GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I have a curious issue...I noticed a dent of some kind on the passenger side of my vehicle at the very bottom of the piece that runs along the body of the vehicle (above the black plastic piece) where the bottom of the front door meets the body of the vehicle (I really hope that makes sense because I don't know how else to describe it and I don't know the technical name for it!). It looks like something came from underneath and punched the body of the vehicle so that when you open the door and crouch down to look at it, it looks like it is popping out at you (like a reverse dent).

When I took my Equinox in for an oil change I pointed it out to the service guy and he thought it was strange but that was the extent of that. I thought it was only on the one side, but now I have noticed that it is on the driver's side as well....I don't know if it was always like that because I never noticed it before...and I don't know if it happened to one side, then the other or both sides at once. I have a couple people suggest to me that it looks like some kind of 'buckling' that could have occured if the lifted the vehicle up on the wrong beam or something when doing an oil change...

So, until I get a chance to check out other Equinoxes at the dealer to see if it is a normal thing, I thought I would ask if anyone else has noticed this on their 2010 Equinoxes?

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
FedorekC said:
Hello there,

I have a curious issue...I noticed a dent of some kind on the passenger side of my vehicle at the very bottom of the piece that runs along the body of the vehicle (above the black plastic piece) where the bottom of the front door meets the body of the vehicle (I really hope that makes sense because I don't know how else to describe it and I don't know the technical name for it!). It looks like something came from underneath and punched the body of the vehicle so that when you open the door and crouch down to look at it, it looks like it is popping out at you (like a reverse dent).

When I took my Equinox in for an oil change I pointed it out to the service guy and he thought it was strange but that was the extent of that. I thought it was only on the one side, but now I have noticed that it is on the driver's side as well....I don't know if it was always like that because I never noticed it before...and I don't know if it happened to one side, then the other or both sides at once. I have a couple people suggest to me that it looks like some kind of 'buckling' that could have occured if the lifted the vehicle up on the wrong beam or something when doing an oil change...

So, until I get a chance to check out other Equinoxes at the dealer to see if it is a normal thing, I thought I would ask if anyone else has noticed this on their 2010 Equinoxes?
Mine DOES NOT have that. The explanation about it being jacked improperly makes some sense. I would crawl under the car and see if you find any evidence of it by looking for a dent under the car that should not be there. I'm guessing you'll find it. (NO, I didn't change your oil ! LOL)

Good luck, and keep us posted on the outcome - it definitely is not right.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm ok. I will take some pictures as soon as I can. Both my boyfriend and my dad are thinking it might be from being jacked improperly...they tried to take a look underneath and felt behind where the dent/crease is and there doesn't appear to be any signs of anything flying up and hitting it. Moreover...it seems odd that something would fly up from underneath and hit both sides in the same exact spot.

Thanks, I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
You've owned this car for almost a year, right ? If this were there from the start, I would think you would have seen it looong ago. I'm still betting on improper jacking. Do you bring it to the same place for oil changes ?

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I printed out your description to make sure I looked in the right place and when I opened the driver's door and looked down just above the black plastic I immediately saw a "bump" or "dimple" that I had never noticed. It's almost exactly in the middle between the identification plate on the right and a black plastic piece on the left. You can feel it if you run your finger over it. It's definitely NOT something you'd notice unless it was pointed out to you or you happened to run your hand over it.

Is THIS what you're talking about? I didn't check the passenger side, but there's probably one there too.

I would say this is a manufacturing "defect" (for lack of a better word). It's NOT due to any kind of jacking or lifting of the car, and it's NOT due to any rock or other object striking the car from underneath because there's no way for that to happen - because it's completely closed off on the underside. Also, the paint is pristine over it, not cracked or crazed in any way.

It came that way from the factory. Who knows why. Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RIT333 - Yes I have owned my 'Nox for almost 1 year, that is why I was surprised that I just noticed these as well!

but...

Colt Hero - You are right as well! I took it in to the dealer today and pointed it out to them, then we went to have a look at a brand new 'Nox in the showroom and sure enough the 'bump/dimples' were there, and even more noticeable than on mine! I guess it is just something that happens when they are manufacturing them. Like you said, it is all closed off underneath and the paint over top is just perfect.

I suppose we can call them character lines or something :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also noticed this right when I got into my new car...by then, it was too late. lol.
oh well, our cars have dimples!! ::)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts