GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

How many defects did you find either upon delivery or shortly after?

• One or just a few but all minor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quite a few minor problems

• One or more major problems

Defects Found at or Shortly After Delivery

30K views 24 replies 23 participants last post by  toddmeister 
#1 ·
Just curious what sorts of issues people have had and whether they've been successful getting them resolved. Mine came with quite a few minor problems:

- brake pedal is sticky at top of travel
- damaged left rear C-pillar inside trim
- damaged exterior window rubber, two windows
- leftover blue plastic shipping wrap stuck inside some trim (the stuff they cover the car with during shipping)
- damaged left A-pillar speaker cover

Dealer fixed the last three, and tried to fix the 2nd item but the replacement panel was almost as bad as the original. Still trying to get them to acknowledge the sticky brake pedal. It seems incredible to me that they're unable to duplicate the problem, as it's not intermittent and is incredibly annoying.

#2 ·
I had a clunk in the back when I pulled out of the driveway for a week and I look to see if I could find out what it was but found nothing.
Funny thing is it went away right after that and has not come back.

#3 ·
Couldn't open passenger door from inside after dealer installed chrome door handles. Took about five minutes to fix. The other item that was annoying was the rear hatch misaligned. Large gap on right side, zero gap on left. Took to a dealer up north and they totally screwed it up. Ended up aligning it myself.

#4 ·
- Dealer prep with a sharp knife where some patience and care should have been used.
- B-pillar trim and plastic chrome trim will need to be replaced.

To see a pic click here... http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=2061.0

- Misc delivery plastic around the vehicle exterior. (I guess left over plastic is better than the above option to remove it.)
- Rattle in the rear cargo area (but it comes and goes.)
- iPhone sync does not consistently work.

&

- A defective dealership for not returning my calls of following up.

#5 ·
ObNOXious said:
- B-pillar trim and plastic chrome trim will need to be replaced.

To see a pic click here... http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=2061.0
Wow, that's pretty amazing that someone deliberately screwed up the trim and left it to you, the customer, to complain about it. I'd fire his a$$ fast.

ObNOXious said:
- A defective dealership for not returning my calls of following up.
I guess this one goes along with the other. ::)

#6 ·
I had a round dent (about 1.5" in diameter) in my front quarter panel near the hood seam. A colleague brought it to my attention a week after I bought it. I looked at some photos I took of the vehicle less than 24 hours after picking it up and sure as shootin' the dent was there at that time. So I had driven it off the lot and didn't notice it for a whole week!

Dealer sent me to his paintless dent repair guy and it was fixed within an hour, at no cost to me. It's not completely perfect (I thought it would be) but if you don't know it's there you'll never see the spot.

The dealer will usually do quite a bit for you if you haven't received your satisfaction survey yet...

#7 ·
I picked up my 2011 Terrain at the end of November and have a couple items I have to call and schedule a dealer appointment about. I noticed them right after delivery but seeing as it's 20 degrees here I wanted to wait a little bit and see if any more develop.

- One of those little plastic screws that hold on the plastic in the wheel wells is missing from the rear passenger fender.
- There's a loud squeaking/rubbing type noise that happens on the drivers side door. I've narrowed it down to the very end of the chrome strip that must bend ever so slightly when the door is opened. Anyone else have this?
- I'm going to see if they can recalibrate my transmission. The Terrain always is in 1 gear too high. It seems to be in 6th gear when I'm going like 42mph so when I apply the gas it like groans and takes a few seconds of hard gas for it up to downshift and get moving. It's done this consistently every day since pickup (ECO mode and non) so I'm hoping the dealer can do something about it. As a temp fix I've been putting the car in manual mode on 5 and it seems to not let it shift into 6. But if it's in automatic, the RPMs will go down to about 1000 sometimes which is a bit crazy.

#8 ·
Our dealer is a former Saturn dealer that has turned into a Cadillac, GMC, Buick and Subaru dealer. Needless to say, they are awesome at accommodating us even when it comes out of their pocket.

#9 ·
Found scratch on driver windshield piller. Its tan so the sratch appears white. The driver door panel also had some scratches at the bottom, not deep though. Found some blue dots on the back windows and inside door panels. There was also some shrink wrap type plastic around door trim. Never mentioned any of it to dealer. Dont really care that much as I understand this happens and I dont want to mess up the quiet rattle free ride. Btw 11 terrain.

#10 ·
A week after I got my Nox and was washing it. Noticed on top that the paint was buffed down to the primer (About a 6 inch long buy 1 inch wide mark) Called the dealer and went to the body shop per their instructions. The body shop manager said he didn't no how to bill it so he had to talk to the "Director of Service" (This is a huge dealership that sells all GM models). The "Director of Service" told him to bring the car to the "Service Manger" who procedded to yell and curse at the body shop mgr. in front of my 5 year old to just bill it as a f'in paint defect. All this took place over an hour. It did get repainted the following week and took 3 days. No loaner vehilce

The sqeak from the rear they didn't hear when it rained, brought back they heard it but needed the Nox for the day. Made another appiontment said they fixed it but didn't .. I fixed myself.

#11 ·
Jimmy-b said:
Couldn't open passenger door from inside after dealer installed chrome door handles. Took about five minutes to fix. The other item that was annoying was the rear hatch misaligned. Large gap on right side, zero gap on left. Took to a dealer up north and they totally screwed it up. Ended up aligning it myself.
Seems like they forgot to attach the rod to the handle :p

Same thing happened to me when I got my front windows tinted. I got home and went to open the passenger door from inside.....and nothing! Just brought it back and he showed me it was the rod came out while he was installing the panel again. Honest mistake.

#14 ·
Brought the 2011 Nox home last Friday night. Saturday morning went out to the garage and saw a puddle of oil under the car. :shrug: The dealership was very upset and told me to bring it back on Monday. They gave me a rental, paid for the gas for the rental and after fixing it brought my car back to my home 45 minutes away. The O ring seal located on the bottom of the engine at the starter housing had been damaged/crushed from the factory. Now no more oil leak. Great service from Ourisman-Rockmont Chevrolet in Rockville, MD. All in all a very good service experience. Now I wish they'd stop calling to check on me! :D

#15 ·
I'm one of those people who research (both online and in person) like crazy before making a purchase, and that includes not only multiple test drives, but also a through inspection of the body work and interior. I can safely say that my Nox (bought off the lot) had no apparent defects from the factory and none have shown up in the 1.2 years since. One thing I did notice is that GM has learned a few things about assembly from the imports...the body gap tolerances were as good or better than any of the import brands that I cross shopped including Honda and Toyota. So far *knocks on wood* my only visit to the dealer was to get the HVAC firmware flashed per a service bulletin, and a bolt replaced in the driver seat lumbar adjustment. Both visits were done in less than an hour in and out, so I'm very pleased even more than a year later.

#16 ·
Found a discoloration on the cover for the storage unit on the top of the head unit upon delivery. Upon picking up the plates 2 weeks later, they had it rubbed down with a chemical that got rid of it 95%. I could have requested them to replace the part, but since it's not lying around that would have meant returning again in another week and wasting gas for a discoloration that by that point was unnoticeable unless you specifically looked for it so I just let it go. The other day I noticed a little bit of poor stitching work where the ceiling fabric ends and the top of the windshield begins.

The bigger problem I have is with the poor quality, hard plastic that almost totally covers the dash, center stack, console, and door areas. It just feels too cheap and scuffs with even the LIGHTEST touch. I guess corners had to be cut somewhere to keep the price low...

#17 ·
vince730 said:
The bigger problem I have is with the poor quality, hard plastic that almost totally covers the dash, center stack, console, and door areas. It just feels too cheap and scuffs with even the LIGHTEST touch. I guess corners had to be cut somewhere to keep the price low...
On my Terrain - I was dissapointed in the interior surface finish initially - it seemed to show every little scuff mark and rub mark (including those at assembly) and had a hazy look to the color.

I used a product that I have had for quite a while in my garage - Turtle Wax Clear Guard. It goes on leaving a wet look but when you wipe it off - it leaves a slightly darker, more consistent surface finish appearance with no scuff or rub marks. Any rubs or scuffs since then have not left a noticeable mark. It really made the interior look much better than when I received it new (looks more expensive - I don't think the material is actually that cheap)

NOTE: this product does not leave a shiny or glossy surface - it still has the matte finish but a better more consistent color. It also does not cause a film to show up on the inside of the windows in the heat like other products I have used (Armor All, etc.) . I don't know what is in it - I also used it on our new Regal (which had the same cheap looking appearance due to scuffs, inconsistent color) with great results after my wife complained abbout the appearance. I wish I had taken before and after pictures to show the difference. I have not had to re-apply it since - it was put on in March of this year.

#19 ·
I year and four months in and to this point Zero defects.

I am picky and will have anything that I deem wrong fixed and to this point I have yet to find anything wrong, missing, not or incorrectly installed.

This is the second new car I have had with no defects.

As for petty design things that is not what this thread is about. Those are not defects and are buyers errors for not checking it out.

#20 ·
2011 3.0L v6 awd.
Noticed battery cable was very close to exhaust added heat tape and put it in the clip that it should have been installed in.
Dent on the RR door from the inside of door.
Had it repaired no charge.

#21 ·
Just took delivery of a 2013 3.6L v6 awd today.
The sliding cover in the hatch is scratched , headliner has some dirty spots and does not fit well, missing a screw for the rear wheel well cover and push pin for front wheel well cover.
Dealer will clean and adjust and replace as necessary.
Have not had time to go underneath and check out the rest of it.
Built on a Monday according to the date code hopefully it is not a sign of things to come.

#22 ·
It is easy to overlook when taking delivery of one's new car. One gets excited, jump in and drive off. Apparently, some dealers don't always inspect and a good salesman would have his own final inspection. I have been fortunate through the years dealing with different reliable dealers with real good service depts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.