GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Registered
$90!! That would be another reason I do my own oil changes. I use AC delco full synthetic and AC delco filter so I'm about $40 (CAD) in for a change and 30 minutes of my time.
I do my oil changes for $17-$20. LOL! I get the 5Qt jugs of Pennzoil Platinum on the rebate special for about $11 each, then a SuperTech spin-on filter for $3. Or, when no rebates, it's SuperTech 5W-30 Full Synthetic for $14. Then I just pour in a 1 Qt Conventional 5W30 ($3) to make it 6 Qts. So it's a 5/6 full-synthetic, 1/6 dino "blended" oil. Good enough!

Registered
LOL, $40 CAD is about $5 USD...馃榿

At least it feels like $5 US

Registered
We got one free oil change when we bought our 19' terrain denali.. So I took it in just shy of 3,000mi. last Oct and they did the service.. I got home, let the car cool down completely and checked to the dipstick.. It was just barely shy of the full line.. I was happy and assumed they'd done a good job.. I also climbed under the car to check to see if they actually gave me a new oil filter (I marked the old one with an X scratched into it).... yep, new filter... I just got done doing the second oil change on the vehcile. I didn't take it in because I believe the dealer uses a bulk synthetic blend and I want full synthetic. The OLM was down to 24% after just 2,400mi. but 9 mo. time had elapsed.. If they OLM counts calendar time this would make sense.. I put the car up on my ramps, climb under it to see what size socket I will need for the drain plug.. To my surprise, I find a very marred 15mm drain plug, as if the tech who did the 1st oil change had used and adjustable wrench. I then see I can't get my 15mm socket on the bolt w/o first removing a cross member aft of the drain plug... I believe the tech didn't want to be bothered to remove the cross member so he used either an open end wrench or an adjustable or maybe an SAE wrench instead of metric. The drain plug was extremely tight, I don't know what the torque on it is suppossed to be but the guy went gorilla on it. I was fortunate to get it loose due to the fubared plug.. Next was the oil filter which was also way over tight.. I couldn't believe a tech would do that. I'm sure if I complain they will accuse ME of buggering up the drain plug and then probably tell me the oil filter is meant to be over tightened as well as the drain plug.. This the first new car we've bought from this dealer and it's a bummer because they are close to home and convenient.. Oh well, same old story with dealers I guess, at least this one..
I took my 2020 Terrain 1.5 in for my free oil change, my car calls for 0w20 oil, according to the bill when I picked up my car said 5w30 was used. Also it was over filled also. Call the shop Forman he told me they used the correct oil the computer was wrong.

Registered
I took my 2020 Terrain 1.5 in for my free oil change, my car calls for 0w20 oil, according to the bill when I picked up my car said 5w30 was used. Also it was over filled also. Call the shop Forman he told me they used the correct oil the computer was wrong.
And how would you ever know

Registered
I had the same thing happen with my 18, and they gave me the same answer.

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
The "computer" is wrong, the owners manual is wrong, GM is wrong but your dealer is right... LOL...I would be calling GM customer care if they put the wrong weight oil in my 2.0 but yeah, how would I know? unless it was itemized on the bill

Registered
And how would you ever know
you could drain off out some oil and compare the viscosity to a sample of 0W20 oil assuming you haven't put many miles on it since the oil change. I would think a simple test of chilling the oil and then pouring down an inclined surface at the same time will show if the oil in the engine is indeed 0W20. You may not even need to chill the oil. I know I can see the difference even at room temperature when pouring oil during an oil change. The Nox takes 0W20, my Sonic takes 5W30 and I see the difference just pouring it out of the bottle. OW20 flows like water compared to the thicker 5W30.

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
I have an old air cooled Japanese motorcycle with 76,000mi. which I now use 20w50 in.. Compared to 5w30 the motorcycle oil flows like molasses.

Registered
Bought a used 2019 Equinox in Feb. Service record from the dealer indicated they had done an oil change before selling the Nox....shop record had coding for the oil...code was for 5w30....Nox uses 0w20....I ended up changing it myself using 0w20. I read on some other Forum that it might be that any oil change might be coded on the computer with that GM part number which is for 5w30. It might be just a standard line item code used for all oil changes...who knows!

Registered
But isn't there sometimes a secondary (heavier) oil weight specified that you can use (at least during the warmer months of the year)? I know my '02 Impala lists 5w30 as the primary oil and 10w30 as the secondary oil. I've always used 10w30 in the summer months and 5w30 in the Fall and Winter. But that's not a DI engine.

Not sure if my 2011 Nox has a secondary oil listed. I've always used 5w30 year-round in that one, but maybe I could go thinner in the Fall and Winter.

What I'm getting at is ... maybe it doesn't really matter if you use 5w30 (heavier oil) during the warmer months on an engine primarily spec'd for 0w20?

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
I got a lot of soot on the chrome exhaust tips after the dealer oil change.. Now that I changed it and used full synthetic dexos1 gen 2 valvoline, no more soot. I've only driven the car a few hundred miles since I changed it so maybe the soot will come back, I don't know... Not sure about the terrain engines but yeah, I've had cars that say you can use a heavier weight oil in hot climates so if they did use 5w30 in the 1.5 liter it's probably fine

Registered
But isn't there sometimes a secondary (heavier) oil weight specified that you can use (at least during the warmer months of the year)?
These days on modern engines I usually just see specification for one oil grade for all conditions. For the Nox with the 1.5T it only specifies 0W20 Dexos 1 Gen 2. Oddly enough, the 2.0T specifies 5W30 except for very cold climates (less than -20 F) it suggests 0W30 for easier starting.

Registered
My dealer did my first free oil change, put in wrong oil in my 2020 terrain 1.5, book calls for 0w20w dealer put in 5w30 then told me that they put in the right oil the computer just printed it wrong. A/c quit they couldn't find a leak filled it told me it was okay. 10 days later it was blowing warm air. This time they replaced the condenser. I think these dealers Rob the manufacturer...

Registered
I think these dealers Rob the manufacturer...
Yeah ... and then the manufacturer turns around and charges it back to the next set of new car buyers. It's a lot of wasted time and money, and the "aggravation factor" for the consumer is through the roof!

Really need to get rid of the "middle-man" dealerships all together. Replace them with Regional "Mega" Sales Centers owned by the manufacturers. Once they transition to Electric Vehicles, the need for armies of Servicing people will drop like a rock anyway. You can order your new car and they'll ship it directly to you from the Regional Sales Center (or you can pick it up yourself). Independent mechanics can be certified to perform local servicing on the rare occasions that it would be necessary ... just like appliance technicians do now.

Registered
If electric vehicles turn out to be anything like today's appliances . . . I would expect them to have plenty of problems no matter what and especially when they get to be 5 or more years old.
Like any other product, car makers will cut corners till finally even an electric vehicle is so cheaply made and assembled that problems will be many and common.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts