GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yep mine broke also, i looked at it...thanks for instructions on how to take apart. plastic snapped on one side...pretty flimsy...bad design...i think i will call ahead when i need oil change to make sure part is ordered and in stock. back of part shows "ip center bin w/speaker" p/n 20974767 made 1/22/2011...

tricia/chevy and gmc customer service people...you know what would be nice on this one would be if you could research and find out and honestly report if new part is same piece of crap or an improved piece

·
Registered
492 Posts
My dash bin was broken before I picked up the vehicle.

Out of curiosity I pulled out the two screws and took a look. I was totally unimpressed with the design. A fairly hefty spring on each side with an unreinforced plastic tab below to take all the pressure. That's a guaranteed failure, sooner or later!

That kinda crap makes me mad! Chevy produced such a well made vehicle then stick in an obviously cheap part. That what gives American (OK, Canadian / American) cars a bad reputation for quality.

You may stretch the life of the part if you open and cloose the door very carefully.

·
Registered
949 Posts
spook said:
My dash bin was broken before I picked up the vehicle.
That's a let down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Took several weeks to get "new dash lid". Works exactly like the old dash lid. Does not come up on it's own, still have to put pressure on it to come up. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mine broke today. I was driving (on a smooth road) 80 deg outside and i head a loud pop. Opened the compartment and sure nuff. Opened it up and saw plastic broken. Man im gonna lay it into the svc guy when i call him. Maybe i should take it upon myself to make a bracket on the replacement one.

·
Registered
193 Posts
pacman said:
Mine broke today. I was driving (on a smooth road) 80 deg outside and i head a loud pop. Opened the compartment and sure nuff. Opened it up and saw plastic broken. Man im gonna lay it into the svc guy when i call him. Maybe i should take it upon myself to make a bracket on the replacement one.
Yeah, make sure you lay into that svc guy when you call him. After all, he did design, build, buy and break it. ::)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I did not lay it into the svc guy cause of the design. But because he blows off everything i bring it in for. Like my bumper. They say they cant fix cause it will still stick out on the corner the same way. After getting a closer look at it "myself" i noticed the plastic fastener is broken which requires them to replace the whole bumper. So keep your comments to yourself!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Pacman - definitely look into another dealer for service if that's how you're being treated.

And please understand that without knowing your background story, people are likely to frown upon your "laying it onto the svc guy"

·
Registered
162 Posts
I got my new one installed. Took about a week to get the new part. Seems to work just like new. I use it a few times everyday (sunglasses storage), so it gets heavy use. Let's see if it lasts!

This feature I actually really like. Looks like with the 2012 1LT/2LT/LTZ, the new radio eliminates this storage area. I'm kind of glad I have a 2011 with this extra area. At least that's what I tell myself because I missed the new radio screen... :sosad:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Unfortunately Tricia responded to my private message that i told her i would report her response to the forum with: Scott, The only way to know for sure is to contact your dealer to determine if the same parts were used. Please keep me posted. Tricia, GM Customer Service.

I am disappointed with this bs as we gave her the part# so she could confirm if there was a superseded part or not. she choose to only tell me to contact dealer...that sucks!

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
scottb said:
Unfortunately Tricia responded to my private message that i told her i would report her response to the forum with: Scott, The only way to know for sure is to contact your dealer to determine if the same parts were used. Please keep me posted. Tricia, GM Customer Service.

I am disappointed with this bs as we gave her the part# so she could confirm if there was a superseded part or not. she choose to only tell me to contact dealer...that sucks!
Scott,

I am willing to assist you with your concern. To get the information that you are seeking for your particular case, the dealer may be your best resource being that they know what parts were removed and replaced as well as have access to the work order. I have responded to your last private message and look forward to continuing to work with you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
29 Posts
NancyR said:
I have a 2011 Terrain and the same thing happened just last week.
I have a 2012 Terrain and there's no Dash center storage area, is this an option or did they get rid of the dash storage area for the 2012 models?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Dark Age53 said:
I have a 2012 Terrain and there's no Dash center storage area, is this an option or did they get rid of the dash storage area for the 2012 models?
I believe someone on the forums said that the 2012 models don't have the storage area due to a dash design change.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don B said:
I believe someone on the forums said that the 2012 models don't have the storage area due to a dash design change.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The dashboard has been changed. It has a screen in place of essentially the entire standard radio with a shade where the storage area would be. It's the new infotainment system.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Tricia pm'd me the following: I was able to do some research regarding your concern and it appears that a whole different part was used to fix the concern. I do show that 20974767 was replaced by 22752751 (IMPROVEMENT TO ELIMINATE NOISE OF HINGE STOP). Nothing was mentioned about latch breakage however. I hope this helps.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My Dash Compartment was replaced yesterday with part number 22752751, day two still working as designed.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts