GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

dealer for trans fluid change

95K views 70 replies 24 participants last post by  christopherlompoc 
#1 ·
I have 75k miles on my 2012 equinox and going to take it to the dealer for the transmission fluid to be changed for the first time, i think i am over. Just wondering if anyone else had this done, and how much did they charge. Also should i get the AWD transfer case fluid changed too?

#3 ·
You may not be over, the book says change it at 50,000 for severe driving conditions (towing, lots of hills, deliver/cab driving). If it's just normal driving conditions you can go 100,000. However I decide to be proactive and changed it out at 60,000. I checked with my dealer and they wanted $210.00. I found a transmission shop in town that would of done it for $90.00. But after reading the forums I found out that GM only requires a drain and fill so I ended up doing it my self for $50.00 in fluid and parts. It was easier than changing the oil.

The book also does say you should probably change the transfer case fluid around the time you do the tranny.

#4 ·
Daedra said:
You may not be over, the book says change it at 50,000 for severe driving conditions (towing, lots of hills, deliver/cab driving). If it's just normal driving conditions you can go 100,000. However I decide to be proactive and changed it out at 60,000. I checked with my dealer and they wanted $210.00. I found a transmission shop in town that would of done it for $90.00. But after reading the forums I found out that GM only requires a drain and fill so I ended up doing it my self for $50.00 in fluid and parts. It was easier than changing the oil.

The book also does say you should probably change the transfer case fluid around the time you do the tranny.
just remember the trans holds about 11 qts.
when you drain- only about 5 qts comes out. (the rest is in the trans cooler, torque converter, lines).
thats why many of us drain, and drive for a week. then drain again. Just to get more of the fluid out.

Now if you do drain/refills early on with lower mileage-- you can get by doing just 1 drain/refill--- and simply keeping the fluid fresh and clean.

#5 ·
it is tempting to it myself. just do not want to mess it up. i am sending it to the dealer. i need a oil change anyway and they give free oil changes.

really annoying how the 4cyl does not have a dipstick. it was such an easy job on my 3.6 impala, drain, fill, check lol

#6 ·
I have a dipstick--

(from the manual).
It is not necessary to check the
transmission fluid level.
A transmission fluid leak is the only
reason for fluid loss.

Since I have no loss (dripping on my driveway)-or fluid splattered under the chassis---- I dont really do the elaborate dipstick check on the trans.

I drain..... and simply refill with 5.3 qts... as per the manual.

If I had the model without the dipstick... id simply refill it....

When I drain trans and engine oil, I always refill the bottles with the used fluid--- and I get a good idea of how much fluid comes out.
Trans drains 5.x qts....

#7 ·
Chas said:
I agree, I prefer having a dipstick. However, filling up the 4 cylinder seems so easy. Just pull the top plug out, then keep pouring the fluid until it seeps out the top hole. No need to keep re-measuring, re-filling, etc with the dipstick.
I prefer the dipstick cuz it means I won't need to crawl underneath is all, haha. :cheers:

that is the first time i heard about the top plug on the equinox trans! i am familiar with that system but nowhere did i read that such a thing existed on the equinox trans!!! everwhere i read about the equinox trans just says go to the dealer lol

#8 ·
gopedxr7 said:
that is the first time i heard about the top plug on the equinox trans! i am familiar with that system but nowhere did i read that such a thing existed on the equinox trans!!! everwhere i read about the equinox trans just says go to the dealer lol

" Just pull the top plug out, then keep pouring the fluid until it seeps out the top hole."
[/color]

Not clear which "plug".

The Equinox 4 cylinder models use the same 6T40/45 transmissions as in the link below.

There is a top "cap/hole" . . . but I do not think you want to fill it till it starts coming out of that orifice.

LINK: - -[/color] http://rpm.cielus.net/wp/index.php/2015/10/20/transmission-fluid-level-check-on-6t35-6t40-6t45-cruze-sonic-astra/

There is a threaded inspection bolt/plug on the lower side of the transmission under the car and usually you want to fill till the fluid is just level with that bolt/plug removed and on a very level surface. The fluid should barely start to flow out of the bolt hole. See the yellow circle in the supplied picture below.

Better be sure on this one because over filling can be just as bad and running empty after a long time.

:cheers: - - -- - - - - :cheers:

LINK TO Video ON HOW TO FILL and CHECK Trans Fluid LEVEL: = = [/color]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEBqBMnwebs

Attachments

Reactions: bangreno
#9 ·
rbarrios said:
just remember the trans holds about 11 qts.
when you drain- only about 5 qts comes out. (the rest is in the trans cooler, torque converter, lines).
thats why many of us drain, and drive for a week. then drain again. Just to get more of the fluid out.

Now if you do drain/refills early on with lower mileage-- you can get by doing just 1 drain/refill--- and simply keeping the fluid fresh and clean.
Yes I drained and filed twice for that reason. Mathematically that should get around 75% of the old fluid out. Which was good enough for me.

#10 ·
I can't see the original post anymore, but I thought that plug on the side of the trans was what the poster meant. GM has skipped on the dip stick on several models, and it was this way on my brother and sister's Alero and Grand AM. You had to remove that plug from the side of the trans, and fill till it started to run out.

Since I can't see the conversation any more, I really want to make sure we have this correct for all the 4 cyl owners.

#11 ·
yeah i have been given mis information on forums before, i was going to check the top plug theory before doing anything haha.

good to know it can be done, but since its going to the dealer anyway, i think i will have them deal with it.

thanks for everyone for the help!

#12 ·
The information posted was ambiguous and unclear.

If you watch the YouTube video I posted earlier, the transmission fluid is filled through the "Top Plug" (BLUE in Diagram)[/color] or cap on top of the transmission. . . . not the side mounted viewing bolt/port (Yellow Circle [/color]in Diagram). I corrected what was not made clear and confusing to any reader. If the side mounted bolt was meant, it is threaded and can not be "pulled out". It must be unscrewed. So that also is unclear.

The fluid level is checked [/color]via a lower side mounted threaded bolt[/color] that is removed to inspect the fluid level and allow filling from the "Top" plug or cap[/color] (Blue[/color] in Diagram).
The fluid is filled via the top cap in the video. . .. not [/color]the side mounted level inspection port (Yellow Circle [/color]in Diagram).

Nevertheless, when providing information such as this; a clear description and/or a diagram and exact location is wise for accurate communication of the facts. Misinformation can be costly to future readers without clarity of what is meant.

Here are the previous diagram and supplied LINKS again. . . :

LINK: - -[/color] http://rpm.cielus.net/wp/index.php/2015/10/20/transmission-fluid-level-check-on-6t35-6t40-6t45-cruze-sonic-astra/

LINK: - - -[/color]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEBqBMnwebs

Attachments

#13 ·
Buggsy said:
I can't see the original post anymore, but I thought that plug on the side of the trans was what the poster meant. GM has skipped on the dip stick on several models, and it was this way on my brother and sister's Alero and Grand AM. You had to remove that plug from the side of the trans, and fill till it started to run out.

Since I can't see the conversation any more, I really want to make sure we have this correct for all the 4 cyl owners.
It is different now. The fluid is filled from a top mounted plastic cap as shown in the YouTube video. This is easier than trying to repeatedly put a filling tube in and out of the side bolt covered fluid level viewing port.
You can fill and check at the same time this way.

#15 ·
Buggsy said:
No, the Alero and Grand Am were the same thing as the video shows. They had a top fill cap, no dip stick, and a side port to check level on.

Thanks though for clarifying it.
Ok. . depending on the year, it might be different. Our Saturn Aura similar, but not exactly the same.

Our 2009 Saturn Aura had a black plastic plug/vent on top of the 6T40. It did not even really unscrew. It had to be partially rotated and pulled or unsnapped off. It had plastic tabs on the inside of the cap. Then you could use it to fill the transmission with fluid. I think later they made it into a threaded removable cap. Either that, or someone replaced the cap on our Aura with an aftermarket part.

Either way, you don't need to fill it via the lower bolt covered side fluid level viewing port.

#16 ·
Not good fellers.

To clean up this thread, I would need to delete several posts or portions of over- sensitive comments in a discussion that coulda/shoulda been feud free. I certainly don't look forward to a need of doing that in future threads.

The key is to refrain from making a reaction in an opposing comment 'personal'. The 'you did this. then I did that'...only causes to fuel the fire. A simple statement of " I disagree with post #(whatever), and here is my explanation of why" should be sufficient.

No need , whatsoever, for name calling, insults or continually lecturing each other.
Members can choose which posts seem more relevant or correct without being subjected to those intent on belittling one another really only making the stronger point of personal dislike.

I suggest closely re-reading what you have typed regarding each other's posts, then deleting the bitter hostility BS, or if not, the resulting effort on my part may not be completely satisfactory to either participant.

Iceman

#17 ·
To be the end all, see the attached documents from GM. These documents should be permanent so no one gets misinformation.

Attachments

Reactions: JJones
#18 ·
#19 ·
HFV6 said:
To be the end all, see the attached documents from GM. These documents should be permanent so no one gets misinformation.
thanks for the information! next time the fluid needs to be changed i will use that. already have the car at the dealer. but had i had that info, i would have done it myself.

my sisters 2008 Saturn Vue 4cyl 2wd also needs a fluid change. if you can, can you get the info for that trans as well? also a non-dipstick trans and i want to be sure which plug is which before i take any off

thanks again!

#20 ·
Daedra said:

Daedra which book are you talking about? The owners manual?

My 2010 says flush at 50-100k.

#21 ·
webdawg said:
Daedra which book are you talking about? The owners manual?

My 2010 says flush at 50-100k.
With the discussion of 50K to 100K miles for a trans fluid change I would like to say don't wait that long.
Look at JayTee's youtube video posted above, in Reply #11.
At the 4 min. mark you can see the new fluid going in and black slime coming out of the oil level plug hole.
That was hard for me to watch, that tranny is living on borrowed time.

#22 ·
rednox301 said:
With the discussion of 50K to 100K miles for a trans fluid change I would like to say don't wait that long.
I drained/refilled the fluid in my 2010 Traverse at

this is the factory fluid on the right (50,464 miles) ... and new fluid on the left.

this is another members fluid with 40,400 miles.

this is my Equinox's trans fluid at 38,724

Trans and engine oil drain at the same time.

#23 ·
This is what the manual says:

There is a special procedure for
checking and changing the
transmission fluid. Because this
procedure is difficult, this should be
done at your dealer service
department. Contact your dealer for
additional information or the
procedure can be found in the
service manual. To purchase a
service manual, see Service
Publications Ordering Information on
page 12‐12.

Change the fluid and filter at the
intervals listed in Scheduled
Maintenance on page 10‐2, and be
sure to use the fluid listed in
Recommended Fluids and
Lubricants on page 10‐7.

So on page 10-2 the @ 50,000 miles:

Automatic transmission fluid
change (severe service) for
vehicles mainly driven in heavy
city traffic in hot weather, in hilly
or mountainous terrain, when
frequently towing a trailer,
or used for taxi, police,
or delivery service. See
Automatic Transmission

What the hell is a Severe Service?

Then on 10-2 @ 100,000 miles:

Automatic transmission fluid
change (normal service). See
Automatic Transmission Fluid on
page 9‐12.

What the hell is a normal Service?

Then on 9-12:

There is a special procedure for
checking and changing the
transmission fluid. Because this
procedure is difficult, this should be
done at your dealer service
department. Contact your dealer for
additional information or the
procedure can be found in the
service manual. To purchase a
service manual, see Service
Publications

Special Procedure?

Are they talking about the drain and filter swap or a transmission flush? I saw the 'procedure' that was posted from the service manual earlier.

#24 ·
Some of you may be wondering why the drain/refills?

These transmissions do not have a user serviceable filter.

In the past- you drained oil and removed the pan- and replaced the trans filter.........

Not on these.
they come with a 'lifetime' filter.... that is replaced when the trans is removed/repaired and split open.

The purpose of changing the fluid is to help keep the fluid clean and fresh.

#25 ·
rbarrios said:
Some of you may be wondering why the drain/refills?

These transmissions do not have a user serviceable filter.

In the past- you drained oil and removed the pan- and replaced the trans filter.........

Not on these.
they come with a 'lifetime' filter.... that is replaced when the trans is removed/repaired and split open.

The purpose of changing the fluid is to help keep the fluid clean and fresh.
Right and what is so "difficult" about draining the fluid and adding more (I am referring to what they say in the manual). By normal and severe do they mean do it at 50,000 because it is severe? It almost sounds like they refer to two different procedures.

I thought they had two filters one that was serviceable and one that was not?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.