GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone with mechanical experience know what the car actually needs besides an oil change and tire rotation? I can do those myself and top off fluids. I know when the brakes annd tires are worn also. Any help will be appeciated since they want to charge between 150 to 450 to do who knows what!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
isiciliani said:
Does anyone with mechanical experience know what the car actually needs besides an oil change and tire rotation? I can do those myself and top off fluids. I know when the brakes annd tires are worn also. Any help will be appeciated since they want to charge between 150 to 450 to do who knows what!
Would help to know how many miles are on vehicle.......After awhile it does need service other than a oil change. Your owners manual is a good source to find out the service your vehicle needs

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yep, the owner's manual is a good place to start. Most dealerships also tend to have information about 'recommended service' at the various mileage intervals.

Most of it's just inspections and fluid top-ups though, nothing you can't do yourself, most of the time. I'll usually just follow the basic recommendations in the manual, which in most cars usually equates to a significant service every 50,000KMs (35K miles). And even then, it's usually just a tranny fluid flush, tops ups, and inspections. Usually around 80-100K is when some of the belts and spark plugs tend to get replaced.

For my past few cars, it's usually been about $250 (at 50,000Ks) and $425 at 100,000Ks. More times that not, it's paid off because they catch things early.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I would simply follow the maintenance requirements reflected in the owners manual. This will ensure your warranty stays in effect and should allow many miles of trouble free service for your Terrain.

·
Registered
698 Posts
RSchleder said:
I would simply follow the maintenance requirements reflected in the owners manual.
That's all fine and dandy, but when the maintenance schedule calls for "Steering and suspension inspection - Visual inspection for damaged, loose, or missing parts or signs of wear" and "Engine cooling system inspection - Visual inspection of hoses, pipes, fittings, and clamps and replacement, if needed" it's kind of ambiguous whether or not the vehicle owner is qualified to perform these inspections.

I'll personally be damned if I'm going to pay someone to visually inspect my suspension or cooling system when I have two optical sensors of my own that are free to use.

Having said that, if some issue did arise, could the dealer deny warranty work on the basis that these inspections weren't done by a qualified technician?

This is my impression of what the OP was asking. Why pay $100 per hour for a technician to change the cabin filter and check the coolant level? Unless of course, you want to pay for that...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts