1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie poster. posting for a friend. Dealer wants to do the following
2019 Chevy Equinox 40K miles
Rear differential oil change
Complete transfer case fluid exchange and cleaning.
complete brake fluid change and cleaning
clean and desludge throttle body
Complete fuel injector cleaning
cabin air filter replacement
cost is over $1000
any recommendations, are these things that need to be done?

·
Registered
470 Posts
This is excessive.

Only services should be tire rotation, oil and filter change, and maybe replace the engine air filter. If the cabin air filter has never previously been done, now would be a good time.

Everything else sounds like unnecessary dealer upsell stuff.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Below is the severe service maintenance schedule. You might want to change the cabin air filter if it hasn't been done.

Reactions: tizan

·
Registered
236 Posts
Time to ask why needed if no direct reason, then put that in their hands. from that point on, go see another dealer.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Probably a list of items that makes them the most profit, I bet half those things they won't even do and just say it's done like the diff oil/ brake fluid.... I really don't see where they came up with over 1000$ seriously less than 100 bucks in fluids.... And why is a regular oil change or tire rotation not on there? Ask what's the cost on just the cabin filter replacement it's very cheap and easy and I'll bet they want 100 bucks.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Sounds like its an AWD?
Ive never had an AWD so wouldnt know about the requirements on AWD parts...

Rear differential oil change---- someone else can fill on
Complete transfer case fluid exchange and cleaning-someone else can fill in on this
complete brake fluid change and cleaning----- I did this on my Equinox recently... @ 100,000. bottle of fluid was $7 at WalMart. (hose, wrench, and a person to pump brake).
clean and desludge throttle body---- I do this myself. Can of cleaner costs about $5- $7. I clean TB at every oil change. The can lasts me for many many cleanings. My can says 2017 (I wrote date on it- and its just about empty). I spray the sides- where the throttle plate moves and crud builds up.
Complete fuel injector cleaning--- Buy bottle of Chevron Techron Concentrate PLUS. the bottle that treats up to 22 gal. Pour it in tank- and fill up. I do this 1 tankful before an oil change. I buy the bottles when they go on sale... buy one get one free. so about $8 for a bottle
cabin air filter replacement- just did this on my Equinox. Super easy to do. Bought on Rockauto- $13.xx. (and Ac delco has a $3.50 rebate at the moment).

Now- there are things that I do to prolong life.
If your friend is planning on keeping it for a LONG time- some preventative maintenance will go a long way.
If- they will get rid of it in a few more yrs-- then.... no need to service
Example- Transmission.
On my 2013- its very easy to drain/refill the transmission. The filter is not user serviceable.
So I buy Dexron VI and do drain and refills. This method drains about half the fluid. But- I do drains to keep the fluid fresh and clean.
the cost of the fluid- is close to the cost of doing a Shop/dealer FLUSH at around 100K.

These have been my drain/refills

Reactions: zbrad

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
to give you a reference on that $1000.

the parts shown below where ordered from Rockauto.
the wheel alignment at Firestone.
then about $75 in mail in rebates.
total roughly $1460.
I did the work myself... im not a mechanic. Im a Do it yourselfer

my 100,000 mile maintenance.

spark plugs
air filter
CV axle
Brake Pads- front and rear
4 oxygen sensors
intake manifold gasket
Side motor mount
control arm (includes new ball joint, front and rear bushing)- left and right
Stabilizer bar end links- left and right
Strut assembly- left and right
Rear shocks- left and right
Stabilizer bar bushing- left and right
Brake Fluid flush
Transmission drain and refill x 2 (ordered 14 qts bottles- used 11)
Power steering Drain/refill (reservoir)
Wheel alignment
Cabin filter.

the CVaxle- not making noise.. but had recently had boot damage from road debris as far as I can tell. Just easier to replace the axle vs the boot.
Front end is set for another 100,000.

Reactions: Crankme69

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Independent shop would be cheaper for those fluid changes. Cabin filter is a DIY job just like a engine air filter.
Definitely change the trans. fluid as my '16 'nox fluid was surprisingly black at 45k miles. Do not skip the trans. service every 40k if you are looking to get high mileage out of it. Since putting in a full synth. trans. fluid it came out 30k miles later looking great compared to the factory stuff.
I also did the transfer case and rear dif. at the same time. Those fluids looked fine coming out at that time but my 'nox is going to be driven to 200k miles so full synth. fluids went in and will always be used and will be monitored.
That severe maint. sched. is your friend for maximum mileage/life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I just did the transmission fluid exchange at the dealership because some people on this forum have been saying it is good to do that at around 45K. It cost me approx $180. And i must say after that the gear shift is very smooth ...like new.

·
Registered
2021 Equinox LS AWD 1.5T
20 Posts
On my 2013- its very easy to drain/refill the transmission
I am considering doing my own drain and fill service. What is your procedure? I am aware of the factory procedure which involves warming the fluid to a certain temperature. However, I think I may have an easier way to do the job. My idea involves draining the fluid when the the transmission is cold. I have done this with my Jeep Cherokee and it works perfectly every time. Basically, I drain the fluid and carefully measure the exact volume, then I replace the exact same volume with new fluid. The new fluid is the same temperature as the old, so there's no inaccuracies due to hot fluid expansion. As long as the fluid level is correct before draining, there's no risk of over/under filling. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like its an AWD?
Ive never had an AWD so wouldnt know about the requirements on AWD parts...

Rear differential oil change---- someone else can fill on
Complete transfer case fluid exchange and cleaning-someone else can fill in on this
complete brake fluid change and cleaning----- I did this on my Equinox recently... @ 100,000. bottle of fluid was $7 at WalMart. (hose, wrench, and a person to pump brake).
clean and desludge throttle body---- I do this myself. Can of cleaner costs about $5- $7. I clean TB at every oil change. The can lasts me for many many cleanings. My can says 2017 (I wrote date on it- and its just about empty). I spray the sides- where the throttle plate moves and crud builds up.
Complete fuel injector cleaning--- Buy bottle of Chevron Techron Concentrate PLUS. the bottle that treats up to 22 gal. Pour it in tank- and fill up. I do this 1 tankful before an oil change. I buy the bottles when they go on sale... buy one get one free. so about $8 for a bottle
cabin air filter replacement- just did this on my Equinox. Super easy to do. Bought on Rockauto- $13.xx. (and Ac delco has a $3.50 rebate at the moment).

Now- there are things that I do to prolong life.
If your friend is planning on keeping it for a LONG time- some preventative maintenance will go a long way.
If- they will get rid of it in a few more yrs-- then.... no need to service
Example- Transmission.
On my 2013- its very easy to drain/refill the transmission. The filter is not user serviceable.
So I buy Dexron VI and do drain and refills. This method drains about half the fluid. But- I do drains to keep the fluid fresh and clean.
the cost of the fluid- is close to the cost of doing a Shop/dealer FLUSH at around 100K.

These have been my drain/refills

It is an AWD. does that make a difference?

·
Registered
128 Posts
It is an AWD. does that make a difference?
Look in your owner's manual. Anything other than the manufacturer's maintenance schedule should be questioned. If they say you're on the "Severe" schedule find out why. Read the definition in your owner's manual and if you disagree, disagree. Since none of this work is covered by warranty you get to decide what gets done and what does not.

You're still covered by the 60,000 mile powertrain warranty so, personally speaking, I would do everything powertrain-related on the manufacturer's schedule.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am personally in favor of brake fluid flushes every ~two years. Why? The stuff absorbs moisture (yeah, I know it's a semi-sealed system) and heat degrades it. $100 every other year is cheap insurance for a critical safety system.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Newbie poster. posting for a friend. Dealer wants to do the following
2019 Chevy Equinox 40K miles
Rear differential oil change
Complete transfer case fluid exchange and cleaning.
complete brake fluid change and cleaning
clean and desludge throttle body
Complete fuel injector cleaning
cabin air filter replacement
cost is over $1000
any recommendations, are these things that need to be done?
Two questions. Keeping the car long term? Change all fluids front to rear at 50k. Getting rid of the car at 100k or sooner? It’ll last 75k or longer with no maintenance. Drive it like you stole it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts