GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else had the spring or whatever opens the lid on the storage compartment in the center of the dash break? I probably haven't opened it a dozen times since I've had the Equinox and this morning it quit opening on it's own. I hate anything to go wrong that involves taking the dash apart. I talked to the service manager by phone this morning and all of the mechanics had left for the day, so he's going to check on Monday and see whats involved to repair it. I told him if it means tearing the dash apart I'll maybe just live with it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The entire compartment (lid and base) is held by two 7mm hex head
trim screws.

Remove the rubber mat and the two screws are exposed. Remove the two screws
and the entire assembly comes out.

hardly a big deal...

·
Registered
137 Posts
MOCHANOX good to see you back here.....I've missed you posts. :thumb:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MOCHANOX said:
The entire compartment (lid and base) is held by two 7mm hex head
trim screws.

Remove the rubber mat and the two screws are exposed. Remove the two screws
and the entire assembly comes out.

hardly a big deal...
Thanks for the answer. As far as the not a big deal remark, it might not be a big deal to you because you already know, but when it comes to dashboards and engineers I don't trust anything to not be a big deal. In some of the older cars I've had you had to take half the dash apart to change a light bulb.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I phrased my answer specifically to reassure you regarding your concerns...
not to belittle them.

Even as a layperson, you yourself should take the 5 minutes (or less) to remove and reinstall
this compartment so you are completely aware of what is involved and how the replacement will be done.

Understanding your concern amplifies the importance of your self education of the procedure
which in turn will give you confidence in the upcoming repair.

Best wishes

Snowgov said:
MOCHANOX good to see you back here.....I've missed you posts. :thumb:
I am humbled

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
Mocha -

Sorry for the thread Hijack, but did you get your fogs operating ?

Rit

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MOCHANOX said:
I phrased my answer specifically to reassure you regarding your concerns...
not to belittle them.

Even as a layperson, you yourself should take the 5 minutes (or less) to remove and reinstall
this compartment so you are completely aware of what is involved and how the replacement will be done.

Understanding your concern amplifies the importance of your self education of the procedure
which in turn will give you confidence in the upcoming repair.

Best wishes

I probably should have chose my words more carefully, I didn't take it as you belittling my concerns. I didn't look into it any farther because of the vehicle being under warranty. If it wasn't under warranty I would have dug into it and figured out how it came apart. I guess we just think a little differently.

I am humbled

·
Registered
978 Posts
Don B said:
I probably should have chose my words more carefully, I didn't take it as you belittling my concerns. I didn't look into it any farther because of the vehicle being under warranty. If it wasn't under warranty I would have dug into it and figured out how it came apart. I guess we just think a little differently.
Peace brother...misinterpretations are corrected via communication :thumb: :thumb: :cheers:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Mine is also broken. Does not spring up when opening it. I unscrewed it like Mochanox said, and inspected it. The small plastic tabs that hold part of the two springs on snapped, so that the spring has nothing to push against. Looks like a pretty bad design. I can see this failing again after I have it replaced.

2011 Nox 1LT. ~2 months old.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 2011 Terrain and the same thing happened just last week. Really annoying because that is where I keep my garage door opener.

I loved this car so much when I got it and now I am really getting annoyed. First, the tranny is acting weird and now this. Wondering what else is going to fall apart on it. Only 6 months old! Getting to be a $30,000 piece of junk, and there is no way I am going to be able to to trade it soon. Say what you want about Chrysler, but I had 4 minivans (3 Caravans and 1 T&C) and none of them had problems like this thing where no one could fix it (the tranny). Just wanted something different this time. Should have bought the Santa Fe, I guess. :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
NancyR said:
I have a 2011 Terrain and the same thing happened just last week. Really annoying because that is where I keep my garage door opener.

I loved this car so much when I got it and now I am really getting annoyed. First, the tranny is acting weird and now this. Wondering what else is going to fall apart on it. Only 6 months old! Getting to be a $30,000 piece of junk, and there is no way I am going to be able to to trade it soon. Say what you want about Chrysler, but I had 4 minivans (3 Caravans and 1 T&C) and none of them had problems like this thing where no one could fix it (the tranny). Just wanted something different this time. Should have bought the Santa Fe, I guess. :(
Well dont buy the dodge caliber....stay as far away from that pos as possible..speaking from experience....

·
Registered
19 Posts
NancyR said:

you and me both. Yes my dash center storage does not work now, my veh bogs if you need to step on the gas quickly or let off quickly.
eng ticking noise (like a mini diesle),noise in speaker with radio on or off. Creeking noise every time you go to stop and go. Dealer can't fix
any of it, except for the storage compartment, i still have to take it in for that. The list can still go on. I'm very concerned too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The "diesel tick" is present in all direct-injection engines because of their design and is perfectly normal. As long as you don't hear it while driving/in the cabin with the doors closed everything is working normally.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
mwmacintosh said:
you and me both. Yes my dash center storage does not work now, my veh bogs if you need to step on the gas quickly or let off quickly.
eng ticking noise (like a mini diesle),noise in speaker with radio on or off. Creeking noise every time you go to stop and go. Dealer can't fix
any of it, except for the storage compartment, i still have to take it in for that. The list can still go on. I'm very concerned too.
I would be happy to look into this for you as well. In order to do so, I will need some more specific information from you. If you could please send me your full name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, current mileage, and dealer name via private message, I will be able to take further steps. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
949 Posts
mwmacintosh said:
The ticking noise is normal, but there is a cover that can be applied to the fuel pump that may help quiet the noise some. It won't go away completely though, it is a normal noise, but it might help quiet it down some for you. Don't remember the bulletin number that covers this, but you can ask your dealer about it.

About the noise in the speaker - Is it a front speaker? Or is it the speaker in the very back, in the cargo area? If it's like a buzzing from one of your front speakers, then they may need to replace the speaker.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My new center storage unit finally came in, it took them close to three weeks to get it, maybe a run on them? Makes me wonder if this isn't going to turn out to be a design problem. I probably opened mine less then a dozen times since I had the vehicle before it broke.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
Don B said:
Makes me wonder if this isn't going to turn out to be a design problem. I probably opened mine less then a dozen times since I had the vehicle before it broke.
With the number of failures, I def

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wouldn't want to have to pay for one out of my own pocket. $104.00 plus $17.00 labor

·
Registered
31 Posts
Took mine in on Monday and they had to order the part. Told me it was on backorder, so apparently there has been a run on them. Of course they told me that I was the ONLY one who had this problem. They also checked the TCM/ECM and claimed it was up to date.....car made last November.

Twice I told my service manager that they needed to be monitoring this list because although they claim that they have had NO complaints about the Terrain, there were plenty of people who did, including those who were having the same problems as I do.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts