GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone else is having this problem. The dealer is telling me the battery has a short in it. The car is slow to start in the AM and after sitting for a couple days won't start at all. I paid them $100 for a software update and was told that would take care of the problem. Well two months later, still having the problem and now being told I need to purchase a new battery. I have had the car since November 2009, 47K miles on it, 4cyl. My feeling is this battery should last for several years. Love the gas mileage but wishing I still had my Caravan!!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I would expect it to last a few years also, just not the case sometimes, some are bad.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Your battery should have warrenty left. I had the battery go bad on a three year old CTS and it had a six year warrenty. List price was 122.00 and I paid 58.00

·
Registered
481 Posts
LovesRed said:
Wondering if anyone else is having this problem. The dealer is telling me the battery has a short in it. The car is slow to start in the AM and after sitting for a couple days won't start at all. I paid them $100 for a software update and was told that would take care of the problem. Well two months later, still having the problem and now being told I need to purchase a new battery. I have had the car since November 2009, 47K miles on it, 4cyl. My feeling is this battery should last for several years. Love the gas mileage but wishing I still had my Caravan!!
Ideally it should last for years but like any factory made part a battery can go bad in a week. It rare but it happens. They should pro rate the battery and you pay the difference for a new one. Good luck.

I'll also assume that they checked the charging system to make sure it's charging the battery properly.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
LovesRed said:
Keep me updated in regards to your progress at the dealer. Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions in the meantime. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
As a rule of thumb--- personnally---- I change out the FACTORY battery at the 3-4 yr mark.
Does seem yours was about 2.X years and may be prorated.
In those 47,000 miles- have you done ALOT of starts per day... or just the typical morning and evening....
Just saying- maybe you start the car 5-10 times a day?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very disappointed in this dealership....was told they could not do anything else (testing) until I purchased a new battery. $220!! I took the car home, had my boyfriend check the battery and they didn't even tighten everything down. Didn't offer to pro-rate at all! Went to Sears and purchased a battery for $140!

I start the car a max of 4 times during the school year 3-4 times a week. I do drive approximately 90 miles a day, 5-6 days a week.

·
Registered
56 Posts
What were the times/miles on your "bumper-to-bumper" warranty? I would think the battery would still be covered if you're still in those ranges...

·
Registered
10 Posts
The equinox's had an issue with the rear wiper not returning because the motor gets weak, then kills the battery. It happened to ours.

They tried to blame the GPS and wasted time till it was off warranty.

·
Registered
338 Posts
1981804 said:
Your battery should have warrenty left. I had the battery go bad on a three year old CTS and it had a six year warrenty. List price was 122.00 and I paid 58.00
Factory batterys are 3/36 whichever occurs first. Purchased batterys can be 5 or 6 years with a proration.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had a battery go bad at an age that I thought it should still be good. The repair shop said they checked it and it needed a new batter. I was sure they were trying to sell me something that I did not need. I had tested it with a volt meter and it showed good. It would start the car just fine after a chasrge, but in a day or two it would be totally dead. Then it just plain went dead and woould not even take a charge. New battery and 45,000 miles laster all was well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts