metallic or semi metallic but they are becoming rare anymore and generally you have to be hard on the brakes to cause this.

Odds are great it is something in the air and it could be even coming 100 miles away and you will never see, smell or feel it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My Grandpa parked his 2014 traverse next to my car, and we left them next to each other, after washing them yesterday. mine has the black funk on it, and his doesent. what gives?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I would think that a nice hand wax job might prevent this stuff from sticking as much, whatever it is. Why not call around to car washes or detailers in your area to see if they have any experience with the issue?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Camaro69car said:
I may have to do that, I mean its rediculous and really annoying.
Tape a piece of white paper using painters blue trim tape to the hood right after washing it and getting the spots off. Tape all of the edges of the paper to try and get it completely sealed off.

If the spots come back on all of the car including the paper, it is more than likely environmental. If the spots come back including under the paper, there is some type of contaminate on the paint.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Wash your car VERY well, dry it off COMPLETELY. Take a plastic sandwich bag, place it on your hand and gently rub the surface of the vehicle. If there is any contaminant on the paint you will feel it. If needed clay bar the entire vehicle and apply a good coat of wax, maybe try a different wax.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Camaro69car said:
My Grandpa parked his 2014 traverse next to my car, and we left them next to each other, after washing them yesterday. mine has the black funk on it, and his doesent. what gives?
That sucks man I'm sorry to hear. I wonder if this is some type of failure of the clear coat or paint and every time you wash you remove the dust and expose the next lawyer? Kind of like exfoliating skin with a scrub. Logically it doesn't make sense.

Interested to hear the results of what one person suggested about tapping down a piece of paper. Could also use a car cover to wrap it for a weekend and see what's going on underneath.

Either way, seems totally bizaar.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts