GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been noticing that when I'm driving that the dash lights (along with radio) will suddenly brighten up.
Are they controlled by some light sensor ?
It's not like I am going through a tunnel or something.
Is there a way to 'make' them bright all the time ?

Polar Bear

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Yes they are on a sensor..I notice it most when stopped under an overpass, or coming out of the garage. I don't know of a way to keep them the same all the time however..

·
Registered
949 Posts
My dealer told me that the light sensor was that little black dome thing on the dash by the windshield. And as far as I am aware, you might try adjusting the headlight dial that sticks out of your steering column - you can turn off the "AUTO" headlights, and turn your headlights on or off by doing that, so I would assume that the dash lights would turn on/off along with that. I don't really feel like going out to my car to verify, but you should try it out, makes sense to me that it would work that way - but then again, it wouldn't be the first time that "what makes sense" isn't what is done...

·
Registered
161 Posts
PolarBear said:
I have been noticing that when I'm driving that the dash lights (along with radio) will suddenly brighten up.
Are they controlled by some light sensor ?
It's not like I am going through a tunnel or something.
Is there a way to 'make' them bright all the time ?

Polar Bear
Do the brighten when it is bright out and dim when it is dim outside? That is way mine work.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Terrain2011 said:
Do the brighten when it is bright out and dim when it is dim outside? That is way mine work.
I drove under a viaduct when it was sunny - both the dash and head lights both reacted for the two seconds it took do drive under it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I see this question every year on various forum and various vehicles as the strength of the sun wanes in fall/winter months. When in auto mode the sensor thinks its dark enough to turn on regular lights instead of DRL's, and that includes dash/radio lights. Kind of annoying if you generaly keep the dash lights dimmed at night (can't see them when it switchs in dim daylight).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts