GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first bought my 2011'Nox at the beginning of this month, I asked the dealership about the Dexos oil requirement and the salesman and every person I spoke to in the service department even the service manager said they never heard about Dexos. :eek: Also, they said they use normal dino oil in all of they're oil changes except the Corvette (Mobil 1). Other than doing it myself, which I have never done before, what should I do?

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
jamesvl said:
Other than doing it myself, which I have never done before, what should I do?
Somehow, you're going to have to either educate them about Dexos, or else call the regional Chevy Office and explain the situation, and have them explain it to them. They need to be better at doing their homework. Shame on them.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
OK, to save some searching (I'm at work) can someone point to a thread about this Dexos?
We have a 2010 Terrain and I'm confused about what type of oil to put in it.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
gearhead said:
OK, to save some searching (I'm at work) can someone point to a thread about this Dexos?
We have a 2010 Terrain and I'm confused about what type of oil to put in it.
Thanks for any help.

ww.orangelineoil.com/articles1-80/PennzoilandQuakerStateareGMDEXOSApproved

·
Registered
441 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Excellent, thanks for the quick feedback.
I'll remember this post next oil change (prolly around late spring/early summer 2011).
Funny how our Dealer didn't mention this whatsover last oil change a couple of weeks ago even though we have a 2010.
I will surely bring it up to them.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
2010 models dont have the dexos requirement.

Basically, just use any syn oil and youll be good to go.

So sad to see that a dealership isnt up to speed on this. Their GM must really be an idiot.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Amsoil also meets GM's spec on dexos1 in its SAE 5W-30 oil.
GM only licenses dexos1 to SAE 5W-30 oils only noi matter what brand.

But as bballr said, use any quality name brand syn oil and you will be fine.

I can't imagine a GM dealer not knowing anything about dexos1 spec. If they don't know about that, is there something else they don't know about????

I think I would find another dealer who does.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gar187er said:
also dealers may not have gm dexos available so they will use whatever they have till they get it in....dyno, or syn, or blend
Well I know it's fairly new but you would think a dealer would have some info. It came up because I asked what oils were certified because I don't believe there is a list online, and I got pretty scared when I heard they don't even use syn.

G

·
You can still use any regular conventional cheap-ass motor oil out there...the key is...just don't use it while following the oil life monitoring system that will reduce to 0% in about 8000km-10,000km.

If you are changing your oil every 5000km/3000mil regardless of what the oil life monitoring system says then any oil will do just fine.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I sure wouldn't change syn oil at 3K miles, that is throwing money away. You might as well just use dino oil.

G

·
No, I said if you are using a fulling synthetic oil...or that Dexos1 bullsh$t you can follow the oil life monitoring system which will tell you to change your oil somewhere between 8000-12,000km depending on all the factors.

What I'm saying is if you use conventional cheap-ass oil...but still change it at 3k miles (disregarding the oil life monitor system) you are still more than ok and GM doesn't have a leg to stand on and threaten to void your warranty because you refused to be their hostage and use their bullsh$t Dexos1 oil.

Personally I go fully synthetic increasing the time between worrying about oil changes. And for the few extra bucks it's still much better for the engine and gets you better fuel economy.

·
Registered
441 Posts
RNOX said:
I wonder if any "organic" oils are going to get the DEXOS stamp of approval
LOL...after a long night this made me laugh......

·
Registered
303 Posts
My dealer's service manager didn't know anything about the Dexos spec either. I changed to Penzoil Platinum (which I brought to the dealer) at 3500 miles and now I'll follow the computer. However, if the computer tells me to go much beyond 7500 miles of usage I may have second thoughts and change it at or near that point.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
David, don't you want to keep DeMan working? LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts