GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
hyperv6

What do you think about using the California Water Blade for drying a car. They are silicone blades, I believe. I have 2 of them, but am afraid to use them on paint. I use them on the windows to get most of the water off, but I am always afraid to use them on painted surfaces.

What does and "expert" think of those ?

THX

Rit

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have a black '99 miata, stored in the winter and kept in the garage. I do the claybar every spring, when I do a full detail. It cleans the surface and preps it for the wax and glaze that I apply. Then I can do washes and quick waxing the rest of the summer.

I also use the California duster for the dust/pollen on the clean surface..

I have one of the California blades, used it once...didn't care for it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
RIT333 said:
hyperv6

What do you think about using the California Water Blade for drying a car. They are silicone blades, I believe. I have 2 of them, but am afraid to use them on paint. I use them on the windows to get most of the water off, but I am always afraid to use them on painted surfaces.

THX

Rit
I use the California jelly blade every dry. I'm curious as to whether or not the user who didn't like it has the red blade handle version or the yellow. I have both and I must say I despise of the yellow one because it is way too stiff compared to my old red one.

Don't go expecting it to remove all of the water. It's great for quickly moving about 80-90% of it off the panels and then I follow up with a gentle blot dry with a microfiber towel. I think some people under estimate how important it is to use the right products when drying because they are so focused on the wash technique itself. Not to say its a bad thing to do. I've actually seen people taking bath towels to dry their cars and worse shop rags and paper towels.. Might as well dry it off with 2000 grit sandpaper at that point.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
RIT333 said:
hyperv6

THX

Rit

I have one and have used it but generally I only use it on older flat cars that the paint is not perfect on. They do work but you need to use a lot of care not to get any dirt in them. Damage will happen if not careful. To be honest it has been a few years since i used one. With a towel the towel can pick up the dirt the blade if not found can drag the dirt on the surface. Both can streak but the towel has less risk. THis is why I went to the blow dryer. Nothing but air touches the surfaece and on a black car that means a lot on, Silver or lighter color it is not as important.

Also like stated above they still leave a lot of water and all of the drips.

WIth the arrival of Microfiber towels I would recomend using them as they absorbe a lot of water and protect the surface. Make sure to follow the directions on the care of them and you get good service out of them. I use nothing but large microfiber towels now. Prices are resonable on most but note the really cheap once will not last as long. It is another case of you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
36 Posts
IMO generally anything you do to wash and dry your car can damage it when done incorrectly. I have about 3 storage bins full of microfiber towels that I use religiously. BUT even they have their flaws... Once you start picking up any leaves or other contaminant particles they are next to impossible to remove from the Material wet or dry... That's probably why 75% of my microfibers have navigated to my interior only bin.

Still love my RED jelly blade. Prior to drying with it I just lightly "wash" it with my wash mitt and then rinse off under the hose and it's good to go...

No problem at all with the blow drying though IMO its the safest method out there I just havent gotten around to investing the money into the unit I want.

·
Registered
112 Posts
eeks and knocks said:
Ah let the clay wars begin... +1 for the poster that said clay is a cleaner and not a polisher. When done right you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Is clay barring necessary to do when you maticulously follow a proper wash and wax schedule?? Hmm, yes and no. Do the simple plastic bag on the hand test after a good wash and let it tell you... You may or may not feel invisible little bumps all over the finish. I am lucky enough to live next door to someone who loves painting bikes out in his garage and I can tell you from multiple experiences nothing works better for overspray removal than a little clay and lube... Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of parking all of my vehicles in the garage. That spot is reserved for my heavily modded 2007 mustang gt being the ford guy I am. Yep, I said it lol...

Awwww man........ I want one of these!!! I don't have $300 to drop right now, but I REALLY want one! If anyone ever sees these things at a lower price, PLEEEEEEEASE post! Guess I need to sell some stuff on ebay so I can save for one. [/color]

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Nothing against claying, if you intend to keep your car forever or put put it in a car show like I do, then it's a good thing to do.
I don't do it - too time consumming for very little benefit. Since most people trade in their cars in 5 to 6 years while the paint is still looking great, I have to question the reason why do it. My main objection to doing it is I'd much rather be out riding my Harley.

I also use the California Duster - it's a great cleaning tool. I do use a silicone squeegy - only on my windows year round. In the winter I spray all the windows with windshield de-icer and then use use the squeegy - works great. I do use the squeegy on my back up car(2001 Tiberon), but not on the Terrain. What I do use is the Mr. Clean Auto Dry Wash system. No need to blow dry or squeegy. I get a spot free rinse every time.
I do have a blow dryer - it's my wifes old dog grooming dryer - and only use it on my bike to get all the water out of the nooks and cranies.
I polish or wax my cars a couple times a year - that's it. I still use terry cloth towels instead of microfiber and believe it or not - I use one large wash bucket to clean the car. Old habits die hard - especially if I don't see any improvements. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I'm not sure what California blade I have...I will have to check!

·
Registered
36 Posts
wrusprod said:
I'm not sure what California blade I have...I will have to check!
Big difference believe it or not between the red and yellow. I bought a yellow one as a backup to my heavily used red one and the only time I use the yellow is when I can't find my red one... At first I thought it was just me and because it was new it was so much stiffer... Nope, bought the red one and just like my old red one it had a lot more flex allowing it to get around corners much easier

·
Registered
850 Posts
I will reply. My 06 black exterior car gets and $80.00 exterior treatment from Ziebart around September of every year. From then on it is AUTO car wash winter and summer with under body flushes. There are NO swirl marks or finger nail scratches around the door handles and the paint still has the clear coat original factory shine. This is how I wash my car with no muss or fuss and still looks like it came off the show room floor. IMO, of coarse. :binky:

New Terrain will get same treatment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
two things i have sap on my hood what is the best way to take it off?The other thought my seats are vinyl (slt1) so i just use a wipe i was told they are not leather and a leather cleaner does not work on vinyl.Is that right?

41 - 51 of 51 Posts